1520 performance: is 8.1 to blame?

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
What a perfectly silly question. Of course 8.1 is (at least partially) to blame. You've installed a developer preview which hasn't been optimized for any particular phone and has no device specific firmware or drivers yet. There are undoubtedly going to be performance issues with almost any prerelease software which is why I haven't installed and won't until it officially rolls out with cyan My daily driver is a tool I need to consistently work reliably, not an experimental toy.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
When you say screen touch problems, do you mean that the slightest touch will open an app, or a link, or whatever is there? Mine does that and it is so annoying. I also have the problem now after 8.1, whenever I slide to unlock the screen, it goes back to the last app used sometimes and not the homescreen. Very weird.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
What a perfectly silly question. Of course 8.1 is (at least partially) to blame. You've installed a developer preview which hasn't been optimized for any particular phone and has no device specific firmware or drivers yet. There are undoubtedly going to be performance issues with almost any prerelease software which is why I haven't installed and won't until it officially rolls out with cyan My daily driver is a tool I need to consistently work reliably, not an experimental toy.

You may be on to something here :)

Blake Quartly

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

No need for the accusational tone.. If you actually read the forum, the consensus is that the firmware update should fix some things. The reason I asked this question was to determine if 1520s were like this by nature, because I went straight to 8.1. And it's hardly an experimental toy lol, way more productive overall with 8.1 now.

Last edited:

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I just finished updating my Lumia 1520 to WP8.1. It runs faster than when I was using WP8.0, no lags when scrolling and playing. Games and apps run fine. Still putting the battery performance to the test though.

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Mine works fine (tap issue aside) with pre-release (which it isn't, it's final code. I wish people would stop saying this!) software.

The firmware update (Cyan) will most likely fix any issues. Hopefully.

tanyet

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When you say that apps run fine do you mean smooth? I came from IOS and it seems that most apps over there use the same OS controls to scroll. The scrolling in most apps look just like the scrolling safari which is butter smooth.

I've noticed in WP that the OS is usually smooth (with the occasional jitter here or there) but there are tons of apps that are janky as hell. I guess what I'm saying is why aren't all apps as smooth as IE on WP? Do you think it's an optimization problem or a 1520 issue ?

Planet X

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't resist any longer. Yesterday evening I started the update on my 2nd 3 day old Lumia 1520. This time I am surprised. I can still play Subway Surf as a champ and can enjoy Google push mail. Also it seems that my phone is a lot faster than before. Now waiting for Cyan.

zwuncki

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I will sell my L1520. It's just way too buggy, and WP8.1 isn't beta at all. The Software is already sold with 630 and 930 in 1-2 weeks. Can't be beta at all. And the tap issues since I bought it...
Yesterday the device which I just hardreseted the 3rd time after updating to WP8.1 because of issues, just randomly restarted after losing about 40% battery in an hour (everything turned off, not used, airplane mode). Bugs happen all the time. Then the lockscreen bug and tap issues.

I'm bored and trying the HTC M8. If the 930 should get Glance and 8.1 runs perfectly there, I will consider the L930.

Still have the 820. And again: Not ONE bug on my 820. Can't be that the highend killer beast is buggy all the time and the old 820 runs perfectly.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I will sell my L1520. It's just way too buggy, and WP8.1 isn't beta at all. The Software is already sold with 630 and 930 in 1-2 weeks. Can't be beta at all. And the tap issues since I bought it...
Yesterday the device which I just hardreseted the 3rd time after updating to WP8.1 because of issues, just randomly restarted after losing about 40% battery in an hour (everything turned off, not used, airplane mode). Bugs happen all the time. Then the lockscreen bug and tap issues.

I'm bored and trying the HTC M8. If the 930 should get Glance and 8.1 runs perfectly there, I will consider the L930.

Still have the 820. And again: Not ONE bug on my 820. Can't be that the highend killer beast is buggy all the time and the old 820 runs perfectly.
It isn't in beta for 6/930, but for the rest it is because of different hardware and firmware.
Thats also the reason that some phones have distinct bugs in 8.1

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
It isn't in beta for 6/930, but for the rest it is because of different hardware and firmware.
Thats also the reason that some phones have distinct bugs in 8.1

Nope. The OS is final code. Not in beta. Not a preview, despite the name. Not a development version..............................

The Cyan update will include:

1.) The SAME OS code that is currently available via the DP program
2.) An updated Firmware specific to your device, in our case the 1520
3.) Updates to Nokia Apps such as Touch and Glance

Any bug fixes will be included in 2 and/or 3, depending on what they are.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Nope. The OS is final code. Not in beta. Not a preview, despite the name. Not a development version..............................

The Cyan update will include:

1.) The SAME OS code that is currently available via the DP program
2.) An updated Firmware specific to your device, in our case the 1520
3.) Updates to Nokia Apps such as Touch and Glance

Any bug fixes will be included in 2 and/or 3, depending on what they are.

What is your take on the update then?

On a side note did you get your fitbag yet and what do you think of it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel