1520 screen sensitivity.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
After turnig off dubble tap to wake, vibration on the windows keys and glace, the problem is almost completely gone for me. Sucks I can't have those features turned on, but at least it works. (Btw its worked for several months now).

This combination did not work for me. I noticed no change.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I've tried everything and still receive phantom taps. I think it is a hardware issue. As another person stated on the numerous threads about this...if this was such a widespread problem, Nokia wouldn't of waited to package the fixes in the next firmware update (cyan)- strictly speaking if this was a firmware issue... If a product is broken and the company is aware of the problem (and has been since launch) then ideally it should be of best interest of the company to fix the problem asap (for the consumer). ...Just my two cents (especially being in the software business)...but then again, I guess we'll find out if this is a hardware vs software problem after the next firmware update (cyan) is released.

PS. Stating that this is an OS problem is irrelevant here. It can only be a) firmware or b) hardware

Since basically 8.0 and 8.1 produce the same issues on both of my 1520's...(one is an ATT model, the other is a Qi unlocked model from Amazon).

Last edited:

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
After turnig off dubble tap to wake, vibration on the windows keys and glace, the problem is almost completely gone for me. Sucks I can't have those features turned on, but at least it works. (Btw its worked for several months now).

Hmm. Seems like turning off the vibration of the keys work better for me now.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I've found the issue to be one of the past couple "touch" update.

This issue was in wp8.0 and I noticed those touch errors came after a specific update. I reset my phone and noticed a complete 180. Zero touch screen issues.

After updating to 8.1 and installed it again, the issue came back. Uninstalling it worked the same.

So try uninstalling "without factory resetting" and see if this works for you.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Lol I have touch uninstalled even after doing a hard reset and reflashing the OS/firmware from NCS... (and have ever since we've known how to uninstall OEM sys apps)...

Both phones I might add...are still doing this.

One of these days, I'll have enough time to demonstrate my frustrations through video with this...

cocotutch

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I noticed this issue happening on a few 1520's even in Video Reviews. Is it very widespread or is it limited to only a subset of 1520 devices? General consensus requested :)

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this issue happening on a few 1520's even in Video Reviews. Is it very widespread or is it limited to only a subset of 1520 devices? General consensus requested :)

Based on the poll I created a while ago it's very widespread (although the severity/frequency varies)

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Here is a new support page on Microsoft's community support pages...(since MS owns Nokia now). It links to the (23) paged Nokia support page about this issue. Lol

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...da735?tm=1399534920060&rtAction=1400856799795

Now that I'm thinking... The OP says in the MS forum is that it "could" be an OS issue due to the various API calls since it has different hardware. The API calls could be coded for certain hardware (which up till the 1520, most WP has been strictly the same -discounting the 1020 since it does have the same hardware but a dedicated video processor) ...so therefore it "could" be an OS issue...but my $$ still says it's a hardware issue.

Last edited:

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Here is a new support page on Microsoft's community support pages...(since MS owns Nokia now). It links to the (23) paged Nokia support page about this issue. Lol

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...da735?tm=1399534920060&rtAction=1400856799795

Now that I'm thinking... The OP says in the MS forum is that it "could" be an OS issue due to the various API calls since it has different hardware. The API calls could be coded for certain hardware (which up till the 1520, most WP has been strictly the same -discounting the 1020 since it does have the same hardware but a dedicated video processor) ...so therefore it "could" be an OS issue...but my $$ still says it's a hardware issue.
I went to the page and voted but with two thousand votes already you think this feature would get more notice.

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I must admit, I have been a bit confused about this one for a while. As far as I can tell, there are a lot of people (perhaps not all) that are putting the phone sensitivity on high, noting that this setting makes the sensitivity so ridiculously high that it can detect your finger through gloves (something a phone would not normally do), and then complaining when they do not have gloves on it is too sensitive? They then note that putting sensitivity back to normal fixes the problem, but claim there is an issue? If they changed the wording to ' glove setting' would people accept that sometimes, when not wearing gloves, it might be a bit over-sensitive and register a tap as your finger directly approaches the screen?

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Easycure1974

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I must admit, I have been a bit confused about this one for a while. As far as I can tell, there are a lot of people (perhaps not all) that are putting the phone sensitivity on high, noting that this setting makes the sensitivity so ridiculously high that it can detect your finger through gloves (something a phone would not normally do), and then complaining when they do not have gloves on it is too sensitive? They then note that putting sensitivity back to normal fixes the problem, but claim there is an issue? If they changed the wording to ' glove setting' would people accept that sometimes, when not wearing gloves, it might be a bit over-sensitive and register a tap as your finger directly approaches the screen?

The problem is that I always have sensitivity at normal and not high and the ugly bug is still there so no, setting it to normal does not fix the problem

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that I always have sensitivity at normal and not high and the ugly bug is still there so no, setting it to normal does not fix the problem

So you fall into the perhaps not all category. I appreciate some people, like yourself, appear to have a genuine issue. Perhaps something funky is going on where yours is getting stuck on high, regardless of what is reported. The problem is, I think the issue is getting confused by loads (and I mean loads, both on here and the Nokia site) of people complaining as I have described above, which can't be helping getting the issue fixed. At best if Nokia/Microsoft manage to satisfy these people/fix their issue, we will all be left with a high sensitivity mode that barely works with gloves on, at worst we'll end up with.... Well, actually, who knows!?

Easycure1974

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
So you fall into the perhaps not all category. I appreciate some people, like yourself, appear to have a genuine issue. Perhaps something funky is going on where yours is getting stuck on high, regardless of what is reported. The problem is, I think the issue is getting confused by loads (and I mean loads, both on here and the Nokia site) of people complaining as I have described above, which can't be helping getting the issue fixed. At best if Nokia/Microsoft manage to satisfy these people/fix their issue, we will all be left with a high sensitivity mode that barely works with gloves on, at worst we'll end up with.... Well, actually, who knows!?

I have done several factory resets, trying the 8.1 dp and running with no app installed at all and the problem is still there and I am on my third device. Will be selling the device and get a Lumia 930 instead beacuse this really drives me crazy when it happens especially beacuse of WPs irritating long animination when going back from the app that accidently was started to the app list

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why the phone it set to Height Sensitivity and people have to choose to turn it off, surely it should be the other way around.

I don't have it that bad at all and only on some apps but I was thinking about it last night and since I have been changing the back on the phone I haven't had it or maybe I just can't remember having it but I spent an hour or more trying to make it happen on the apps that it happened most on (My 500px) and not once has it happened. I'm sure it is just coincidence but I will keep an eye on it from now on.

For people that don't know my phone is black but I got spare backs in the other colours but I have a yellow one on it at the minute.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Another thing, does anyone think that the real reason for the Icon/930 not having glance and double tap is the screen sensitivity and has nothing to do with what or how the screen is made.

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I still have the problem in certain apps. The Ebay app, Sky Sports News app and oddly enough the WP Central app is the latest one I've noticed that activates the bug.

General navigating around the OS is by and large still phantom tap free though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon