1520 screen sensitivity.

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Before updating to WP8.1, this often happens to me. After the update, it seems to have lessened, but it's still there. It happens a lot when I'm at the store. Good thing it doesn't happen (or very rarely happens) when playing games.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I got the 1320 today. Wow...so this is how a smartphone is supposed to work! :)

Performance seems to be on par with the 1520 for the apps I use. And I actually think the screen looks better (granted, my eyes aren't the best).

And best of all....no tap/swipe issues!!!!!

Sweet! Glad you are liking your 1320. I totally agree with what you say. I especially like the brightness and clarity of the screen too. Now, on eBay you can find each of the official different colored shells/battery doors for around 8$US each. If you want a case, I suggest the Nillkin snap on cases which can be found on eBay too for around 10$US. Anyway, enjoy your new phone. :)

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is a sad state of affairs, 6+ months after the release of the phone and another long thread with the issue still unresolved.

I bought the phone straight after release (Dec 2013) but it was summarily returned for a refund as it was largely unusable.

I have been waiting ever since for a fix to dive back back in and have been sorely disappointed.

It pains me to say it as a die hard fan of WP (I still use my 920 as my daily driver) but its low consumer adoption (esp in the US) and even lower in the phablet space is plain for all to see.

Nokia/MSFT don't seem to be bothered fixing the issue as it only affects a tiny (niche) user base.

It pains me even more to say that if the "dark" side releases (as is rumoured) a phablet alongside (or shortly after) their annual iteration then my WP experiment might be soon over.

cptlo306

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Sweet! Glad you are liking your 1320. I totally agree with what you say. I especially like the brightness and clarity of the screen too. Now, on eBay you can find each of the official different colored shells/battery doors for around 8$US each. If you want a case, I suggest the Nillkin snap on cases which can be found on eBay too for around 10$US. Anyway, enjoy your new phone. :)

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Thanks. It's really working well so far. Now I wish I had bought the 1320 from the beginning.

This is a sad state of affairs, 6+ months after the release of the phone and another long thread with the issue still unresolved.

I bought the phone straight after release (Dec 2013) but it was summarily returned for a refund as it was largely unusable.

I have been waiting ever since for a fix to dive back back in and have been sorely disappointed.

It pains me to say it as a die hard fan of WP (I still use my 920 as my daily driver) but its low consumer adoption (esp in the US) and even lower in the phablet space is plain for all to see.

Nokia/MSFT don't seem to be bothered fixing the issue as it only affects a tiny (niche) user base.

It pains me even more to say that if the "dark" side releases (as is rumoured) a phablet alongside (or shortly after) their annual iteration then my WP experiment might be soon over.

Get a 1320 like I did. It doesn't have this problem and works pretty well.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Anybody issue fix with newest update?

In the comments on the main page, some people are saying the latest WP8.1 dev preview update has fixed the issue. Then again, this has happened a lot of times before (people saying an updated fixed it) and the issue later returned. Interested to see what people's experiences are in this thread - please share :)

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
In the comments on the main page, some people are saying the latest WP8.1 dev preview update has fixed the issue. Then again, this has happened a lot of times before (people saying an updated fixed it) and the issue later returned. Interested to see what people's experiences are in this thread - please share :)

Changed my post...after a few days of having the display update...most of my phantom taps have disappeared. It still happens from time to time, but its definitely better.

Last edited:

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
PS the 1520 is the best phone I've ever owned. Doesn't mean it's without faults.

Agreed, I believe no phone is without faults...or at least not perfect. But then again, it is objective to say that since most people have different views of what is or isn't ideal to them. Since this is a fan site of Windows Phone, there is a lot of cognitive dissonance amongst the community. -Not that I'm stating that you or anyone else on this thread is guilty of it, but one things for sure...the 1520 to me is not the perfect phone. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1520's, but after owning/(still own) other Nokia phones, disappointment is the only word that comes to mind. The 1520 feels like a beta phone to me. Something went wrong during the quality assurance testing with this product and I truly believe that the 1520 should have not been released until all controls were properly tested and all issues were fixed. -But then again, that is my own opinion.

If there are people who owned the HTC Titan (at least the ATT version) the past...they know exactly what I'm talking about. The ATT Titan suffered from horrible antennagate issues (which at times was completely useless as a phone) only to find that HTC screwed up with the aluminum casing and antenna modules. -What does HTC do to correct the problem? four months later...release a new product with a different enclosure, upgrade the camera sensor and call it the Titan 2 and that was that!

Phones are 600-800$ pieces of hardware nowadays. Proper quality controls better be in place for consumers to get what they pay for.

Am I happy that most of the phantom taps are gone? Of course, but think about all those other 1520 users who have moved on since it has literally taken months for a proper fix? Does it negatively impact the company? Of course!

/end of rant.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, I believe no phone is without faults...or at least not perfect. But then again, it is objective to say that since most people have different views of what is or isn't ideal to them. Since this is a fan site of Windows Phone, there is a lot of cognitive dissonance amongst the community. -Not that I'm stating that you or anyone else on this thread is guilty of it, but one things for sure...the 1520 to me is not the perfect phone. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1520's, but after owning/(still own) other Nokia phones, disappointment is the only word that comes to mind. The 1520 feels like a beta phone to me. Something went wrong during the quality assurance testing with this product and I truly believe that the 1520 should have not been released until all controls were properly tested and all issues were fixed. -But then again, that is my own opinion.

If there are people who owned the HTC Titan (at least the ATT version) the past...they know exactly what I'm talking about. The ATT Titan suffered from horrible antennagate issues (which at times was completely useless as a phone) only to find that HTC screwed up with the aluminum casing and antenna modules. -What does HTC do to correct the problem? four months later...release a new product with a different enclosure, upgrade the camera sensor and call it the Titan 2 and that was that!

Phones are 600-800$ pieces of hardware nowadays. Proper quality controls better be in place for consumers to get what they pay for.

Am I happy that most of the phantom taps are gone? Of course, but think about all those other 1520 users who have moved on since it has literally taken months for a proper fix? Does it negatively impact the company? Of course!

/end of rant.
It's been super annoying but it's nothing I haven't gotten used to. I think most of my problems with the phone comes from the OS. It's amazing but at times bafflingly frustrating.

lsmachado

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I never really had the touch/swipe issue until after the second 8.1 update. I hard reset my phone and it really didn't seem to help much. Now, after this last update, I have a lot of trouble logging in to my phone. I barely touch the keypad once and it will register 4 digits. Then it tells me I entered the wrong password. It takes several attempts to get past the login screen. I'm afraid I will end up locking myself out of the phone, but I don't want to take off the security of requiring the password. I sure hope the next update fixes this; it's so frustrating! Sensitivity is set to "normal". 😒

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
But what's weird is the double tap to wake up feature for the most part never works. Usual it's a quadruple or more taps to wake up lol. Anyone else having these issues?

I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this in a previous post, but could it be the ambient light sensor that causes the more than two taps for turning on? I have this same issue on my 1520 whenever I open my flip cover case and try to double tap to turn it on before the cover's shadow is off the ambient light sensor.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this in a previous post, but could it be the ambient light sensor that causes the more than two taps for turning on? I have this same issue on my 1520 whenever I open my flip cover case and try to double tap to turn it on before the cover's shadow is off the ambient light sensor.

Is there any way for us to do any adjustments with that sensor?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way for us to do any adjustments with that sensor?

Other than the sunlight readability setting I don't think so. I just tried covering the sensor and turning the phone off and on with double tap a bunch of times and I think the problem could actually just be the timing between taps - too slow and it won't turn on.

Edit:
After having my phone off for a long time it does become unresponsive for a few seconds no matter how fast or slow I tapped. I'm back to square one on my guesses about why this is happening - except for the obvious that it's just a developer preview issue/bug.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Just adding myself to this inglorious club, got a unicorn 1520.3 a few days ago and have the sensitivity issue. Switched to normal from high sensitivity and it definitely helped but not fixed. This is actually my first Lumia device that has had an inherent fault, all my others (900, 920, 1020) all worked fine and never manifested any major bugs like this. Gives me pause about buying a phone from these guys again, and its pretty poor they've ignored it for over 6 months.

In their own way they are like the worst of the other OEM's, sell a phone and ignore glaring problems hoping people will get fed up and upgrade to the next one they release. Disgraceful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss