07-25-2014 01:54 AM
156 12345 ...
tools
    What phone has been released for a year?
    I meant last year, I've corrected my post. :)
    oditius likes this.
    05-25-2014 09:12 PM
    He's definitely not referring to the 1520. I'm not sure sure when it was released, but it's not a year ago.
    Yeah, sorry I meant released last year.
    oditius and xconomicron like this.
    05-25-2014 09:13 PM
    One thing that helps with the hyper sensitivity (when unlocking using the PIN method) is to hold down the back button on the lockscreeen. It goes nuts, then settles down. Then you can enter your 4-digit PIN without it freaking out on you.
    05-25-2014 10:33 PM
    My guess is Nokia Glance is definitely to blame, as is Tap-to-wake. As a developer, hijacking touch detection from the OS to do a custom function CAN be the root cause of a whole lot of trouble.

Has anybody tried actually REMOVING Nokia Glance and Tap-to-wake? Not just turning it off? I mean I can't test this myself, but that's just my 2c.
    05-26-2014 08:04 AM
    Has anyone with the problem switched to the 1320? Does the 1320 have the same problem? I've searched the 1320 forum and didn't see any related posts but figured I'd ask here also.

​Thanks!
    05-26-2014 10:26 AM
    I have a 1520 and a 1320, and the screen sensitivity issue is only present on my 1520. I love my 1520, but the 1320 is a wonderful device as well.
    05-26-2014 10:34 AM
    The screen of the 1320 has the same size but it is absolutely different. It's not Full HD resolution.
    05-26-2014 11:44 AM
    I have a 1520 and a 1320, and the screen sensitivity issue is only present on my 1520. I love my 1520, but the 1320 is a wonderful device as well.
    How does the 1320 compare from a performance standpoint for basic things like Facebook and Twitter?

​Thanks!
    05-26-2014 12:03 PM
    My guess is Nokia Glance is definitely to blame, as is Tap-to-wake. As a developer, hijacking touch detection from the OS to do a custom function CAN be the root cause of a whole lot of trouble.

Has anybody tried actually REMOVING Nokia Glance and Tap-to-wake? Not just turning it off? I mean I can't test this myself, but that's just my 2c.
    I want to say that I've already tried this at some point. I remember one instance removing Glance (by mistake) and Touch. -Can't remember that it made any difference.

I'll try removing Glance today and see what happens...
    05-26-2014 01:02 PM
    How does the 1320 compare from a performance standpoint for basic things like Facebook and Twitter?

​Thanks!
    Honestly, the only noticeable differences that I've seen between the 1320 and the 1520 are the screen and camera. The resolutions are different, and you can see the difference if you put them side by side, but it is really hardly noticeable...only a problem to really technologically savvy people. The 1520's screen is beautiful as we all know. The 1320's screen is slightly less awesome, but a lot brighter, and really very nice. I really like its brightness. I haven't seen any difference in app performance on each. I've set them down side by side and swiped, opened, closed, etc, and really can't see a difference in performance. I'm sure there is, but it is very, very slight. The Facebook app and the Facebook Messenger app are equally slow on both phones though. Twitter runs perfectly on both. I love my 1520, but the only real advantage it has over the 1320 is it's camera abilities and screen resolution. Funny thing is, I'm using my 1320 now because my flagship 1520 is being repaired by Nokia at the moment because it completely went crazy on me. :)
    05-26-2014 02:38 PM
    Considering some of the other minor touch issues I've heard about (not as bad as the 1520) on other devices, I think the Snapdragon 800 processor may be to blame.
    05-26-2014 04:19 PM

Yes, a number of people have tried this and it did not fix the problem.
    05-26-2014 04:20 PM
    I just ordered a 1320 so that pretty much guarantees Nokia will put out a fix for the problem very soon.
    05-26-2014 04:25 PM
    Enjoy your new 1320. :)
    05-26-2014 06:02 PM
    Thanks. I'll keep the 1520 for a while with the hope Nokia will actually fix the problem at some point.
    05-26-2014 06:15 PM
    I'll be keeping mine too. According to UPS, I should get it back from Nokia tomorrow by 4:30. I'm anxious to see what they did to it and how it behaves.
    05-26-2014 11:04 PM
    I'll be keeping mine too. According to UPS, I should get it back from Nokia tomorrow by 4:30. I'm anxious to see what they did to it and how it behaves.
    Did you post why you sent it in? I sent in one of my 1520's for the sensitivity and autobrightness (proximity sensor) issue...stated nothing was wrong -___-

Held the phone for two weeks at the Ft. Worth repair center. :/
    05-26-2014 11:16 PM
    I don't think I got into specifics, but about a week after installing 8.1, my screen started freezing up on me. At first, it was more like a delay of 10 to 15 seconds after double tapping or pressing the power button. Then, over the course of the next week, the delays turned into freezes. Soft resets didn't even work at first. Oddly enough, though, after 10 or so minutes, I could open apps but the screw was black...the phone was apparently powering up, but not powering up the screen. Usually, after three or four soft resets, the phone would power up normally though. But these events started to progressively get worse...happening every two hours or so. Then, about a week ago, I turned on my phone and within a few minutes of use, the image on the screen started wavering like jello. Within a few seconds the screen would repeat itself over and over again as the image drifted off usually to the left and upward direction...almost like it was taking multiple screenshots. Then it would freeze, and I'd have to go through the soft resets over and over. I used the Nokia software recovery tool to flash back to WP8, but the issue followed me. I went back to 8.1 then back to 8 again before I finally sent it in. I'm really hoping they fixed it.
    05-26-2014 11:42 PM
    I don't think I got into specifics, but about a week after installing 8.1, my screen started freezing up on me. At first, it was more like a delay of 10 to 15 seconds after double tapping or pressing the power button. Then, over the course of the next week, the delays turned into freezes. Soft resets didn't even work at first. Oddly enough, though, after 10 or so minutes, I could open apps but the screw was black...the phone was apparently powering up, but not powering up the screen. Usually, after three or four soft resets, the phone would power up normally though. But these events started to progressively get worse...happening every two hours or so. Then, about a week ago, I turned on my phone and within a few minutes of use, the image on the screen started wavering like jello. Within a few seconds the screen would repeat itself over and over again as the image drifted off usually to the left and upward direction...almost like it was taking multiple screenshots. Then it would freeze, and I'd have to go through the soft resets over and over. I used the Nokia software recovery tool to flash back to WP8, but the issue followed me. I went back to 8.1 then back to 8 again before I finally sent it in. I'm really hoping they fixed it.
    Interesting...hope they fixed it...or -you get a warranty swap.
    05-27-2014 12:48 AM
    Well, today has been a fairly constant reading day for me. All my books are electronic form since I literally have no more room to store books in my house. Usually just been reading off my phone since my old WP7 days...

A few hours in I had to switch to my 1020 due to the phantom taps. (sad, right?) -I uninstalled Glance earlier today w/ tap to wake left unchanged from the off setting. Did a soft reset right after...So like I assumed, uninstalling glance did not help :(

I will keep Glance uninstalled though for the time being.
    Last edited by xconomicron; 05-27-2014 at 02:12 AM.
    05-27-2014 12:56 AM
    I had to uninstall Glance and Touch apps. My phone is largely phantom tap free now, although I still get the problem when using some apps, Ebay and WP Central apps to name two.

If you are going down this route you need to use the "date trick" to uninstall the apps properly. I would also suggest uninstalling the Extras & Info app. This was originally updated by Nokia to "fix" the phantom tap bug, so must be complicit in the problem to some degree. I haven't done this yet but I will get round to it this week.

Let us know how you get on.
    05-27-2014 03:46 AM
    I had to uninstall Glance and Touch apps. My phone is largely phantom tap free now, although I still get the problem when using some apps, Ebay and WP Central apps to name two.

If you are going down this route you need to use the "date trick" to uninstall the apps properly. I would also suggest uninstalling the Extras & Info app. This was originally updated by Nokia to "fix" the phantom tap bug, so must be complicit in the problem to some degree. I haven't done this yet but I will get round to it this week.

Let us know how you get on.
    How do you uninstall glance?
    05-27-2014 04:29 AM
    I'm still thinking that Display+Touch and Extras+Info and Glance are to blame. Afterall, there has to be a reason why they're not included on the Lumia 930.

Let us know how you get on Psycorp. :)
    05-27-2014 08:56 AM
    The problem isn't super frequent, but it's enough to remain in the back of your head every time you scroll through the phone. It's a bit of a shame that such a wonderful, powerful device is hamstrung a bit by what one would think is such a standard operation. I'll consider switching to either an Xperia Z2 or Lumia 930 (it's a half inch or so too small to me and it'll suck to do without Glance, plus I prefer the 1520's design, but whatcha gonna do?) once the latter has been out enough to ensure there are no such swipe/scroll/tap bugs. Let's face it, there is no fix for this... you either learn to live with it or you switch phones.
    xconomicron likes this.
    05-27-2014 10:55 AM
    The problem isn't super frequent, but it's enough to remain in the back of your head every time you scroll through the phone. It's a bit of a shame that such a wonderful, powerful device is hamstrung a bit by what one would think is such a standard operation. I'll consider switching to either an Xperia Z2 or Lumia 930 (it's a half inch or so too small to me and it'll suck to do without Glance, plus I prefer the 1520's design, but whatcha gonna do?) once the latter has been out enough to ensure there are no such swipe/scroll/tap bugs. Let's face it, there is no fix for this... you either learn to live with it or you switch phones.
    for me the problem is very frequent. I would say it's once every few minutes, some times multiple times a minute.
    05-27-2014 02:02 PM
156 12345 ...