1520 screen sensitivity.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Considering some of the other minor touch issues I've heard about (not as bad as the 1520) on other devices, I think the Snapdragon 800 processor may be to blame.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My guess is Nokia Glance is definitely to blame, as is Tap-to-wake. As a developer, hijacking touch detection from the OS to do a custom function CAN be the root cause of a whole lot of trouble.

Has anybody tried actually REMOVING Nokia Glance and Tap-to-wake? Not just turning it off? I mean I can't test this myself, but that's just my 2c.

Yes, a number of people have tried this and it did not fix the problem.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'll be keeping mine too. According to UPS, I should get it back from Nokia tomorrow by 4:30. I'm anxious to see what they did to it and how it behaves.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I'll be keeping mine too. According to UPS, I should get it back from Nokia tomorrow by 4:30. I'm anxious to see what they did to it and how it behaves.

Did you post why you sent it in? I sent in one of my 1520's for the sensitivity and autobrightness (proximity sensor) issue...stated nothing was wrong -___-

Held the phone for two weeks at the Ft. Worth repair center. :/

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I got into specifics, but about a week after installing 8.1, my screen started freezing up on me. At first, it was more like a delay of 10 to 15 seconds after double tapping or pressing the power button. Then, over the course of the next week, the delays turned into freezes. Soft resets didn't even work at first. Oddly enough, though, after 10 or so minutes, I could open apps but the screw was black...the phone was apparently powering up, but not powering up the screen. Usually, after three or four soft resets, the phone would power up normally though. But these events started to progressively get worse...happening every two hours or so. Then, about a week ago, I turned on my phone and within a few minutes of use, the image on the screen started wavering like jello. Within a few seconds the screen would repeat itself over and over again as the image drifted off usually to the left and upward direction...almost like it was taking multiple screenshots. Then it would freeze, and I'd have to go through the soft resets over and over. I used the Nokia software recovery tool to flash back to WP8, but the issue followed me. I went back to 8.1 then back to 8 again before I finally sent it in. I'm really hoping they fixed it.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I don't think I got into specifics, but about a week after installing 8.1, my screen started freezing up on me. At first, it was more like a delay of 10 to 15 seconds after double tapping or pressing the power button. Then, over the course of the next week, the delays turned into freezes. Soft resets didn't even work at first. Oddly enough, though, after 10 or so minutes, I could open apps but the screw was black...the phone was apparently powering up, but not powering up the screen. Usually, after three or four soft resets, the phone would power up normally though. But these events started to progressively get worse...happening every two hours or so. Then, about a week ago, I turned on my phone and within a few minutes of use, the image on the screen started wavering like jello. Within a few seconds the screen would repeat itself over and over again as the image drifted off usually to the left and upward direction...almost like it was taking multiple screenshots. Then it would freeze, and I'd have to go through the soft resets over and over. I used the Nokia software recovery tool to flash back to WP8, but the issue followed me. I went back to 8.1 then back to 8 again before I finally sent it in. I'm really hoping they fixed it.

Interesting...hope they fixed it...or -you get a warranty swap.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Well, today has been a fairly constant reading day for me. All my books are electronic form since I literally have no more room to store books in my house. Usually just been reading off my phone since my old WP7 days...

A few hours in I had to switch to my 1020 due to the phantom taps. (sad, right?) -I uninstalled Glance earlier today w/ tap to wake left unchanged from the off setting. Did a soft reset right after...So like I assumed, uninstalling glance did not help :(

I will keep Glance uninstalled though for the time being.

Last edited:

Psycorp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I had to uninstall Glance and Touch apps. My phone is largely phantom tap free now, although I still get the problem when using some apps, Ebay and WP Central apps to name two.

If you are going down this route you need to use the "date trick" to uninstall the apps properly. I would also suggest uninstalling the Extras & Info app. This was originally updated by Nokia to "fix" the phantom tap bug, so must be complicit in the problem to some degree. I haven't done this yet but I will get round to it this week.

Let us know how you get on.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I had to uninstall Glance and Touch apps. My phone is largely phantom tap free now, although I still get the problem when using some apps, Ebay and WP Central apps to name two.

If you are going down this route you need to use the "date trick" to uninstall the apps properly. I would also suggest uninstalling the Extras & Info app. This was originally updated by Nokia to "fix" the phantom tap bug, so must be complicit in the problem to some degree. I haven't done this yet but I will get round to it this week.

Let us know how you get on.
How do you uninstall glance?

cocotutch

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm still thinking that Display+Touch and Extras+Info and Glance are to blame. Afterall, there has to be a reason why they're not included on the Lumia 930.

Let us know how you get on Psycorp. :)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem isn't super frequent, but it's enough to remain in the back of your head every time you scroll through the phone. It's a bit of a shame that such a wonderful, powerful device is hamstrung a bit by what one would think is such a standard operation. I'll consider switching to either an Xperia Z2 or Lumia 930 (it's a half inch or so too small to me and it'll suck to do without Glance, plus I prefer the 1520's design, but whatcha gonna do?) once the latter has been out enough to ensure there are no such swipe/scroll/tap bugs. Let's face it, there is no fix for this... you either learn to live with it or you switch phones.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
The problem isn't super frequent, but it's enough to remain in the back of your head every time you scroll through the phone. It's a bit of a shame that such a wonderful, powerful device is hamstrung a bit by what one would think is such a standard operation. I'll consider switching to either an Xperia Z2 or Lumia 930 (it's a half inch or so too small to me and it'll suck to do without Glance, plus I prefer the 1520's design, but whatcha gonna do?) once the latter has been out enough to ensure there are no such swipe/scroll/tap bugs. Let's face it, there is no fix for this... you either learn to live with it or you switch phones.
for me the problem is very frequent. I would say it's once every few minutes, some times multiple times a minute.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
for me the problem is very frequent. I would say it's once every few minutes, some times multiple times a minute.

Ditto. Same for me..on my ATT 1520. The international 1520, does it less frequently but still annoying as hell.

You can uninstall Glance and Touch by setting your date on the phone to year 2115+ or whatever...after you change the date, go back into your settings to find the glance or touch app. It will give you an option to uninstall.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I got my 1520 back from Nokia repair today. Yay!
However, I am extremely angry with the result. I mean, I am wondering if a group of 1st graders repaired my phone! I am just infuriated! My phone is now worth a third of what it was before I sent it in.

Problem 1: The "repair" that Nokia performed was to simply reinstall the software. That's it! Nothing more. I used their very own software recovery tool 4 times to reinstall the software before I was just forced to send it in because it was acting so unstable.

Problem 2: The screen came back with over 20 scratches all over it. One of them is so deep, my fingernail actually catches on it, and it's over a quarter inch long. It's like they flipped it over and rubbed it on concrete while they were waiting on the software to install.

I always buy my phones off contract, paying full price, and I treat them like technological works of art. Cases, screen protectors, constant cleaning, etc, etc. My phone looked completely brand new when I sent it in. When it came back, it looked like it had spent the last year in the bottom of a back pack. The beautiful screen is totally ruined now!

I emailed Nokia, and plan to call them tomorrow. I really don't know what to expect. I'm just really, really disappointed.

cptlo306

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
However, I am extremely angry with the result. I mean, I am wondering if a group of 1st graders repaired my phone! I am just infuriated! My phone is now worth a third of what it was before I sent it in.

Problem 1: The "repair" that Nokia performed was to simply reinstall the software. That's it! Nothing more. I used their very own software recovery tool 4 times to reinstall the software before I was just forced to send it in because it was acting so unstable.

Problem 2: The screen came back with over 20 scratches all over it. One of them is so deep, my fingernail actually catches on it, and it's over a quarter inch long. It's like they flipped it over and rubbed it on concrete while they were waiting on the software to install.

I always buy my phones off contract, paying full price, and I treat them like technological works of art. Cases, screen protectors, constant cleaning, etc, etc. My phone looked completely brand new when I sent it in. When it came back, it looked like it had spent the last year in the bottom of a back pack. The beautiful screen is totally ruined now!

I emailed Nokia, and plan to call them tomorrow. I really don't know what to expect. I'm just really, really disappointed.

Wow! That sucks. Good luck getting a good resolution. Maybe they will end up sending you a new phone (they should).

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site

Awful...just awful. Raise hell! Tweet them on twitter..email...do whatever it takes. This is unacceptable...do whatever it takes to get this resolved.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I plan on getting this resolved, I just had to get myself calmed down a little bit before I contacted them. I don't want to go into this potential fiasco without being in complete control of my urge to drop around 75,000 F-bombs on 'em. lol

Still just utterly pissed though. :-(

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs