07-25-2014 12:54 AM
156 ... 4567
tools
    I am proud to say that, after having my Lumia 1520.1 arrive two days ago that I have put it to extensive tests and haven't found the touch sensitivity bug.

Could it be firmware revisions perhaps?
    06-10-2014 11:51 PM
    I am proud to say that, after having my Lumia 1520.1 arrive two days ago that I have put it to extensive tests and haven't found the touch sensitivity bug.

Could it be firmware revisions perhaps?
    What firmware version do you have?
    06-11-2014 01:24 PM
    Sent mine back today because of this issue. Totally frustrating experience when you cant guarantee the phone will work as expected and opens apps whenever it feels like, first Lumia I've had that I've returned. It was so bad now I have to retrain myself on my 1020 to use the screen properly, always half expecting it will happen here as well.
    06-11-2014 01:31 PM
    what firmware version do you have?
    firm: 1028.3562.1402.0003
    hwrev: 5.0.0.2

:)
    06-11-2014 11:07 PM
    For what it's worth here's my experience on this issue. I still have my original Lumia 1520, purchased on release day (USA).

With WP 8.0:
    Didn't have any screen sensitivity issues until after Glance was released and I activated it. With Glance turned on, I only had the sensitivity issues with the lock screen (using a PIN) once logged in, I would very rarely have a random tap while using the phone. The behavior on the PIN lock screen was like if someone was tapping the screen dozens of times very quickly. I found that if my held my thumb on the delete button it would "tap itself out", and stop acting up after I held my thumb on the screen for about 4-5 seconds.

After disabling Glance, I no longer had issues with the lock screen and very rarely (even less than before) had a random tap on my phone once logged in. With glance off I'd say I'd notice a phantom tap once every 3-4 days, and it would be one tap and done.

With WP 8.1 Developer Preview:
    I have not experienced any screen sensitivity phantom taps at all since installing WP8.1 through the Developer Preview. I have not tried activating Glance again though, and I haven't missed the feature at all so I don't intend to use it going forward.
    Last edited by Lumia Jack; 06-12-2014 at 12:03 AM.
    dellaster likes this.
    06-11-2014 11:50 PM
    After disabling Glance, I no longer had issues with the lock screen...

Wow, that worked! Touch/swipe is normal now, or close enough to make me very happy. Thanks! If turning off Glance was mentioned before as a fix I didn't see it. :)
    06-12-2014 09:33 AM
    For what it's worth here's my experience on this issue. I still have my original Lumia 1520, purchased on release day (USA).

With WP 8.0:
    Didn't have any screen sensitivity issues until after Glance was released and I activated it. With Glance turned on, I only had the sensitivity issues with the lock screen (using a PIN) once logged in, I would very rarely have a random tap while using the phone. The behavior on the PIN lock screen was like if someone was tapping the screen dozens of times very quickly. I found that if my held my thumb on the delete button it would "tap itself out", and stop acting up after I held my thumb on the screen for about 4-5 seconds.

After disabling Glance, I no longer had issues with the lock screen and very rarely (even less than before) had a random tap on my phone once logged in. With glance off I'd say I'd notice a phantom tap once every 3-4 days, and it would be one tap and done.

With WP 8.1 Developer Preview:
    I have not experienced any screen sensitivity phantom taps at all since installing WP8.1 through the Developer Preview. I have not tried activating Glance again though, and I haven't missed the feature at all so I don't intend to use it going forward.
    Glance and the Touch app have been discussed quite a bit regarding its relationship with this bug. People have tried every combination of uninstallations and feature disabling you can think of, including getting rid of Glance, Touch, and disabling haptic feedback. None of these things worked.

Suffice it to say this is undoubtedly a hardware issue, though it does not affect all 1520s.
    06-12-2014 10:28 AM
    New WP update out. Any updaters find any fixes in this version? I don't think I'm going to update just yet.
    06-12-2014 02:07 PM
    Not sure it this is a hardware issue. There are times when the screen works flawlessly clicking and navigating the start screen. Other times when acting up, you can't get the screen to scroll no matter what you do. If this was a sensor problem in the screen or some other hardware issue, wouldn't this behavior be consistent? HOPING they get this fixed!
    06-13-2014 10:43 PM
    I'm starting to notice it tends to happen more for me in specific apps than it does in others. I don't know if this is due to some apps having more of a noticeable consequence because of accidental taps or because the app is doing accidental taps more.
    06-14-2014 05:02 AM
    I'm starting to notice it tends to happen more for me in specific apps than it does in others. I don't know if this is due to some apps having more of a noticeable consequence because of accidental taps or because the app is doing accidental taps more.
    I found the same and especially with the app My 500px but after I let my phone fall on the floor while changing the back, it fell without the back on the phone but since then I haven't had any problems.

It was never bad though.
    06-14-2014 07:19 AM
    Frustrating...really wanted to try the 1520 until I started to see lots of complaints about the phantom touches. I have the same thing in my Dell Venue 8 Pro and it drives me NUTS. Given that Dell has the same issue, I really wonder if it's a hardware problem in the 1520 since it is now in at least 2 separate manufacturers (of course, Nokia and Dell may use some of the same parts/screen technology).
    06-14-2014 09:28 AM
    Frustrating...really wanted to try the 1520 until I started to see lots of complaints about the phantom touches. I have the same thing in my Dell Venue 8 Pro and it drives me NUTS. Given that Dell has the same issue, I really wonder if it's a hardware problem in the 1520 since it is now in at least 2 separate manufacturers (of course, Nokia and Dell may use some of the same parts/screen technology).
    I've used four different Dell Venue 8 Pros, each one had the accidental doubletap/zoom issue. Which was especially prevalent in the browser. There is however a "User style sheet" fix to disable the double tap to zoom in IE11, leaving only the pinch to zoom activated. I found that to be a solid fix, and made the tablet much more useable. I'm sorry I don't have a direct link, but if you run some searches based on that info I'm sure you'll find it.

As for avoiding the 1520 over a few of the complaints, I say don't. I've had the 1520 since release day and it's easily been one of the best phones I've ever had. I think if Windows Phone was a little more mature, it would easily make owning a small tablet like the Venue redundant. We're seeing definite steps towards that type of maturity in the system as well, so I'm hopeful for the future.

If you're going to purchase a Lumia 1520 through a carrier on contract, most if not all carriers usually offer a 14 day return period. So that way you can demo the phone before being locked into a contract for the foreseeable future.

If you're going to purchase it retail, I highly recommend picking one up at the Microsoft Store. They offer great service and a solid return policy. So either way you should be able to demo the phone risk free.
    06-14-2014 11:17 AM
    I've had my 1520 for 10 days now and my experience with this issue is its software based. I had zero problems initially but then a dozen updates showed up to download, glance and touch being among them. I only then developed the issue for a couple days. Things settled down after doing a soft reset and waiting a little time. I haven't had the problem since. Even when I did have the problem it was not as bad as my Nexus 7 (2013). The Nexus makes it a nightmare entering passwords and for general typing. I'm totally happy with my purchase and this is coming from a person that has never purchased an unlocked phone, and an Android lover.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    06-15-2014 12:43 AM
    I've had my 1520 for 10 days now and my experience with this issue is its software based. I had zero problems initially but then a dozen updates showed up to download, glance and touch being among them. I only then developed the issue for a couple days. Things settled down after doing a soft reset and waiting a little time. I haven't had the problem since. Even when I did have the problem it was not as bad as my Nexus 7 (2013). The Nexus makes it a nightmare entering passwords and for general typing. I'm totally happy with my purchase and this is coming from a person that has never purchased an unlocked phone, and an Android lover.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I had an Nexus 7 (2013) and it drove me nuts for months and was partly the reason I tried windows. It was getting worse with times and that combined with my note 3 not recognising touches I thought that I would try WP first and keep my Xperia Z1 for backup in case I wasn't able to do something with WP.

That didn't last long after getting my 925 and you can see below that I completely moved to windows.
    TechoGeek likes this.
    06-15-2014 08:15 AM
    This bug is going nuts on my 1520 lately.
    06-15-2014 12:16 PM
    Same with me, have notice unintended taps primarily in specific apps, like Tapatalk and Nextgen Reader. These apps are similar in that they are streams of text items without a visual border between them, and sometimes when I intended to scroll/swipe, instead the app opens the item. Frustrating, but erratic.
    06-15-2014 12:55 PM
    Sorry for my bad English, I have downgraded from 8.1 --> 8.0 by Nokia Software Recovery Tool. I didn't update any system apps e.g. touch or glance. After one day use, I have not found a phantom tap issue, yet.
    06-15-2014 06:32 PM
    This bug is going nuts on my 1520 lately.
    Ditto. Off and on for me...more often than not unfortunately...
    06-15-2014 06:43 PM
    Sorry for my bad English, I have downgraded from 8.1 --> 8.0 by Nokia Software Recovery Tool. I didn't update any system apps e.g. touch or glance. After one day use, I have not found a phantom tap issue, yet.
    Just wait....its only been a day man. Give it a week.
    06-15-2014 06:44 PM
    This issue is really becoming annoying. Before it was tolerable, but now it's annoying. Just when I need to get to something quickly, I am brought somewhere else because of the screen sensitivity. Arrrgghhh! I will try turning off Glance, which I just read above.
    06-17-2014 02:48 PM
    This issue is really becoming annoying. Before it was tolerable, but now it's annoying. Just when I need to get to something quickly, I am brought somewhere else because of the screen sensitivity. Arrrgghhh! I will try turning off Glance, which I just read above.
    Just cause people don't always read the other device forums, this same issue happens on the 1020 and I assume other Nokia devices.

I've actually read about screen sensitivity issues on various Android devices too.
    06-17-2014 02:55 PM
    Just cause people don't always read the other device forums, this same issue happens on the 1020 and I assume other Nokia devices.

I've actually read about screen sensitivity issues on various Android devices too.
    ​Thanks for the info. Thought it was just us 1520 folks :(
    06-17-2014 05:28 PM
    Just wait....its only been a day man. Give it a week.
    Sadly, from what I've been reading this is not one of those issues that gets better with time...unless an OS updates cures this. Alot of ppl were saying that it would slow down, but eventually return. This is unfortunate for such a beautiful piece of hardware, and this bug was the main reason why I haven't bought it thus far...hopefully an update will squash this bug once and for all!

On another note...do you (or anyone else) think that the Microsoft -Nokia acquisition caused a delay in getting rid of this bug? It seems like when the dust/camera/sensor issue happened w/the 920, Nokia acknowledged the issue, and gave various solutions (and awesome customer support) right away. But the Lumia 1520 swipe/tap bug has been lurking for some time and I haven't even heard anyone from Microsoft address it, unless I missed something...
    06-17-2014 07:55 PM
    Sadly, from what I've been reading this is not one of those issues that gets better with time...unless an OS updates cures this. Alot of ppl were saying that it would slow down, but eventually return. This is unfortunate for such a beautiful piece of hardware, and this bug was the main reason why I haven't bought it thus far...hopefully an update will squash this bug once and for all!

On another note...do you (or anyone else) think that the Microsoft -Nokia acquisition caused a delay in getting rid of this bug? It seems like when the dust/camera/sensor issue happened w/the 920, Nokia acknowledged the issue, and gave various solutions (and awesome customer support) right away. But the Lumia 1520 swipe/tap bug has been lurking for some time and I haven't even heard anyone from Microsoft address it, unless I missed something...
    I think Nokia failed to even acknowledge that the problem existed.
    06-18-2014 10:10 AM
156 ... 4567