Day 3 with my new 1520; Case/protector question.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
So it's day 3 on my new 1520 and what phone! I think I've decided to wait on 8.1 to come over the air... hopefully from what I read here that will be next month. I've studied the changes in 8.1 and lots of things there I would like to see. Being a developer with all of the tools to create apps for the 8.1 OS, I've messed around with the changes a lot on the emulator... very Nice! It will be cool to have a piece of hardware in hand with 8.1.

At the moment with waiting on the OS changes, I'm moving my attention to studying what are the best choices for screen protector and case... I tend to like a nice light weight bumper case with a good HD clear protector on the screen (this works really well for me on my Android Large phones- the Note 2 and Note 3).

With that... anyone have an opinion on best choice for a bumper type case and screen protector? I like what Speigan does for the Samsung phones, but I'm not finding a lot of choices for Nokia Lumia 1520.

Thanks ~ScottGeek

oscarbum

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
To comment on your first point: Upgrading now to 8.1 is really simple to do and I can't recommend it more. It's not like rooting your Android devices. This is actually encouraged by Microsoft and they even have instructions to walk you through it. The user experience between 8.0 and 8.1 is like night and day.

I don't use a screen protector, but here's the case I use, which I like a lot.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have been in the market for a case myself. That incipio Oscar link to looks like what I'm after. Very low profile. I have upgraded twice to 8.1. Both times had heat up issues and the camera did not work front or back. Had to go back to 8.0. I have the 938.3 variant, so maybe different firmware. I agree with Oscar it is an awesome upgrade. My phone just doesn't like it.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
AGREE w oscarbum, highly recommend upgrading to WinPhone 8.1 Dev Preview (you can always flash backward w NSU) especially on a relatively clean device. WinPhone 8.1 is just that much better, even w/o the Nokia firmware.

Black Hard Case Cover Belt Clip Face in Out Holster for Nokia Lumia 1520 Phone | eBay

As far as a case, I bought this (above) from ebay, which provides enough protection for a drop (sides are higher than the screen, slightly) allows me to holster (included) my phone, or easily slide it into my (front or back) pocket. Anything that adds grip to the phone is protection, as the device tends to be a bit slippery. Any TPU, rigid case should do - it depends upon personal / esthetic preference. If the edge of the case raises the screen off a surface, that's a definite plus.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
To comment on your first point: Upgrading now to 8.1 is really simple to do and I can't recommend it more. It's not like rooting your Android devices. This is actually encouraged by Microsoft and they even have instructions to walk you through it. The user experience between 8.0 and 8.1 is like night and day.

I don't use a screen protector, but here's the case I use, which I like a lot.

Indeed, I've read this is a simple process... my true concern with going early is running into things that don't work. I've got my "experimental" devices on the Android side.... rooting and rom-ing on that side is not really a big challenge for me :) But when it comes to my every day device, I tend to leave those for OTA updates... I've only got the one Windows phone so I willing to wait a bit. But yes, I'm in agreement with 8.1 as compared to 8.0- I've got 8.1 emulators and even those are a "better" experience than the 8.0 on a real device (the dev emulator is very nice).

Thanks for the input.... I'll check out that case... the naked LARGE phone worries me a bit when I set it down :)

~ScottGeek.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks... I'll definitely check out what everyone is using... I like having the bumpers on the corners and anything that surrounds the camera bump and levels the back out a bit... My Galaxy Note devices have that similar "back bump"... so flatting that out is what works for me.

Not to fear 8.1 is in my future :cool: I'm planning on doing some WinPhone development.... and I really don't want to start with 8.0 or go back to 7.0... I've been holding off this effort for better hardware/tooling/OS and 8.1 is where it is.

~ScottGeek.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077