Hi all!!

I literally just pressed the "Order Now!" button for my Lumia 1520. I'm so excited, been about 7 years in the making - having wanted a Lumia device since the Zune HD and Lumia 800.

Anything I should look forward to at first? Any app suggestions at all? I had a friend suggest ones for Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat etc, so I'm good for those - I'm mainly after others.

Regards, cocotutch!
    05-22-2014 09:25 AM
    Hi and welcome to WPCentral :)
    congratulations for your Lumia 1520 what type of apps do you want to use on your Lumia 1520 phablet ?
    05-22-2014 09:39 AM
    I use a lot of social media -- Facebook, Twitter mainly, with Instagram on the side to an extreme degree. I play games like 2048, Piano Tiles, Flappy Bird and Audiosurf, Minecraft (PC/Mac only though). I would love to find some great Metro apps like PolyScreen, BLACKapp, some awesome Twitter clients, note keeping/to-do apps, SMS apps, banking apps (ANZ GoMoney --- but am prepared to wait if not yet available), some nifty games like those mentioned above and in similar genre, good Camera apps...etc.

An important one for me is a Japanese dictionary. I need to have a neat language app at my disposal, hopefully WP8/8.1 + Lumia 1520 can rid me of a Electronic Flip Dictionary from Tokyo (sigh).

That's about all I can think of at the moment. :)
    05-22-2014 10:30 AM
    Don't mind the size. It will seem big, but after a week you will get used to it and it will seem small actually. But beware, once you get used to 1520, you will never go back to smaller sized phones.
    snowmutt and gleneston like this.
    05-22-2014 11:10 PM
    Congrats for ordering the phone. Is this your first Windows Phone?

What erzhik (previous post) said is totally correct. You will get used to the size very quickly, and in no time will not see it that big any more.

As for apps, don't let others tell you what to install. Customize your Windows Phone experience to your own taste.

I got the Lumia 1520.3 myself last month and I'm very happy with it. It's the phone I've been waiting for during the past 7 years, as it's the first real phone I get since my Nokia N95 :)
    cocotutch likes this.
    05-23-2014 12:29 AM
    Congrats for ordering the phone. Is this your first Windows Phone?

What erzhik (previous post) said is totally correct. You will get used to the size very quickly, and in no time will not see it that big any more.

As for apps, don't let others tell you what to install. Customize your Windows Phone experience to your own taste.

I got the Lumia 1520.3 myself last month and I'm very happy with it. It's the phone I've been waiting for during the past 7 years, as it's the first real phone I get since my Nokia N95 :)
    Technically it isn't my "first" Windows Phone. I ordered a HTC Surround 7 about 4-ish years ago, used it for about 9 seconds then gave it to my Mother because she needed a new phone.

I have wanted a "Lumia" (all versions, really) since around 2009, so having this as my main driver will be too exciting to gripe at.

And yeah the size took me by surprise when I used a test phone at my local Nokia retailer. But it wasn't nearly as bigger shock as when I unboxed my Samsung Galaxy S3 (BIG mistake!) after owning an iPhone 4. The jump won't be too bad....I don't think. But even with the Samsung I have difficulty using a smaller screen (iOS etc..), so this will probably make it harder.

I think the main apps like 6tag, 6snap, Twitter-clients and things that people can recommend, but so far I'm searching these forums looking for suggestions and developer-highlights.

I have no idea what model I've ordered. All I know it's an International one, 32GB w/ 4G LTE and Qi. Yellow <3 The colour I've wanted for a while.

Jumping from Android, my friend said to install the 8.1 DP as soon as I get the device so the "shock" won't be as bad. Can't say I use the Multi-tasking screen in Android all too often though. However, the "Notification Drawer" will be missed. I believe 8.1 restores/adds that?

Needless to say that I am excited. The thread about factory issues worries me a little, but I'm sure the "Good Units" outweigh the "Bad Units" by far. Most of the issues seemed to be nitpicking anyway, aside from screen issues.

I'm glad most people seem happy with this. I was holding off on a Lumia purchase as the screen size was less than my Samsung --- but before I bought the Samsung I wanted a 920 and was convinced out of it by an Android-loving salesclerk --- and then Nokia do this. INSTA-WANT!

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I look forward to contributing more next week when it arrives. I might even take the day off Uni to play with it as it's the last week of classes. Heh!
    05-23-2014 03:59 AM
    Needless to say that I am excited. The thread about factory issues worries me a little, but I'm sure the "Good Units" outweigh the "Bad Units" by far. Most of the issues seemed to be nitpicking anyway, aside from screen issues.

I'm glad most people seem happy with this. I was holding off on a Lumia purchase as the screen size was less than my Samsung --- but before I bought the Samsung I wanted a 920 and was convinced out of it by an Android-loving salesclerk --- and then Nokia do this. INSTA-WANT!

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I look forward to contributing more next week when it arrives. I might even take the day off Uni to play with it as it's the last week of classes. Heh!
    Bad units normally outweigh the good ones on the forums, because if you got a problem and are a pain in the arse, you come to complain, if you are tech savvy, you come to find a solution. But if you have no problems, there is a good chance you will spend your time using your phone, showing it to other and going on with a normal life and never visit this site. The ladder two probably REALLY outweigh the first one by millions. The version you bought is probably RM-937... Only the International version and the Unicorn 1520.3 (RM-938) has Qi charging. AT&T's RM-940 has PMA charging... Hope you enjoy your 1520... I love mine...
    cocotutch likes this.
    05-23-2014 06:26 AM
    Welcome to the 1520 family. I couldn't let this thread go without suggesting WPCentral app.
    oditius, cocotutch and snowmutt like this.
    05-23-2014 01:56 PM
    Oh of course :)

Though I can't install any until I get the device..
    oditius likes this.
    05-23-2014 09:02 PM
    Welcome to the forums!!

As someone who chickened out of the L1520 due to it's screen size, allow me to say: This is a killer device in every way. It SAILS through any commands you give it, loads up even complex web pages faster then a ton of laptops do, has a great graphics chip that makes easy-pickings out of even the most detailed game, and the screen is stinking amazing. This thing is the bomb-digity, and about as future proof as a device in this day and age can get. WP is designed to run well on any device as an OS, so on something as well powered as your L1520 it will handle any future updates with barely a twitch.

I noticed you mentioned note-taking apps above. Before you start downloading those, allow me to brag on a built in capability: The OneNote function of WP is seamless with the OneNote of Windows Office on your computer. If you get your Outlook account setup, you can set up an OneNote system which you can add to from any device and it will sync to your mobile OneNote or Office. I love it, use it more then maybe any other function on my phone.

Also, I think installing the developers preview of WP 8.1 is a great idea, if you are the "tinkering" type. Every WP8 will get an official one, so do not feel pressured into it if you are not normally the "rooting, jail-breaking" type. But if you are excited by it, you will not be disappointed.

Looking forward to what you think of your L1520!! Nothing better then a new WP owner to get the rest of us pumped up!!
    cocotutch and gleneston like this.
    05-24-2014 01:58 AM
    ...I noticed you mentioned note-taking apps above. Before you start downloading those, allow me to brag on a built in capability: The OneNote function of WP is seamless with the OneNote of Windows Office on your computer. If you get your Outlook account setup, you can set up an OneNote system which you can add to from any device and it will sync to your mobile OneNote or Office. I love it, use it more then maybe any other function on my phone. ....
    Thanks for letting me know about that feature! Despite watching surely 6 or 8 review videos none of them had covered that so I had no idea! The only issue there that I can see is that I don't own a PC - I have several Macs. I don't even have Office (despite the copy that is apparently built into the L1520)

I suppose I'll just have to stick with Evernote :)

Thanks again!
    05-24-2014 03:40 AM
    Congrats on getting the best phone ever! Windows Phone is definitely still a work in progress but it's getting better and better.

Definitely install 8.1 as soon as you get it. Action center, swype, and background images just make the experience that much more enjoyable!
    05-24-2014 12:19 PM
    I recently moved from Android to a 1520. Android served my needs just fine and there's a lot of things I do think android does better. Mainly the cloud/services integration, top notch. 8.1 on my 1520 doesn't seem to have the battery life I was expecting, my Moto G got about 50% more battery life with more usage. But that is besides the point. Windows phone 8.1 on a 1520 is the best experience I've encountered on mobile, period. Camera, screen, OS, build quality are all absolutely top notch and I couldn't be happier. Though, I suppose I will be even more ecstatic after the 8.1 official release.

Welcome to the club!
    05-24-2014 12:33 PM