Today the camera stopped working on my Lumia 1520 with WP8.1 dev preview. I opened it up to take a photo and it was staticy, so I backed out and relaunched Nokia Camera and all I got was a black screen. I switched to the stock WP Camera app and it was black as well. There was options on the screen to switch between Video, Still shot, and Burst, however none of them had the option to record or take a picture. Its almost as though it doesn't have access to the camera hardware anymore.

I tried restarting and it didn't fix anything. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nokia Camera and nothing. I finally tried a full phone reset and it still doesn't work. Anyone here heard of this before?

P.S. since doing a reset there are no longer notifications on my Glance screen either, no email icon for unread mail, no alarm indicator, just the clock
    05-23-2014 07:57 AM
    Even in Lumia 820 it stops showing Notification once i updated it to W8.1 Update it started shown up again...If you not yet updated then try to update.....About camera i personally feel it may Hardware problem (Not sure)....
    05-23-2014 08:25 AM
    . I finally tried a full phone reset and it still doesn't work. :
    Are you talking about 'Reset my Phone' ?

If that doesn't work, time to d/l NSU to your PC / laptop to fallback to WinPhone 8.0, cause you don't want to send it in w Dev Preview on it ! Try it, it may restore the camera, alternatively, try an app that uses the camera - Cam Scanner, Nokia Pocket Magnifier, etc to see if it works
    05-23-2014 10:28 AM
    Based on personal experiences as a Developer (another platform), beta OS releases are riddled with bugs. Never expect 100% until "Official" release -- then go wild if it's not working properly. My best bet, despite not having a 1520 yet (arriving soon!) would be to downgrade back to 8.0 and have a good old fashioned wait.

-coco
    05-23-2014 10:28 AM
    Guess I should clarify - The Camera didn't stop working when I installed wp8.1. Ive been using 8.1 for a few weeks already, last night the Camera stopped working. I actually got it to show an image again a while ago, but it was very choppy and started getting corrupted with purple lines and bars running across the entire display.
    05-23-2014 12:28 PM
    ... and I'll clarify - it could be a conflict in WinPhone 8.1, to prove it's software related (or not) you may have to fallback to WinPhone 8.0 w Lumia Black. (hard reset before flashing).

If the camera still isn't working (then it's probably hardware, but you have the appropriate software installed), you'll be all set to take / send it in for repair - depending on how it was obtained.
    05-23-2014 01:43 PM
    I also have this problem. I'm thinking it may be software issue as well. Guess I may as well do a rollback just to confirm. I'm going to miss 8.1.
    06-01-2014 06:49 PM
    Can anyone confirm going back to 8.0 fixed this issue? Mine just started having this issue today (while on vacation).

Also, is reverting back to 8.0 relatively safe? I don't want to damage the phone further....

Thanks
    06-22-2014 12:35 AM
    I got exactly the same problem. Reseting phone (to 8 or 8.1) didn't solve the problem Sent to Nokia for repair.
    06-22-2014 07:07 PM