Melted usb port

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
My USB port on my phone seems to have gotten hot and melted some of the plastic, original charging cord will not work at all, and other cords barely do because the inside of the port on the phone is messed up a little. Has anyone else had theis problem?

Valkyrie-MT

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you could try the Qi charging mod. Then you'll never need to use the usb port and it will be like a nice upgrade :) When life give you lemons...

Sebastianx

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
My USB port on my phone seems to have gotten hot and melted some of the plastic, original charging cord will not work at all, and other cords barely do because the inside of the port on the phone is messed up a little. Has anyone else had theis problem?

If you're phone is still under warranty you can have it replaced. Gven that you've used the original charger and usb.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Your phone is under warranty. Exchange it. Simple. Doesn't even need a thread.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else had theis problem?

I'm not sure how related this is to the original issue, but two days ago my 1520 got really hot in my pocket. No apps were running in the background. I turned it all the way off (held power button and swiped down) and five or so minutes later I needed to use it for something so I turned it back on - I never had the problem again. Also, my phone is a week and six days old in case that might mean anything about how this happened.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
are you running windows 8.1? I had put 8.1 on my 920, after 20 mins the port was boiling hot no charge, almost caught fire to house. turned off proper adapter and unplugged to see melted cable. afterwards when cool down wouldn't charge on wireless qi or cable. after complete discharge wifi charge was ok but the cable on my pc (spare alt) started burning within 5 mins, Nokia did repair for me but this is looking suspicious after this post.

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Would like to have it replaced, but I don't think they will because it has a cracked screen from a previous drop months ago.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The cracked screen has nothing to do with a melted USB port. Melted USB port is a fire hazard and will be replaced if you used an original charger. Again, they will only replace it if you used an original charger, not some cheap Chinese knock off. So, contact Microsoft.

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Thought about this, I'm not sure they want me to have a fire hazard with there name on it though, so we will see what they do

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Update: well they finally called me back after I submitted the claim and told me they were sending me a new one and wanted me to drop mine in the mail tonight. The didn't ask any questions about the cracked screen or repairs, they just wanted to get the phone so they could see what went wrong. Its not even a warranty thing, just a straight up replacement. I asked what happened if they got my phone and rejected it because of prior damage, if I would have to pay for the new one or what and they said not to worry because they don't want a phone like that out in the wild.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Update: well they finally called me back after I submitted the claim and told me they were sending me a new one and wanted me to drop mine in the mail tonight. The didn't ask any questions about the cracked screen or repairs, they just wanted to get the phone so they could see what went wrong. Its not even a warranty thing, just a straight up replacement. I asked what happened if they got my phone and rejected it because of prior damage, if I would have to pay for the new one or what and they said not to worry because they don't want a phone like that out in the wild.
Now that is customer service! Good for you man!

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Its not even a warranty thing, just a straight up replacement. I asked what happened if they got my phone and rejected it because of prior damage, if I would have to pay for the new one or what and they said not to worry because they don't want a phone like that out in the wild.

That's awesome! Nokia's support should be an example that every company follows.

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
The cracked screen has nothing to do with a melted USB port.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the cracked screen.. it could be that the same fall that cracked the screen caused something else to eventually shift inside the phone resulting is a short circuit when the charger is plugged in??

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
It was cracked two months before the meltdown and it was just the digitizer that was cracked. Its not like I threw it off the roof. These huge screens are really easy to crack

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss