Lumia 1520 hot pocket!

Alex Mason86

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
A bit displeased with my 1520 lately for having pretty bad battery life. Today for example its gobbled over 20% in 2 hours just sat in my pocket doing nothing. No programs running, most programs are blocked from running in the background anyway.

However, I suspect this maybe something to do with where I work. You see mobile signal here is at best GPRS (G) and very faint (1 bar if you are lucky). Would it be that the phone is juicing up the atennas to hold on to that semblance of a signal?

As the title alludes to the phone is getting rather hot just in my pocket (which is rather nice on a cold day!) and you can really feel the heat coming from the back of the phone along the top, above the camera. Is the above a likely explanation or is there something more worrying afoot?

Alex Mason86

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, just trying that now. Thankfully there is office WiFi which I can keep on, but I am expecting calls today as well so I dont think I can keep airplane mode on all day.

It seems to have cooled somewhat, but the top right hand corner (looking from the back) is still quite hot to the touch. Something is amiss I think.

Tzarevitch

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
This happens with mine too occasionally. I suspect there is something running in the background that is causing it to heat up and gobbling battery charge. It actually happened occasionally on my Lumia 920 occasionally too. Whenever it happens I just go in and shut down everything running in the background and that seems to take care of it. I just got myself in the habit of checking for and shutting down background processes from time to time.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, just trying that now. Thankfully there is office WiFi which I can keep on, but I am expecting calls today as well so I dont think I can keep airplane mode on all day.

It seems to have cooled somewhat, but the top right hand corner (looking from the back) is still quite hot to the touch. Something is amiss I think.

You can also just turn off the cellular data connection and leave the phone functionality on.

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
My phone does this at times as well, even when I have great signal. It did it Sunday morning, and it normally has great battery life, so I can really tell when something is weird and the phone is hot. I am wondering if something strange isn't going on with an update because I notice a lot of these comments all at the same time. They seem to come in bunches.

Sixto Nuno Ruiz

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem, ever since i upgraded to 8.1 Preview, there's a leak of battery and a lot of heat, specially in the backside by the camara sensor, sometime the camera application pop up without my command. all i can do is turn off and on again my mobile, this seems to work. but im pretty sure it because of the WP 8.1 Preview for Developers

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't have this problem though I did have some battery issues before which are now solved. It's really about the right settings. I now don't get below 50 percent with medium use and 30 with heavy in a day. It's probably losing power due to it constantly searching for the LTE signal in and out.

Alex Mason86

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Bit of an update

It really went for it last night! I went training as usual and had left my phone in my bag on poolside. There is pretty poor reception at the pool. Usually just G level of signal and perhaps 2 bars. When I got out after my session I reached in for my phone and it was scorchio! Really hot to the touch. It had reduced battery from 83% to 51% as well! I then took a short detour home via the super market, probably about another 20 minutes or so before I got home where I found another 10% gone from the battery. It basically continued like this (and I closed all apps) until I had to switch off and stick it on charge.

No idea what caused that, but it seems once it had started plummeting, it simply continued and would've kept going until it ran the battery flat by the looks of things.

Hopefully this is just requiring the Cyan update to fix.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Bit of an update

It really went for it last night! I went training as usual and had left my phone in my bag on poolside. There is pretty poor reception at the pool. Usually just G level of signal and perhaps 2 bars. When I got out after my session I reached in for my phone and it was scorchio! Really hot to the touch. It had reduced battery from 83% to 51% as well! I then took a short detour home via the super market, probably about another 20 minutes or so before I got home where I found another 10% gone from the battery. It basically continued like this (and I closed all apps) until I had to switch off and stick it on charge.

No idea what caused that, but it seems once it had started plummeting, it simply continued and would've kept going until it ran the battery flat by the looks of things.

Hopefully this is just requiring the Cyan update to fix.

Maybe a soft reset can fix it

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A bit displeased with my 1520 lately for having pretty bad battery life. Today for example its gobbled over 20% in 2 hours just sat in my pocket doing nothing. No programs running, most programs are blocked from running in the background anyway.

However, I suspect this maybe something to do with where I work. You see mobile signal here is at best GPRS (G) and very faint (1 bar if you are lucky). Would it be that the phone is juicing up the atennas to hold on to that semblance of a signal?

As the title alludes to the phone is getting rather hot just in my pocket (which is rather nice on a cold day!) and you can really feel the heat coming from the back of the phone along the top, above the camera. Is the above a likely explanation or is there something more worrying afoot?

This issue occurs with every phone and the cause is your cellular signal.

When any phone cannot find a signal, it will constantly attempt to find a signal and use the battery

Steps to mitigate:

Turn on roaming (will incur charges depending on carrier).

Turn off cellular service and use WiFi (if available).

Alex Mason86

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
It is interesting, I have noticed that my battery life is really great after one of these drain days

Actually now that you say this.... yes I am noticing the same. The phone today has used less than 10% from when I took it off charge at 7 am this morning, 6 hours and < 10%. The odd thing is I am in exactly the same place every day so the signal is exactly the same. Poor to non-existent. So why does it heat up like a hot potato some days and not on others?

My iPhone would also drain faster when in weak signal. That is just how it is, but it wouldn't ever be a dire situation of mugging approx 30%/hr (of a 3400 mAh battery as well!) nor would it get so toasty!

So while I agree that the process occurs, the resulting situation with this particular phone (ridiculous heat and battery drainage) is clearly a problem.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
My phone was sitting on the sofa with nothing but Glance screen on. I just happened to pick it up and this thing if it got any hotter could have started melting. It was actually kind of scary. It was in the same place as others have noted, towards the top, with Win 8.1 Dev, too. Battery was running down quick and it locked up at the slide down to power off screen. Phone would not respond at all. I held the power and vol up button and it finally shut down, and now it is just sitting on my counter. I have become afraid of this thing. Those big batteries don't play around and it was so hot I was afraid of it blowing up or something. It has never, ever gotten this hot, but I can't say if it's due to updates, or Glance, since this was my first time leaving it on at the always setting.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It is interesting, I have noticed that my battery life is really great after one of these drain days

Which begs the question, is the Battery draining abnormally ... or is whatever metric reporting it incorrectly ?

I unlocked my phone after some usage, today (was not on a charger) and Battery said 63%, then jumped to 68% - perhaps the metering of charge is waiting for Lumia Cyan update.

Alex Mason86

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Do you have Cortana live tile?

Yes I do have the cortana live tile. For the time being. I don't really use cortana much but I do find it useful on a morning when it gives me a heads up on my commute. That is rather spiffy. But I gather cortana will be paging things like the gps periodically for its location aware services.

Again, the phone is behaving perfectly today (as it did yesterday and wednesday)! But on tuesday it nearly had a melt down. Haven't changed a single setting either!

woutwout

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Had the same issue on 8.1, several times. It's definitely a process running like crazy in the background. Closing all apps in the multi tasking window always solved the problem for me. Give it a try

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
The place were they get hot is were the processer is, so obviously something is happening and that thing is running like crazy. I have had the phone completely apart and can verify that the top corner to the right of the camera is where the snapdragon 800 is

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99