Can the Lumia 1520 be a Kindle substitute?

slavrenz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Currently I have a Surface Pro 2 and a Lumia 1520. I love reading books on my Surface Pro 2, but I don't want to have to worry about sucking down battery. I was at Best Buy last night looking at the Kindle PaperWhite as a potential solution, when I realized that it's about the same size as my Lumia 1520!

Seriously, the Lumia's screen is slightly taller than the Kindle's, and maybe a quarter of an inch narrower. It got me thinking...could the Lumia 1520 be my new "Kindle"? If I was really worried about battery life, I could just turn on airplane mode while I'm reading, and it should get me pretty close. Otherwise, I think they're pretty similar in terms of text rendering and weight (the Kindle show just slightly more text, maybe 2 or 3 lines, as I compared the same book on both devices).

I know this is highly subjective, but what do you guys think? Would you buy the Kindle Paperwhite as a separate e-reader, or do you think the Lumia 1520 can achieve parity (or close to) in the e-reader realm?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I actually have the Kindle Papwerwhite as a separate device and you make a valid point about the similarity in size.

I have used my 1520 as a Kindle reader in the occasions when I've forgotten my PW. To my mind, the PW is the superior device for reading books because of the matte screen - it's just a lot easier on the eye than with the phone. It's also a convenience thing - it I need to check email/texts/internet while I'm reading, I don't need to navigate back to the Kindle app to keep reading.

There is apparently a new PW coming out later in the year with a better screen, but there's nothing wrong with the current model and I'd have no hesitation in recommending it as a companion device to the 1520.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have both and usually use my Paperwhite in more thrashy situation like the beach or patio.
I wouldn't bring my phone to the first for sure.
$99 device versus $650+ ($800 for Canada) so usually more protective.
Battery and readability outside is also an issue.
Get both.

slavrenz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ah. that is an excellent point. I like the idea of having a cheap "sacrificial" e-reader that gets hauled around more casually than my phone.

Meredith43

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Both--I use my 1520 as a tablet and E-reader on the go (airport waiting, doc's office, quick nip of a book on my lunch hour or on the train), but the Paperwhite is unsurpassed for sunlight, throw around, beach, pool, etc. reading. Kindle is much likelier to survive a day at the beach, and it won't give you a headache squinting at it. Paperwhite is also nice at night in bed when you'd just rather not know that your latest 20% off at J. Crew just arrived in your inbox, and your admin assistant just updated her facebook page while you are trying to lose yourself in good book. That said, the 1520 is an excellent reader substitute!

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I recall someone posting a while back in regards of having e-ink like screen on the lumia 1520, I think it was in post your backgrounds thread I think the person bought a privacy screen cover and activated high contrast mode or something? Made it look like an e-ink screen.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The screen is the #1 power draw on the phone. With brightness on highest, while doing reading sessions, it will go through the battery faster than normal. For sure. I still find the 1520's screen hard to see at times, in direct sunlight.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The one thing my 1520 won't replace is my Nook. I enjoy reading on e-ink far too much for that. However, I do enjoy magazines using the Zinio app, but they also have a different reading experience than books do.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Try both. I think your eyes will suffer more on LCD screen. E-ink is as close to paper as screens get, for prolonged reading I'd take an e-reader (and not kindle fire, even if it's advertised as an e-reader).
Another option would also be to get a normal kindle, without light, and to just use the phone or tablet when it's dark, and you can't turn on light. And the normal kindle is pretty much pocket money, and you get even longer battery life because of no light.
Reading on your phone (screen on non stop) will probably empty your battery in hours, e-reader will last you weeks if not months.
Also e-ink screens perform best when lit from above (direct sunlight, reading lamp).

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I'd say no.
But not from a functionality point of view, not even from an e-ink vs LCD glare/readability point of view.

For me, the beauty of the Kindle is it is distraction-free and interaction-free.

No notifications, lure of the internet, game turns, chat time, news feeds, etc etc..
The Kindle lets you do what books were made for - read without distraction but with all the benefits of an electronic environment (searching, highlighting etc.)

Personal point of view of course, but it seems to me that I'm always picking up my phone and fiddling, willing it to do something - almost like a toy or baby soother. Reading with the Amazon app I'm conscous of the ease in which I can be diverted from reading to fiddling around..

I like the Kindle because it gets me away from all that and gets me back to reading, which no one does enough of these days.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The biggest problem is that WP has only crude screen brightness settings (low/medium/high/auto). For extended reading without eyestrain, you need the ability to fine tune the screen brightness.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
with the right brightness and fonts setting and correct background i have found my 1520 a good e reader. havent used a kindle so far so i cant compare..
well i prefer to read books via hard copy ...so 1520 is good enough for me when need arises..

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Currently I have a Surface Pro 2 and a Lumia 1520. I love reading books on my Surface Pro 2, but I don't want to have to worry about sucking down battery. I was at Best Buy last night looking at the Kindle PaperWhite as a potential solution, when I realized that it's about the same size as my Lumia 1520!

Seriously, the Lumia's screen is slightly taller than the Kindle's, and maybe a quarter of an inch narrower. It got me thinking...could the Lumia 1520 be my new "Kindle"? If I was really worried about battery life, I could just turn on airplane mode while I'm reading, and it should get me pretty close. Otherwise, I think they're pretty similar in terms of text rendering and weight (the Kindle show just slightly more text, maybe 2 or 3 lines, as I compared the same book on both devices).

I know this is highly subjective, but what do you guys think? Would you buy the Kindle Paperwhite as a separate e-reader, or do you think the Lumia 1520 can achieve parity (or close to) in the e-reader realm?

I was actually thinking about this my myself when I got my 1520 a few weeks ago. After I used IE's reading mode I think it would be a perfect e-reader/kindle substitute.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site

For me, like others, it comes down to trying to read in the open bright sunlight.... I have both an eInk reader and a Kindle Fire HDX... while I can read on the Fire HDX, I like it better for night reading and the eInk for outdoors. That's my excuse for having two Kindles :wink:

Now, reading in the kindle app on this big phone and/or non-Kindle devices, in a pinch it's not bad like waiting at the doctor's office. I don't have lug my kindles with me, so the app works just fine... but relaxing reading, as I call it, I tend to prefer the actual Kindles to the app. I have the app on all my mobile devices, but the best reading experience for me is on an actual Kindle.... but it could be I'm just a Snob that way :grin:.

~ScottGeek.

RWD

May 27, 2014
Visit site
My wife has a Paperwhite, I have a 1520 and a Lenovo Tablet 2. Looking at the Paperwhite and the 1520 side by side indoors there is very little difference that I can see. I haven't tried outdoors since I hardly read outdoors.

Synchronization between Kindle apps on the 1520 and the Lenovo is an issue though. They don't seem to do it well. I've had to manually search for my spot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro