Should I use the RAW photo setting?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Other than raw image support is there any advantage to using the raw 16 MP DNG setting over the regular 16 MP setting? I rarely PhotoShop the pictures I take so raw wasn't a must have setting to enable when I first got my 1520.

Also, all I know about what a raw image is that it's a file type for photos that allows you to edit a photo more than a JPEG does, but what exactly is a raw image?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
if you do lot of photoshop editing , layers , then you should consider using the raw image since it has more image data/details than jpeg file :smile:

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
if you do lot of photoshop editing , layers , then you should consider using the raw image since it has more image data/details than jpeg file :smile:

Sorry, but this isn't correct. Raw image files don't have anything to do with Photoshop editing or layers. The image detail in each file is more, yes, but probably not like you want to understand it.

Raw files are essentially 'digital negatives'(DNG), or more accurately 'digital exposed but undeveloped film'. People who use Raw files want to take the image processing and compression away from the camera making it into a JPG, and doing the processing manually. Typically done with Adobe Lightroom, not Photoshop.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but this isn't correct. Raw image files don't have anything to do with Photoshop editing or layers. The image detail in each file is more, yes, but probably not like you want to understand it.

Raw files are essentially 'digital negatives'(DNG), or more accurately 'digital exposed but undeveloped film'. People who use Raw files want to take the image processing and compression away from the camera making it into a JPG, and doing the processing manually. Typically done with Adobe Lightroom, not Photoshop.

ah dang , Thanks :smile: :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa