Soon to be New 1520 Owner

Korlon

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I've ordered the Nokia 1520 and I expect the darned thing to finally arrive this week. However as I read through all these threads I'm finding some have flashed new ROM's, or changed OS to the developers preview and it's got me a little confused.

I live in Canada and currently do not have a phone plan, something I will get after I receive my phone. It is the RM 937 variant.
The phone I bought is a b-stock so it was either used for promotional purposes or was returned by a previous owner. I am going to assume the software is aged, not updated.

So my question is this. When I finally get this phone (Been waiting over a week now to my extreme frustration), what would you suggest I do to ensure the phone updates cleanly? Should I wait to upgrade to the developers version OS? I'd like to have Cortana installed and being in Canada I can expect to not have it readily available for years... yes I am sort of cynical of the MS development team.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Trench Mouth

Banned
Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Get the phone, it will be fine, should be indistinguishable from new. I just got a refurbished replacement from AT&T yesterday because of three hyper intense white blotches about where the camera is located behind the screen. Start it up, download preview for developers and accept the terms then let it install. The first install will be small and quick. The second one takes a bit and it says so. There will be a third because there were two updates after the preview was released. No worries.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd upgrade it as soon as you check it out. When the official 8.1 comes out, it will update the firmware for you...

Trench Mouth

Banned
Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Be patient it takes about an hour and a half to do all the updates. Just go straight to the store and download the preview for developers app, follow the steps, then check for updates and it will begin doing ots thing. The phone will look very different from 8.0...keyboard smaller, etc. As it should have been.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
hold your horses ...

How will the OP know if it's a phone problem or WP 8.1 problem ?

Get the phone, use it for a week, check out all the functionality, etc. - After a week, then consider d/l Preview for Developers (after enrolling @ MS App Studio). Follow all the advice proffered on this forum (backup, hard reset, etc).With this timeline, OP should be able to determine if the phone has a problem (as shipped) or Win Phone 8.1 is the problem. OP should expect issues in the first few days after d/l Win Phone 8.1 Dev Preview (we all went thru some issues). :cool::shocked::confused::cool:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Every phone I get, I start off by flashing with the latest firmware for the variant. Then I upgrade to the latest OS using Preview for Developers till the latest update has been applied. Then I factory reset to start fresh. First app I install is SysApp Pusher and download all the missing Nokia System apps. After all of them are installed I perform a soft reset, and then start installing all my apps.. Luckily I haven't had any issues whatsoever till date

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Even more to my point

What MDK22 meant was is that if he downloads 8.1 straight away after getting the phone and there are problems with the phone like battery or heating he would put that down to 8.1 when it could be the fault of the phone. If he used the phone for a week first then he could be sure that the phone is working as it should and then when he puts 8.1 on it he will know that any problem he has is down to just 8.1

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The op is asking for a clean install, he's not worried about problems or where they came from, just wants a clean install.

"So my question is this. When I finally get this phone (Been waiting over a week now to my extreme frustration), what would you suggest I do to ensure the phone updates cleanly? Should I wait to upgrade to the developers version OS? I'd like to have Cortana installed and being in Canada I can expect to not have it readily available for years... yes I am sort of cynical of the MS development team"

Above is a paragraph from the op so not sure what part of that your not reading but to me it is quite clear that he is asking if he should install 8.1

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Op:

Get your phone and see if it is running 8.0 or 8.1

If it has 8.0 do as advised and play with it for a week to get used to it,and to see that everything works properly.

If it has 8.1 already installed on it...I advise to see if you,or the Microsoft store can restore it back to 8.0 before proceeding with it.

Hard or soft resets do not clear up all issues with the 8.1 developers preview on all of these phones,regardless what anyone on this site says...period.

Your buying a "B" grade phone and you need at least a few days on a full release of the latest firmware and that isn't 8.1.

Once you have checked everything on the phone from allowing the battery to settle in,to checking your display for defects,your headphone jack,your power jack &charger,to all the buttons,sensors,camera and everything else,and it checks out ok,then install the developers preview on it if you want.

You will want to do a factory reset on it anyway,regardless of whether it has 8.0 or 8.1 but if it has 8.1 and issues happen,you won't know if it is because of the developers preview or not.

Good luck 🍀

Mac

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
YES ^^^ read the previous post (& it should come w WinPhone 8.0).

There are questions all over this forum, regarding if an issue (my camera is not working, etc) is hardware or software related & with the Dev Preview in play, it's hard to determine. My advice was to shake out the hardware for a week, make sure the phone hardware is OK.

Then, YES, do a clean install - thus any problems that arise will have a benchmark, because the feature worked correctly before. Hate to have the OP load WP 8.1, assume an issue is software related, then after official update, find out the hardware is FUBAR'd. OP would then be officially screwed !

That's it - err on the side of caution. The OP was being proactive, that is / was my advice to OP ... which path OP takes, that's their decision. All the advice (for the most part) is valid, even Mr PHD's, determine your comfort level (& warranty protection).

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
... If he has hardware that will be evident with 8.0 or 8.1. ...
In the end, don't wait, update it. If it sucks, return it. Quit trying to get him to play engineer.

The cause (hardware / software) of the issue may NOT be obvious, especially if the OP is unfamiliar with the device. Read the forum, there are issues everywhere that are non-deterministic. Better OP knows the hardware works, before installing the NU software ...

I would expect a tad more insight from someone with a PHD ! :cool::shocked::cool:

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The cause (hardware / software) of the issue may NOT be obvious, especially if the OP is unfamiliar with the device. Read the forum, there are issues everywhere that are non-deterministic. Better OP knows the hardware works, before installing the NU software ...

I would expect a tad more insight from someone with a PHD ! :cool::shocked::cool:

I wouldn't..I work with lots of PHD's..most don't have the common sense of a goat,they are for the most part highly intelligent people for sure...but most are seriously lacking in common sense.....and this isn't 🚀 science..

Mac

Trench Mouth

Banned
Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't..I work with lots of PHD's..most don't have the common sense of a goat,they are for the most part highly intelligent people for sure...but most are seriously lacking in common sense.....and this isn't 🚀 science..

Mac

I work with lots of people who love WP, but..most don't have the common sense of a goat,they are for the most part highly intelligent people for sure...but most are seriously lacking in common sense.....and this isn't 🚀 science

Korlon

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate the.. ahem.. spirited debate :)
My phone was FINALLY picked up by FedEx today and with a little luck I should have it by tomorrow at lunch. It's been a long 2 week wait for this phone and I can't wait to put all your suggestions to use.

Kor

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
For now, I would NOT suggest to install the 8.1 Developer Preview, since the final update will roll out next weeks. Of course you might install the 8.1 DP and get the new features, but there is a probability to get some bugs as well, so better keep waiting patiently few more weeks ;)
I do have a 1520 as well, and use the 8.1 DP since it became available.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Per a leaked roadmap referenced - he should expect the commercial release of WinPhone 8.1 / Lumia Cyan in approx. 6 weeks. While I'd wait a week to insure hardware's functioning correctly, the wait for the official version might seem interminable.

If you're the patient type (not me), wait for the official version, but understand it'll probably take 1 to 2 months (or longer, depending on your model) before you see it. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb