Been getting crazy battery life since installing 8.1

metastable

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 was having severe battery drain issues after upgrading to Windows Phone 8.1. I did the following to fix the issue:
1. Did a Soft Reset (Hold Power and Down Volume buttons until the AT&T icon appears)
2. Disabled Battery Saver
3. Removed Cortana Live Tile from the home screen

I've used my phone for 14 Hours today and the battery is at 70%!

Using Here Drive + severely drains the battery even today. I hope they can fix Here Drive+ soon.

RoarinRow

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
My phone pretty much last the entire day under heave usage, i.e. phone, IE, FB, Instagram, camera, etc. My only concern is that it takes hours and hours to charge. When I woke up at 6:30am it was at 10%. When I got to work I plug it in and only plugged it out to go to lunch for about an hour. It's now past 2pm and it's only 63% charged. I normally don't let it go down to 10%, but yesterday I used the phone a lot to make calls. Anyone else notice it takes a long time to fully charge their 1520's?

I've just uninstalled unused apps, removed Cortana from the home screen, reset the phone, and disable other apps from running in the background. Hopefully this will make a difference.

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 was having severe battery drain issues after upgrading to Windows Phone 8.1. I did the following to fix the issue:
1. Did a Soft Reset (Hold Power and Down Volume buttons until the AT&T icon appears)
2. Disabled Battery Saver
3. Removed Cortana Live Tile from the home screen

I've used my phone for 14 Hours today and the battery is at 70%!

Using Here Drive + severely drains the battery even today. I hope they can fix Here Drive+ soon.

I have done this. I did not see any improvement of battery life. I am hopeless now. I feel like going back to android. I know I will miss the camera. :9

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My phone pretty much last the entire day under heave usage, i.e. phone, IE, FB, Instagram, camera, etc. My only concern is that it takes hours and hours to charge. When I woke up at 6:30am it was at 10%. When I got to work I plug it in and only plugged it out to go to lunch for about an hour. It's now past 2pm and it's only 63% charged. I normally don't let it go down to 10%, but yesterday I used the phone a lot to make calls. Anyone else notice it takes a long time to fully charge their 1520's?

I've just uninstalled unused apps, removed Cortana from the home screen, reset the phone, and disable other apps from running in the background. Hopefully this will make a difference.

What charger are you using because that is not right. My phone takes about 2 hours to charge.

RoarinRow

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I have done this. I did not see any improvement of battery life. I am hopeless now. I feel like going back to android. I know I will miss the camera. :9

I am using the charger cord that came in the box. At home I use a similar charger, but no the one that came with my phone.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I am using the charger cord that came in the box. At home I use a similar charger, but no the one that came with my phone.

Why don't you use the charger that came with the phone? The charger is the problem with your long charge times, you can also feck up your phones battery using cr@p chargers.

RoarinRow

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you use the charger that came with the phone? The charger is the problem with your long charge times, you can also feck up your phones battery using cr@p chargers.

Yup that's what I meant to say. I am using the charger that came with the phone (at least when I am at work). Hoping the other fixes recommended above will improve my battery life/lessen charging time.

RoarinRow

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm finally at 100% after being plugged in most of the days except for lunch and breaks. We'll see how it is tomorrow when wake up. Could be a fluke with may one of my new apps.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I noticed significant battery drainage on my Lumia 1520. I am currently looking at my screen with 90% battery life remaining. Estimated time remaining: 11 hours. I have Battery saver off at all time. I turned off wifi. I have Bluetooth on. I am a heavy user. I constantly play games (Throne wars and Cloud Raiders). I wake up at 7.30 with phone charged overnight (12-7.30) and I have to charge it in the office since I will be using it heavily throughout the day. Is there anything I do wrong? Why all people here could charge their phone once every two days? I am with WP 8.1, AT&T, microSD sandisk class 10. Could it be the microSD causing this? Please help.
View attachment 69387
View attachment 69388

Everyone uses their device differently, my 920 could be pushed to a day and a half with light usage, 1/2-3/4th day with heavy usage, typically a day with normal usage.
microSD should not factor into the battery usage at all. Its probably you gaming a lot more than some people here.

dubr

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
My 1520s dropping 20% in idle overnight. WHAT GIVES?

Pulling my hair out here.

Cortana unpinned

Battery saver Off

Even took Cortana out by setting region back to my native region Australia.

Did a complete drain and full charge last night.

And then there are some people here that average 3 days without charging. what the?!

Last edited:

Jam8240

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
My 1520s dropping 20% in idle overnight. WHAT GIVES?

Pulling my hair out here.

Cortana unpinned

Battery saver Off

Even took Cortana out by setting region back to my native region Australia.

Did a complete drain and full charge last night.

And then there are some people here that average 3 days without charging. what the?!

20% drain in what, about 8-10 hours? That is only about 2-3% per hour. That's actually pretty good. Plus, why not charge it overnight

dubr

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
20% drain in what, about 8-10 hours? That is only about 2-3% per hour. That's actually pretty good. Plus, why not charge it overnight

Thanks for the response

I dont keep it charged over night cause i read keeping batteries charged overnight reduces battery life.

Yes correct. 20% over 8hours.
Straight after I got the 2nd update for 8.1. The battery life increased dramatically. I would only lose 5% overnight.
It's gone down hill since that period.

Jam8240

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response

I dont keep it charged over night cause i read keeping batteries charged overnight reduces battery life.

Yes correct. 20% over 8hours.
Straight after I got the 2nd update for 8.1. The battery life increased dramatically. I would only lose 5% overnight.
It's gone down hill since that period.

Well, if you keep it off the charger at night, and are concerned about battery life, you could set it to battery saver mode while you sleep, or completely shut it off. That's crazy that you had only 5% drain. You could also look at which apps are allowed to ruin in the background, and maybe disable the ones that use the most battery.

dubr

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Well, if you keep it off the charger at night, and are concerned about battery life, you could set it to battery saver mode while you sleep, or completely shut it off. That's crazy that you had only 5% drain. You could also look at which apps are allowed to ruin in the background, and maybe disable the ones that use the most battery.

I've forbidden all apps bar 1 from running in the back ground.

That app is a day counter. Counts downs days to an event.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

2-3% drain per hour on a 1520 is not good. I get a constant loss of 0.3% per hour over night and that is with

Location on,
WiFi on,
Bluetooth on,
Glance set to peak,
27 apps allowed in background,
10 or more live tiles.
Everything is being backed up

I have turned of WiFi sense and battery sense turned off.

My battery has improved a bit over the last week or so. I was getting between 10 and 13 hours of screen on time over 3-4 days but that seems to have increased by around 15%

I was getting standby battery loss of about 0.2-0.3% per hour on 3g but I'm now getting 0.3% loss per hour on 4g but that could be down to a better signal with EE

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140625_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140625_0001.png
    135 KB · Views: 30

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Yup that's what I meant to say. I am using the charger that came with the phone (at least when I am at work). Hoping the other fixes recommended above will improve my battery life/lessen charging time.

So you are using the wall charger or just the wire of the wall charger plugged into something else?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo