I have Lumia 920 and thinking of 1520

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I basically have the Lumia 920 since November 2012. The more I read about the 1520 the more I like. I like to hear from Lumia 920 users who purchased the 1520. User experience on 1520 etc. I plan to do outright purchase of the phone just as I did with the 920. Please tell me what you like about the phone or better what you don't like about the phone as compared to the 920.
Also, I take flash player is still no go on 1520 right?
It seem like one Lumia outdoes the next Lumia since the 920 been out with some variations that sometimes don't make sense but regardless the seem to get better overall. My last question is now a good time to get the 1520?? I'm looking to get the 1520.3 version and with the price the way it is something just tells me to wait a little nit before getting it maybe the price will drop under $500. Looking forward to responses and suggestions. Thanks.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

elyodeel

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 1520 after owning a 920. Battery life was my only problem with the 920, and the 1520 solved it for me completely. What I don't like about the 1520 is that after owning the 920, I have not worried about my phone being fragile, but now with a large phone like this I'm worried that one drop will destroy it (I don't use a case because that would make it even more ridiculously large). I do not regret the switch at all, I love being able to use a memory card and once again, not having to worry about charging the phone after half way through my work day is reason enough to switch.

Also, after using the phone for a few weeks, it doesn't even seem that large to me. When I pick up the 920 it feels really small. You will have a hard time using the 1520 with one hand, I can manage it but I have large hands and reaching the capacitive keys is sometimes a problem, you have to adjust your grip.

Sunlight readability is amazing, it was good in the 920, but the 1520 makes you forget that you're even outside. Also, the 1520 is very thin compared to the 920. I do not really notice a weight difference between the two.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Got a 1520 after a 920. Love it so far. Miss using my phone with one hand a little, but it is still awesome. Also Flash Player is not coming, ever. The age of flash is over.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
My 920 fried last Thursday and I then bought the 1520 As an attorney I needed email and phone and calendar back up same day so waiting for a new phone for a say or three wasn't an option. I've been very happy with the 1520. Battery drain hiccups but figured out the possibilities and got resolved over the weekend. If the LG uni8 comes out in the US on ATT I'll take a look at it and look at the McLaren when it comes out. I'm always looking at/out for new devices.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I had the 920 for a little over a year and just got a 1520 a couple weeks ago. The biggest issue to overcome for me was the size. But now that I am used to it, the 920 seems tiny now. I do use a case on my 1520 and it does add a bit to the size but I like the extra protection. The only thing that almost kept me from getting the 1520 was the 16GB memory but being able to add an SD card negated that concern.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Did the switch two weeks ago and don't regret it. Better performance, better battery life and that microsd slot is a saviour. The only thing I find to be a downgrade is the camera in low light.
As for waiting, the 1520 will cost you less than whatever new phone is released because it's a few months old now but the hardware is pretty much future proof so basically you pay less for pretty much same specs.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 1020 to a 1520, same size as 920, except for camera hump. I moved from 1020 because, IMHO, fitting a 2000MAh battery to a phone which powers a computerized floating bearing Image Stabalizer and a xenon flash is one of the silliest design decisions ive ever seen.

However, like everyone here I had an initial issue with the size, but now after 2 weeks.. i love my 1520, plus with me being a light to moderate user. I get 3-4 days out of the battery.. Awesome.

Be aware though.. the 1520 uses a NANO Sim.. Not a Micro Sim.. again another silly design decision on Nokias part on a 6 " device, but its easily fixed.. Just make sure you get your sim cut down or order a NANO from your Mobile Prov.

Once youve got your 1520 though.. youll love it.

peterharvey

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
My 920 had poor battery life.
I went from 920 to 1520.

Initially size was a problem, but got used to it quickly.
Quickly learnt not to try to one hand everything; where needed, use second hand.
Now, old 920 feels tiny, and data looks tiny!

Yellow polycarbonate body stands out from black screen, and matches yellow tiles.
Has SD slot.
Superb battery life!
Superb screen color.
Superb typing; far less typing errors.
Superb 6" viewing.
Superb speed and memory.

Dying for Windows Phone 8.1 Update. Coming within June I hope???
Ms Word could do with a smaller font size to fit more text in etc..

Downsides?
Pointy square corners! Should be more rounded corners like budget low resolution 1320.
Built-in wireless charging plate does make 1520 thicker and heavier than its peers!!!
Camera still no match for say a Sony RX100 compact, but then 1520 doesn't have to be that good.

Couldn't be bothered waiting for smaller 5" one-handed July Lumia 930.
930 doesn't have SD slot, nor battery capacity, nor 6" screen, and plastic back looks cheap, but 930 does have more rounded corners.

1520 a superb package.
No regrets changing over to 1520 6", nor any regrets not waiting for 930 5".
Can live with pointy corners and thicker heavier body...

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 925 to the 1520 and I found the phone to be huge but only for a few days and now I think my 925 although gorgeous to look at it is very small to use. I used to get between 2 and 3 days from one charge on my 925 and I now get between 3 and 5 days out of my 1520 but I find myself using the 1520 a lot more. To give you an idea I now get twice as long from a charge on my Surface 2 as I did when I was using my 925 all the time.

I still use my 925 at weekends when I'm going out and need something smaller to fit in my pocket better.

BTW I get more screen on time with my 1520 than I do with my Surface 2, with the phone I get somewhere between 10 and 14 hours.

jive_inc

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I made the switch to the 1520 from the 920 too. I loved (and still do) the 920 and like everyone has said it takes a bit of getting used to the size of the 1520. I do like that I am using my 1520 as my overall driver for news, reading etc. vs my nexus 7, iPad 2 and surface 1. Do not get me wrong I use them all at times and have no issues with them. The 920 (for me) was easier to take night/dark pictures. Overall the 1520 size will "shock" your friends/family but in the end it will only be them who will be "shocked". You will be the one to enjoy it! Have fun!!

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I got my Lumia 920 in December 2012 and decided it was time for an upgrade so I got the 1520 (April 2014). The 1520 was HUGE out the box and I was actually taken aback by it. After using it for a few days however, you will just get used to the size. In fact, the 920 (which I gave to my dad to use) feels very small. And I know others have said the same thing...but really, once you get to playing around with the 1520, the 920 truly feels puny.

I think, for me at least, one of the defining differences between the 920 and the 1520 (aside from the size obviously) is the ability to have and use a micro-SD card. The 920 had 32GB, and while that was sufficient for me, I limited what I wanted to store on the phone. With the 1520, since I put in a 64GB card in for use, I started storing all my music and also a ton of my pictures and I still have a ton of room to spare.

The 1520 I got is the 1520.3 "Unicorn" version which has the wireless charge capability...so I didn't lose out on the ability to charge wirelessly. My 1520 does not have dust collection over my front facing camera which my 920 had and the vibration on my capacitive bottom three buttons work on my 1520 (my 920 started losing the vibration). Other than that, not sure what else there is in terms of differentiating factors. I do find myself playing and using my 1520 more than I ever did with my 920 and that probably does have to do with the size of the thing. It does truly make the regular stuff you do on the phone like surfing the web/fb/instagram/texting more fun. I know the camera is "better" on the 1520 (20 mp vs 8.7 mp) but since I'm not a photographer, to me, it was a wash.

Hope this helps your decision!

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I watched this video to see side by side operations and to tell you the truth sure the 1520 has big screen bigger battery and couple other things but I was expecting a lot more WOW. From the responses to this thread and the video I'm not over the edge to want to purchase the 1520.3 with the $600+ price tag at the present time. Despite a lot of people complaining about the 920 battery life mine been adequate usually a day to day and a half. For mine it seems to make a difference whether I charge with the wall adapter or the wireless charger. The wireless charging seems to be better for my battery and I not sure why it just is. Also, I got screen brightness to 1/3 no auto mode, no background processes, Bluetooth off, WiFi is always on but not set on discovery, location is on so is GPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35cimaDepFY

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
get it...u wont regret..as much complete package u can get hardware wise...the screen,battery,camera,sd card slot...and presence of glance which is not there in 930/icon..
the camera aperture could have been f/2.0 or2.2 instead of 2.4 whcih would have made lowlight pics even better..but hey thats just a niggle...

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to have to see 1520 again myself but I knew something was bothering me about how windows phone 8 presents itself on a 6 inch screen.
And I know I'm not the only one that noticed it as I found this page 2 of this review http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/11/the-lumia-1520-enormous-hardware-troublesome-software/2/
I think there some valid concerns and I'm probably going to hold off at the present time.
Tomorrow I going to try to observe 1520 and my 920 with different screen displays and menus. I didn't think of this kind of comparison before but I knew something was bothering me about screen setup when I briefly looked at the 1520 before.

shykhan16

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I basically have the Lumia 920 since November 2012. The more I read about the 1520 the more I like. I like to hear from Lumia 920 users who purchased the 1520. User experience on 1520 etc. I plan to do outright purchase of the phone just as I did with the 920. Please tell me what you like about the phone or better what you don't like about the phone as compared to the 920.
Also, I take flash player is still no go on 1520 right?
It seem like one Lumia outdoes the next Lumia since the 920 been out with some variations that sometimes don't make sense but regardless the seem to get better overall. My last question is now a good time to get the 1520?? I'm looking to get the 1520.3 version and with the price the way it is something just tells me to wait a little nit before getting it maybe the price will drop under $500. Looking forward to responses and suggestions. Thanks.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

I've had the 925 for a while now and I really want the 1520.3, but you should just wait. I assume your on tmobile because you want the .3 version. The Mclaren is going to have 3D features and is going to be faster than the 1520

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had the 925 for a while now and I really want the 1520.3, but you should just wait. I assume your on tmobile because you want the .3 version. The Mclaren is going to have 3D features and is going to be faster than the 1520

McLaren sounds interesting while google searching although information about it is very little. I hope among many things they make it pentaband like the 1520.3 is so that it can be diverse in the USA and stop this exclusivity nonsense. Now that the rabbit is out of the hat and Amazon is also introducing an android smartphone within a week with a similar feature I hope Samsung doesn't jump the gun ahead of Nokia too. Nokia and Microsoft got to start marketing Windows Phones more and doing everything possible to get windows phone products into everyone hands to try them out by all possible retailers in this country.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte