06-23-2014 06:44 PM
78 1234
tools
    I think other than stating the size/dimensions of a phone, size shouldn't be called a pro or con. I think reviews are mainly meant to give information to people who might be interested in buying the device being reviewed. Stating that a phone's size is too big is a matter of opinion that should be decided by the reader - although I'm not saying just because the review says it's too big the reader will think it's too big.

When I held my 1520 for the first time in the at&t store I was overwhelmed by how big it felt and thought it seemed way smaller from pictures on the interwebs - but after probably less than 10 minutes of using it I got used to the size and think it's perfect for me. Now when I compare using it to my first phone, the 900, the 900 feels hilariously small. But another person who's used any iPhone for a relatively long time might not feel the same way.
    06-17-2014 07:45 PM
    Would you also call the size of tablets a con?
    What does that have to do with anything? Tablets have a specific usage and smartphones have another one. We're talking about a specific smartphone.
    06-17-2014 07:54 PM
    What does that have to do with anything? Tablets have a specific usage and smartphones have another one. We're talking about a specific smartphone.
    Yeah that is the point. Tablet are for a specified usage. And that gives the size.
    Phablets are also for a specified usage and they are given a standard size of 5.2"-6.9"
    Phablets are for people who want something bigger than the average smart phone but not too much of a load like a tablet.
    For example, I like reading books and editing word documents on the go. The average smartphone wont do, and I dont want the bulkiness of a tablet. So pick a phablet.

If the Lumia1520 was any smaller, I would be considering the note 3 instead. And there are a lot of people who picked the L1520 for its size.

6" is within the standard given size of a phablet. So it cant be considered a con.
    If you say you dont like phablets, i would understand and wouldnt argue with you.

But for a phablet, 6" is a standard(or "within a standard" to be more specific).
    06-17-2014 08:03 PM
    Tablets have a specific usage and smartphones have another one.
    I barely ever use my 1520 as a phone - I hardly ever call people and I occasionally send text messages, but there's services similar to texting that can be done on any tablet so I guess that doesn't really count. My 1520 is, whether I like it or not, becoming a replacement for my Surface Pro except in terms of PhotoShop, Office, and AutoDesk Inventor. I even saw an article (http://winsupersite.com/windows-phon...replace-tablet) a while ago about how smartphones are starting to replace tablets and tablets replacing laptops. (that linked article's actually not the one but pretty similar)
    06-17-2014 08:14 PM
    Yeah that is the point. Tablet are for a specified usage. And that gives the size.
    Phablets are also for a specified usage and they are given a standard size of 5.2"-6.9"
    Phablets are for people who want something bigger than the average smart phone but not too much of a load like a tablet.
    For example, I like reading books and editing word documents on the go. The average smartphone wont do, and I dont want the bulkiness of a tablet. So pick a phablet.

If the Lumia1520 was any smaller, I would be considering the note 3 instead. And there are a lot of people who picked the L1520 for its size.

6" is within the standard given size of a phablet. So it cant be considered a con.
    If you say you dont like phablets, i would understand and wouldnt argue with you.

But for a phablet, 6" is a standard(or "within a standard" to be more specific).
    Phablets don't have a specific usage. What you can do in a phablet, you can do in a smaller phone. Yes, there are different types of people and some will find using a smaller screen cumbersome. Others don't have problems with smaller screens, they have problems with poorly adapted content (apps and websites, mainly) which is why the need for bigger screens arose. But there's not a single thing you can do in a phablet that you can't in a smaller phone. And if it's not unique, than it's not specific. Hence me saying that "phablet" is a plain moniker for bigger phones.

That being said, the 1520, the Note and the likes, what have you, are, all in all, plain smartphones with nothing more than bigger screens. So, for me who doesn't like screens above 4,3'' on a smartphone (even though I enjoy high-specs), anything bigger than that is a con.
    06-17-2014 08:23 PM
    But there's not a single thing you can do in a phablet that you can't in a smaller phone.
    What can you do on a tablet and cant do on a phablet or smaller phones.

"phablet" is a plain moniker for bigger phones.
    You have admitted that tablets are meant to be bigger phones. Hence the size 6".
    Not a con, just another standard.

Do you also consider the size of L920(and other windows devices) to be a con? As they are too small for some users.
    06-17-2014 08:37 PM
    What can you do on a tablet and cant do on a phablet or smaller phones.
    Real multitasking for one. Not the gimmicky stuff found on phones.

You have admitted that tablets are meant to be bigger phones. Hence the size 6".
    Not a con, just another standard.
    Read properly. Nowhere did I say that.

Do you also consider the size of L920(and other windows devices) to be a con? As they are too small for some users.
    Yes. But I don't like anything larger than 4.3''. Still, even if the 920 had and acceptable screen size for me, it's way too bulky.
    06-17-2014 08:51 PM
    No one makes anybody buy a 1520. If it is too big for you, don't get one.
    ScottGeek and sd173 like this.
    06-17-2014 10:21 PM
    Indeed yes....

The "norm".... now we're touching at the heart of the problem... Whose "norm"? Does one define this by the shear numbers of who owns a certain type of device? If that's the case, then in the US I gather the "norm" is iPhone?

My my how small the Universe just got.... (yeap, every pun intended )

Everywhere else on the planet, iPhone not the "norm".... I suspect this might be why the rumored 6S is.... yeap, larger?

Maybe the better word for this is what's "common".... Hey, that makes the 1520 un-"common" and special? -Sorry I couldn't resist...

Well, I tend not to call out the fanboy or say someone is being disrespectful unless they specifically point their words at someone. But calling into question what "reviewers" put on the "con" list.... and of course this whole idea that what is "norm" to you... must be by definition the "norm" for me? Well, you get the point...

Yeap, I have the 1520 and a Note II and Note III, so it's obvious where I land on the question of size.... believe it or not... something like a Note 8... that can come in a phone version that's 8"... is too big My Note 8 comes out when I want a small tablet to read with not to place a phone call or have a mobile computing device.

It's good to have a difference of opinion....this creates choice.

Cheers,
    ~ScottGeek.
    You don't get the point that there always needs to be a norm to judge a product. There needs to be a reference. You could make this argument with everything. Everything is a trade off. Bad build quality to keep the cost down, small battery to keep the profile thin, no front facing camera for a budget phone. An interface not to a reviewers taste could be just that, bad taste.

No front facing camera wouldn't be a con for me, I never use it on my WP. It's still listed as a con in all the reviews. Should I say that's stupidity too?

And then there is the fact that a review never can be entirely objective. It's just impossible.

I didn't get the first part of your post at all. You contradict yourself and you are random. The iPhone 5S was criticized for being very small, the 1520 was criticized for being very big. Both come with disadvantages due to their size and as they are not in the current norm, this gets mentioned.

Your second part is also hard to understand. And it has nothing to do with what I said. Choice is good, disagreeing with reviewers is also good, buying the product you like again is good. Calling every reviewer on the internet stupid because you disagree is not good.

That's one for every situation in life: if you think everybody else is wrong with no exception, it might be at the time to reevaluate your point of view.
    06-18-2014 01:16 AM
    The only reason why I'm even considering it over the Icon or 930 isn't because I like the size, but because everything else about it is so good. From the quality of the screen to the great camera to the large battery to the microSD slot, you're getting a lot for surprisingly little money (sub $500 for an phone this good is a steal). The Icon is a better size and is more practical (I really don't need a phablet) but it's a feature packed device and that's what I think makes it worth considering, not whether or not you want /need a big screen (although that is something that should be considered, just not the primary concern).
    06-18-2014 02:43 AM
    Anyone who thought my phone was too big before isn't thinking so now when I am streaming the World Cup from my Slingbox...lol
    Chregu, sd173 and Will6371 like this.
    06-18-2014 10:21 AM
    Call it a "con" or just call it a preference. Whatever the "perceived" awkwardness, the phone is well worth it. I was astounded when my daughter chose the Lumia 1520 in yellow. It was soooo big and she is quite small. (I thought it rather comical.) Fast forward six months and I AM NOW the owner of a white 1520. The brilliant huge screen, the call quality, speakerphone, excellent camera--just point and shoot, quickness, and easy operation of this phone won me over. Who would have thought? If the phone were to add any awkwardness at all to your life, the pleasure in using this device would well outweigh any inconvenience. Critics' perceived "con" has quickly become a "preference" for me. As my daughter warned, "When you pick up other phones, they will seem like toys."
    sd173 likes this.
    06-18-2014 03:02 PM
    You don't get the point that there always needs to be a norm to judge a product. There needs to be a reference. You could make this argument with everything. Everything is a trade off. Bad build quality to keep the cost down, small battery to keep the profile thin, no front facing camera for a budget phone. An interface not to a reviewers taste could be just that, bad taste.

No front facing camera wouldn't be a con for me, I never use it on my WP. It's still listed as a con in all the reviews. Should I say that's stupidity too?

And then there is the fact that a review never can be entirely objective. It's just impossible.

I didn't get the first part of your post at all. You contradict yourself and you are random. The iPhone 5S was criticized for being very small, the 1520 was criticized for being very big. Both come with disadvantages due to their size and as they are not in the current norm, this gets mentioned.

Your second part is also hard to understand. And it has nothing to do with what I said. Choice is good, disagreeing with reviewers is also good, buying the product you like again is good. Calling every reviewer on the internet stupid because you disagree is not good.

That's one for every situation in life: if you think everybody else is wrong with no exception, it might be at the time to reevaluate your point of view.
    Nope, I did not call
    ...every reviewer on the internet stupid...
    Nope, nowhere did I say that....

And just because I don't agree with your "norm" statement... does not mean that I don't get what you are saying.... Nope.

Where did I indicate that I
    ....think everybody else is wrong with no exception...
    ?

I've neither been random nor have I contradicted anything comments I made on this thread... Nope.

My Opinion throughout is that size is should not be a bases for adding an item to the "CON" side in a review.

Nope, I don't agree with that statement either.... but I do understand what you are saying and why you say it.

So, getting past the trolling of my comments (Oh moderator?)

It is always hoped that Norms or Standards should try to address the basic questions of how does the Device function?

Some Basic functions of a phone device maybe things like:

The Camera: does it take good pictures? does it have useful features?
    The Phone: for carrier X what is the call quality? what calling features add to the experience?
    The Battery: it's a given that longer battery life is better
    Applications: are those social apps that everyone uses, functional? what's the user experience like?

Subjective reviewers can and do talk about these "norms".... and indeed can still Subjectively call out what is different about a device under review...

i.e. "For those that like and enjoy smaller devices... the Lumia 1520 may not be the phone for you..." - see, there's no need to put it on the "CON" list or in comparison be-little the iPhone for being smaller... size tells me nothing about how the device functions.

Yeap, that's the point I've been making I believe....

~ScottGeek.
    06-18-2014 05:53 PM
    Phablets do have norms...they always have larger screen size.

This"con" is the inability to accept that fact.

Everything about them is personal preferences including if it is outside the wants and needs of the individual.
    The op is correct in his sentiment of the usage of the word by most people who review phones. Personal bias on their part,doesn't accurately reflect how others feel about it.

These so called"norms" are nothing but people have been given in the past..If all phones had been issued at 6" before..then almost all new phones coming out were 4"...then things would be reversed in the subject
    sd173 and ScottGeek like this.
    06-18-2014 06:09 PM
    So, getting past the trolling of my comments (Oh moderator?)
    You have reached the point I just can't take you seriously anymore.

Everything about them is personal preferences including if it is outside the wants and needs of the individual.
    The op is correct in his sentiment of the usage of the word by most people who review phones. Personal bias on their part,doesn't accurately reflect how others feel about it.

These so called"norms" are nothing but people have been given in the past..If all phones had been issued at 6" before..then almost all new phones coming out were 4"...then things would be reversed in the subject
    Let me quote Wikipedia:

A phablet (/ˈfblɪt/), a portmanteau of the words phone and tablet, is a class of mobile device designed to combine or straddle the functions of a smartphone and tablet. Phablets typically have screens that measure (diagonally) between 5.01 and 6.9 inches (130 to 180 mm), which complement screen-intensive activity such as mobile web browsing and multimedia viewing. Phablets may also include software optimized for an integral self-storing stylus to facilitate sketching, note-taking and annotation.
    The Lumia 1520 lacks the entire second part of this definition. It has a phablet sized screen, but basically it's just a blown up phone.

But discussing that goes too far. It's not about that. The basic question is: Is it stupid to say the size of the 1520 can be a disadvantage?

We can talk all day about norms and sizes, but the best thing is if we read again what these reviewers wrote. I made an entire post about it. And all of them put this "con" in a relative context. They write it may be too big for some users, they write that it can be uncomfortable to use because of the size. Those are just facts, and they are on the con list because, well, they are disadvantages.

No argument provided here has changed my opinion. No, it's not stupid. It's something that has to be considered when buying this phone. When reading a review it's something people want to know. The phone's size on a picture is not the same as holding it, so they have to comment on it. You still can go to a store and judge for yourself, but it needs to be in a review. It would be stupid to leave it out.
    06-19-2014 02:27 AM
    I've got big hands even for being 6'6". Between that and some injuries this was the first smartphone I could use. I tried other phablets, and this phone fits my hand perfectly. I never want a different phone. Just wanted to put that out there. For reference when I'm 1 handing my Galaxy Tab 2 8" people swear it can't really be a tablet until I actually hand it to them. And I can't even type on that thing half as well as this 1520. Its perfect.

Its actually quite a bit due to the windows phone keyboard. I can do the swipe on my wife's 9.... Smaller one as well. But truly compared to say the note I used before, which I also couldn't type on half as well as the 1520, the 1520 is just better.
    06-19-2014 02:38 AM
    I really like this phone, and am tempted by it. But I'm also looking at the Lumia 930.

The only thing putting me off is the size, it's huge when you first see it. But I can see the benefits.

My main thing is a phone must have a good camera, which this has. Not to mention the screen would be great for editing photos!

My only other concern is will it fit in my jean pocket haha

As for the phablet discussion, I don't think windows phone as an OS really has a use for a stylus.
    06-19-2014 03:29 AM

Let me quote Wikipedia:

The Lumia 1520 lacks the entire second part of this definition. It has a phablet sized screen, but basically it's just a blown up phone.

But discussing that goes too far. It's not about that. The basic question is: Is it stupid to say the size of the 1520 can be a disadvantage?

We can talk all day about norms and sizes, but the best thing is if we read again what these reviewers wrote. I made an entire post about it. And all of them put this "con" in a relative context. They write it may be too big for some users, they write that it can be uncomfortable to use because of the size. Those are just facts, and they are on the con list because, well, they are disadvantages.

No argument provided here has changed my opinion. No, it's not stupid. It's something that has to be considered when buying this phone. When reading a review it's something people want to know. The phone's size on a picture is not the same as holding it, so they have to comment on it. You still can go to a store and judge for yourself, but it needs to be in a review. It would be stupid to leave it out.
    First...I don't care that you can't take my post seriously..it shows a complete lack if common sense on your part by not.

Second...not all phablets have a stylus and the 1520 meets the criteria sans a stylus. It's screen properties makes it ideal for multimedia play back,web browsing typing over it's smaller siblings. It has the capability of having a large external storage capacity for music and video and games and when 8.11 is fully integrated into to it then video out will be there.

Granted..Xbox sucks right now..but this phablet is still much more than just a blown up phone
    06-19-2014 10:12 AM
    First...I don't care that you can't take my post seriously..it shows a complete lack if common sense on your part by not.
    Please go back and look at my post again. I didn't quote you (sorry for the confusion). I take you seriously and hence I answered to you.

Second...not all phablets have a stylus and the 1520 meets the criteria sans a stylus. It's screen properties makes it ideal for multimedia play back,web browsing typing over it's smaller siblings. It has the capability of having a large external storage capacity for music and video and games and when 8.11 is fully integrated into to it then video out will be there.

Granted..Xbox sucks right now..but this phablet is still much more than just a blown up phone
    Okay, fair enough. That's something we agree on, I wrote the same in this thread already. All of this has nothing to do with the thread though, we went a little off topic here.
    06-19-2014 10:30 AM
    Lol. If you want to think the size of this phone is too large to be convenient--then you will. If you want to find the larger size preferable, you will. But, don't knock this phone until you try it--then decide for yourself if this is worth debating. Is it a valid argument? Perhaps but for whom and for exactly what purpose? To dissuade yourself or someone else from trying it? Most carriers have a two week window in which to return your phone if you don't like it. I have used that option several times. Once with an iPhone 4s, Galaxy Skyrocket II, and, most recently, the HTC One M8. After watching my daughter with her 1520 and all its advantages--especially the battery life--I knew this was the best phone I had seen recently. And it fits into my life perfectly. I am not a big person. This is a BIG phone--for oh so many different reasons.
    06-19-2014 11:03 AM
    Of course a device meant to be mobile can be deemed too big. Or would you also claim it's "sheer stupidity" to say a 25" tablet is too big, when it's clearly labeled "tablet"?

Whether or not it's too big is up to the individual people, and not something that can be shrugged off as people being "stupid". Some may find themselves always having a handbag or similar to carry the device around in, and always have two hands free to use the device with. These people probably won't complain about the size.

But for the average person the size of devices like the Nokia Lumia 1520, Sony Xperia Z Ultra or HTC One Maxx may just be too big for easy and functional everyday use.

It's not about the screen size of the device, it's all about the external measurements. LG have made a great effort to make a large-screened device more portable by reducing the bezels. If Nokia had near-zero bezels on the Lumia 1520, perhaps the number of complaints about the size would be fewer.

Regardless of which, people are entitled to their opinion just as you are entitled to yours. Don't call people stupid just because your opinions don't match.
    Chregu likes this.
    06-19-2014 11:10 AM

Exactly
    06-19-2014 12:16 PM
    Ok....
    06-19-2014 12:21 PM
    For me the 1520 is perfect so it is neither a con nor it is stupid. Making calls is simple. Texting is a breeze. Viewing media content a photos or a video clip or two is a blast. The form factor is practical for me for others I guess it could be a problem. However, the phone is marketed as a phablet so it is naturally going to be bigger than your average smartphone. I had concerns about the size of the phone myself but I after handling the phone at an AT&T store all those concerns quickly vanished. The 1520 is the kind of product one has to really try out form themselves. A review be it positive or negative, a few Youtube clips about the 1520 and even comments from supporters or detractors can give the 1520 a fair assessment. You have to handle the product yourself and you will either like or not....

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
    Last edited by os1019; 06-19-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    06-19-2014 05:25 PM
    Of course a device meant to be mobile can be deemed too big. Or would you also claim it's "sheer stupidity" to say a 25" tablet is too big, when it's clearly labeled "tablet"?

Whether or not it's too big is up to the individual people, and not something that can be shrugged off as people being "stupid". Some may find themselves always having a handbag or similar to carry the device around in, and always have two hands free to use the device with. These people probably won't complain about the size.

But for the average person the size of devices like the Nokia Lumia 1520, Sony Xperia Z Ultra or HTC One Maxx may just be too big for easy and functional everyday use.

It's not about the screen size of the device, it's all about the external measurements. LG have made a great effort to make a large-screened device more portable by reducing the bezels. If Nokia had near-zero bezels on the Lumia 1520, perhaps the number of complaints about the size would be fewer.

Regardless of which, people are entitled to their opinion just as you are entitled to yours. Don't call people stupid just because your opinions don't match.
    I think a person can feel what another person says is stupid,and not actually mean they believe that the actual person is stupid.
    troylytle likes this.
    06-19-2014 06:04 PM
78 1234