Con or Sheer stupidity?

RitaKS

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Call it a "con" or just call it a preference. Whatever the "perceived" awkwardness, the phone is well worth it. I was astounded when my daughter chose the Lumia 1520 in yellow. It was soooo big and she is quite small. (I thought it rather comical.) Fast forward six months and I AM NOW the owner of a white 1520. The brilliant huge screen, the call quality, speakerphone, excellent camera--just point and shoot, quickness, and easy operation of this phone won me over. Who would have thought? If the phone were to add any awkwardness at all to your life, the pleasure in using this device would well outweigh any inconvenience. Critics' perceived "con" has quickly become a "preference" for me. As my daughter warned, "When you pick up other phones, they will seem like toys."

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
You don't get the point that there always needs to be a norm to judge a product. There needs to be a reference. You could make this argument with everything. Everything is a trade off. Bad build quality to keep the cost down, small battery to keep the profile thin, no front facing camera for a budget phone. An interface not to a reviewers taste could be just that, bad taste.

No front facing camera wouldn't be a con for me, I never use it on my WP. It's still listed as a con in all the reviews. Should I say that's stupidity too?

And then there is the fact that a review never can be entirely objective. It's just impossible.

I didn't get the first part of your post at all. You contradict yourself and you are random. The iPhone 5S was criticized for being very small, the 1520 was criticized for being very big. Both come with disadvantages due to their size and as they are not in the current norm, this gets mentioned.

Your second part is also hard to understand. And it has nothing to do with what I said. Choice is good, disagreeing with reviewers is also good, buying the product you like again is good. Calling every reviewer on the internet stupid because you disagree is not good.

That's one for every situation in life: if you think everybody else is wrong with no exception, it might be at the time to reevaluate your point of view.

Nope, I did not call
...every reviewer on the internet stupid...
Nope, nowhere did I say that....

And just because I don't agree with your "norm" statement... does not mean that I don't get what you are saying.... Nope.

Where did I indicate that I
....think everybody else is wrong with no exception...
?

I've neither been random nor have I contradicted anything comments I made on this thread... Nope.

My Opinion throughout is that size is should not be a bases for adding an item to the "CON" side in a review.

And then there is the fact that a review never can be entirely objective. It's just impossible.

Nope, I don't agree with that statement either.... but I do understand what you are saying and why you say it.

So, getting past the trolling of my comments (Oh moderator?)

It is always hoped that Norms or Standards should try to address the basic questions of how does the Device function?

Some Basic functions of a phone device maybe things like:

The Camera: does it take good pictures? does it have useful features?
The Phone: for carrier X what is the call quality? what calling features add to the experience?
The Battery: it's a given that longer battery life is better :smile:
Applications: are those social apps that everyone uses, functional? what's the user experience like?

Subjective reviewers can and do talk about these "norms".... and indeed can still Subjectively call out what is different about a device under review...

i.e. "For those that like and enjoy smaller devices... the Lumia 1520 may not be the phone for you..." - see, there's no need to put it on the "CON" list or in comparison be-little the iPhone for being smaller... size tells me nothing about how the device functions.

Yeap, that's the point I've been making I believe....

~ScottGeek.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Phablets do have norms...they always have larger screen size.

This"con" is the inability to accept that fact.

Everything about them is personal preferences including if it is outside the wants and needs of the individual.
The op is correct in his sentiment of the usage of the word by most people who review phones. Personal bias on their part,doesn't accurately reflect how others feel about it.

These so called"norms" are nothing but people have been given in the past..If all phones had been issued at 6" before..then almost all new phones coming out were 4"...then things would be reversed in the subject

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So, getting past the trolling of my comments (Oh moderator?)

You have reached the point I just can't take you seriously anymore.

Phablets do have norms...they always have larger screen size.

This"con" is the inability to accept that fact.

Everything about them is personal preferences including if it is outside the wants and needs of the individual.
The op is correct in his sentiment of the usage of the word by most people who review phones. Personal bias on their part,doesn't accurately reflect how others feel about it.

These so called"norms" are nothing but people have been given in the past..If all phones had been issued at 6" before..then almost all new phones coming out were 4"...then things would be reversed in the subject

Let me quote Wikipedia:

A phablet (/ˈf?blɪt/), a portmanteau of the words phone and tablet, is a class of mobile device designed to combine or straddle the functions of a smartphone and tablet. Phablets typically have screens that measure (diagonally) between 5.01 and 6.9 inches (130 to 180 mm), which complement screen-intensive activity such as mobile web browsing and multimedia viewing. Phablets may also include software optimized for an integral self-storing stylus to facilitate sketching, note-taking and annotation.

The Lumia 1520 lacks the entire second part of this definition. It has a phablet sized screen, but basically it's just a blown up phone.

But discussing that goes too far. It's not about that. The basic question is: Is it stupid to say the size of the 1520 can be a disadvantage?

We can talk all day about norms and sizes, but the best thing is if we read again what these reviewers wrote. I made an entire post about it. And all of them put this "con" in a relative context. They write it may be too big for some users, they write that it can be uncomfortable to use because of the size. Those are just facts, and they are on the con list because, well, they are disadvantages.

No argument provided here has changed my opinion. No, it's not stupid. It's something that has to be considered when buying this phone. When reading a review it's something people want to know. The phone's size on a picture is not the same as holding it, so they have to comment on it. You still can go to a store and judge for yourself, but it needs to be in a review. It would be stupid to leave it out.

NastySasquatch

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've got big hands even for being 6'6". Between that and some injuries this was the first smartphone I could use. I tried other phablets, and this phone fits my hand perfectly. I never want a different phone. Just wanted to put that out there. For reference when I'm 1 handing my Galaxy Tab 2 8" people swear it can't really be a tablet until I actually hand it to them. And I can't even type on that thing half as well as this 1520. Its perfect.

Its actually quite a bit due to the windows phone keyboard. I can do the swipe on my wife's 9.... Smaller one as well. But truly compared to say the note I used before, which I also couldn't type on half as well as the 1520, the 1520 is just better.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I really like this phone, and am tempted by it. But I'm also looking at the Lumia 930.

The only thing putting me off is the size, it's huge when you first see it. But I can see the benefits.

My main thing is a phone must have a good camera, which this has. Not to mention the screen would be great for editing photos!

My only other concern is will it fit in my jean pocket haha

As for the phablet discussion, I don't think windows phone as an OS really has a use for a stylus.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You have reached the point I just can't take you seriously anymore.

Let me quote Wikipedia:

The Lumia 1520 lacks the entire second part of this definition. It has a phablet sized screen, but basically it's just a blown up phone.

But discussing that goes too far. It's not about that. The basic question is: Is it stupid to say the size of the 1520 can be a disadvantage?

We can talk all day about norms and sizes, but the best thing is if we read again what these reviewers wrote. I made an entire post about it. And all of them put this "con" in a relative context. They write it may be too big for some users, they write that it can be uncomfortable to use because of the size. Those are just facts, and they are on the con list because, well, they are disadvantages.

No argument provided here has changed my opinion. No, it's not stupid. It's something that has to be considered when buying this phone. When reading a review it's something people want to know. The phone's size on a picture is not the same as holding it, so they have to comment on it. You still can go to a store and judge for yourself, but it needs to be in a review. It would be stupid to leave it out.

First...I don't care that you can't take my post seriously..it shows a complete lack if common sense on your part by not.

Second...not all phablets have a stylus and the 1520 meets the criteria sans a stylus. It's screen properties makes it ideal for multimedia play back,web browsing typing over it's smaller siblings. It has the capability of having a large external storage capacity for music and video and games and when 8.11 is fully integrated into to it then video out will be there.

Granted..Xbox sucks right now..but this phablet is still much more than just a blown up phone

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
First...I don't care that you can't take my post seriously..it shows a complete lack if common sense on your part by not.

Please go back and look at my post again. I didn't quote you (sorry for the confusion). I take you seriously and hence I answered to you.

Second...not all phablets have a stylus and the 1520 meets the criteria sans a stylus. It's screen properties makes it ideal for multimedia play back,web browsing typing over it's smaller siblings. It has the capability of having a large external storage capacity for music and video and games and when 8.11 is fully integrated into to it then video out will be there.

Granted..Xbox sucks right now..but this phablet is still much more than just a blown up phone

Okay, fair enough. That's something we agree on, I wrote the same in this thread already. All of this has nothing to do with the thread though, we went a little off topic here.

RitaKS

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Lol. If you want to think the size of this phone is too large to be convenient--then you will. If you want to find the larger size preferable, you will. But, don't knock this phone until you try it--then decide for yourself if this is worth debating. Is it a valid argument? Perhaps but for whom and for exactly what purpose? To dissuade yourself or someone else from trying it? Most carriers have a two week window in which to return your phone if you don't like it. I have used that option several times. Once with an iPhone 4s, Galaxy Skyrocket II, and, most recently, the HTC One M8. After watching my daughter with her 1520 and all its advantages--especially the battery life--I knew this was the best phone I had seen recently. And it fits into my life perfectly. I am not a big person. This is a BIG phone--for oh so many different reasons. :smile:

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Of course a device meant to be mobile can be deemed too big. Or would you also claim it's "sheer stupidity" to say a 25" tablet is too big, when it's clearly labeled "tablet"?

Whether or not it's too big is up to the individual people, and not something that can be shrugged off as people being "stupid". Some may find themselves always having a handbag or similar to carry the device around in, and always have two hands free to use the device with. These people probably won't complain about the size.

But for the average person the size of devices like the Nokia Lumia 1520, Sony Xperia Z Ultra or HTC One Maxx may just be too big for easy and functional everyday use.

It's not about the screen size of the device, it's all about the external measurements. LG have made a great effort to make a large-screened device more portable by reducing the bezels. If Nokia had near-zero bezels on the Lumia 1520, perhaps the number of complaints about the size would be fewer.

Regardless of which, people are entitled to their opinion just as you are entitled to yours. Don't call people stupid just because your opinions don't match.

os1019

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
For me the 1520 is perfect so it is neither a con nor it is stupid. Making calls is simple. Texting is a breeze. Viewing media content a photos or a video clip or two is a blast. The form factor is practical for me for others I guess it could be a problem. However, the phone is marketed as a phablet so it is naturally going to be bigger than your average smartphone. I had concerns about the size of the phone myself but I after handling the phone at an AT&T store all those concerns quickly vanished. The 1520 is the kind of product one has to really try out form themselves. A review be it positive or negative, a few Youtube clips about the 1520 and even comments from supporters or detractors can give the 1520 a fair assessment. You have to handle the product yourself and you will either like or not....

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Of course a device meant to be mobile can be deemed too big. Or would you also claim it's "sheer stupidity" to say a 25" tablet is too big, when it's clearly labeled "tablet"?

Whether or not it's too big is up to the individual people, and not something that can be shrugged off as people being "stupid". Some may find themselves always having a handbag or similar to carry the device around in, and always have two hands free to use the device with. These people probably won't complain about the size.

But for the average person the size of devices like the Nokia Lumia 1520, Sony Xperia Z Ultra or HTC One Maxx may just be too big for easy and functional everyday use.

It's not about the screen size of the device, it's all about the external measurements. LG have made a great effort to make a large-screened device more portable by reducing the bezels. If Nokia had near-zero bezels on the Lumia 1520, perhaps the number of complaints about the size would be fewer.

Regardless of which, people are entitled to their opinion just as you are entitled to yours. Don't call people stupid just because your opinions don't match.

I think a person can feel what another person says is stupid,and not actually mean they believe that the actual person is stupid.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully, to sum this all up - I absolutely love my Lumia 1520, makes everything else diminutive. For Sasquatch it's the perfect sized device, Bruno, on the other hand prefers a smaller device - both referencing their own norms ... (just to paraphrase a few posters).

As I've always said - '... No perfect phone, just perfect for you ...'

& I saw use case used, that's the jist of it, what are you doing with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb