Okay, talk me into ditching my Lumia Icon for this 1520.

tanyet

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The screen sensitivity issues on the 1520 have been driving me crazy. There are 25 pages on it at the Nokia forums. In my case it is almost unusable. Nokia doesn't seem to be doing much about it either which is a shame.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I love my Icon and I think you're being unfair about how much it's "struggling."

That said, if I was on AT&T, I would have picked the 1520 over the Icon in a heart beat. The battery life alone is enough to win the day for me.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
The screen sensitivity issues on the 1520 have been driving me crazy. There are 25 pages on it at the Nokia forums. In my case it is almost unusable. Nokia doesn't seem to be doing much about it either which is a shame.

Have you tried turning the screen sensitivity down to 'medium' in the settings menu? It's on 'high' by default.

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Icon over 1520ATT- inbuilt wireless charging , better pixel density, better build quality.
1520Att over Icon- Glance screen, Double Tap to wake , Micro Sd expansion upto 128 GB. 5 quick settings toggles in 8.1

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Icon over 1520ATT- inbuilt wireless charging , better pixel density, better build quality.
1520Att over Icon- Glance screen, Double Tap to wake , Micro Sd expansion upto 128 GB. 5 quick settings toggles in 8.1
Yeah, I'm well aware of the advantages (you missed a real big one about how 1520 has battery life over the Icon).

By all means, the 1520 is the better phone and I've always known that... just that the size made me go with the Icon. The screen issue I'm hearing of is kinda intimidating, but it seems like enough people don't suffer from that to where I'll take a gamble.

I had an offer come up that was too good to ignore, so I'll soon have the 1520 in my hands to where I can put in the time and definitively say if the oversized form factor is really that painful. I'm hoping I like it, because if I do my icon will net me about $200 more than I paid for this 1520.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I never buy network locked phones. Where possible I will always buy the international version and use a sim-only plan. This not only allows me to choose any network I want, but also means the phone comes with no strings attached and doesn't need unlocking in the future, if for example I want to go abroad and use a local SIM to get fair rates. No windows phones sold here in the UK come with the carrier logo etched onto the body either. And If I lived in America I'd defintely get the int'l version even if it involved paying a lot more money.

My yellow 1520 is lovely, and wireless charging comes built-in, so there's no need to attach an accessory. I paid what would, in dollars, be $600 for it. Before you think that's expensive, here in the UK we pay a lot more for gadgets, generally speaking you guys get stuff cheap compared to us.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I never buy network locked phones. Where possible I will always buy the international version and use a sim-only plan. This not only allows me to choose any network I want, but also means the phone comes with no strings attached and doesn't need unlocking in the future, if for example I want to go abroad and use a local SIM to get fair rates. No windows phones sold here in the UK come with the carrier logo etched onto the body either. And If I lived in America I'd defintely get the int'l version even if it involved paying a lot more money.
The problem is the international version of the 1520 doesn't seem to support LTE from what I've read.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
The problem is the international version of the 1520 doesn't seem to support LTE from what I've read.

Actually, you make a good point. The USA, for some reason unbeknownst to me, uses different LTE frequencies to most of the world. It's not that the int'l 1520 doesn't support LTE, it's just not tuned for the correct bands in the USA. So the tradeoff would be price and no 4G. I'll leave Americans to decide if they are willing to accept those sacrifices :)

I actually had a look at some American carrier's websites and I'm amazed how inflexible mobile networks are over there! Where I live you can either buy subsidised, or choose any unlocked handset and order what we call a 'SIM only plan' which is basically where you order the SIM card on its own, pop it in any unlocked handset of your choice, and activate it on a billing plan. For example I get 200 minutes, 5000 texts and truly unlimited mobile data for only 12.90 ($21.90) per month. I paid off the handset fully by buying it outright. This isn't the same as a pre-paid SIM. You get the SIM for free through the post, then activate it manually and set up a recurring plan.

You can even get contract-free recurring one-month subscription plans so if you want to change network you can simply stop the billing - no cancellation fees, no being locked-in.

Last edited:

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you are correct, the RM-937 does not support US LTE. But, as previously mentioned by Will6371, the 1520.3 (RM-938) supports US LTE, is unlocked, has 32GB(haven't seen a lesser variant yet), and has Qi Wireless charging.
The 1520.3 works great, just picked one up last week, and others can attest to the same thing ;)

shykhan16

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you've heard the news, but us Lumia Icon guys have been fighting crazy *** issues where our power button has 2-8 seconds of delay when we're on WiFi, as well as overheating/battery drain issues that seem to be mostly ignored... also starting to feel the pain of having no LTE/MMS as I'm using the Verizon Icon on AT&T... and outside of that, I refuse to acknowledge the Icon as a flagship since it can't even utilize the best features of WP8.1 (Storage Sense).

...I'm absolutely in love with this device's form factor though. Visually, it's the best damn looking Windows Phone I've ever owned, it looks absolutely amazing next to the Surface 2/Surface Pro 3, and it performs like a champion... but seeing as my mythical "Lumia Icon with an SD card slot" doesn't even seem like it's been conceived, I'm thinking about giving this elephantine monster a shot. I've demoed it, and even had some time to see how ideal it feels in the pocket.

The 1520 is damn huge... but I'm getting to a point where I may actually overlook that.

So I ask of you, WPCentral peoples... talk me into it... talk me into ditching the #3 best for the #1 benchmarking phone in the world.

IMHO I would definitely wait for the McLaren. I have a 925 and I was about to buy the 1520.3 unlocked but I heard about the McLaren and how its coming to att Verizon and YESS Tmobile. The McLaren is probably going to be better than the 1520 so I would just wait like I am. Its going to be around a September November release

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
IMHO I would definitely wait for the McLaren. I have a 925 and I was about to buy the 1520.3 unlocked but I heard about the McLaren and how its coming to att Verizon and YESS Tmobile. The McLaren is probably going to be better than the 1520 so I would just wait like I am. Its going to be around a September November release

Right, so... 4-5 months.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
How is it better in every sense? They are essentially the same phone, minus the larger screen of the 1520
It kinda is... glance, better battery life, 5 shortcuts, external storage, IPSLCD>AMOLED for color accuracy, since I'm on AT&T I won't sacrifice LTE/MMS... and just because it is not the Icon, it's GOT to at least have less WiFi issues. Oh my God... the WiFi issues...!!!

...they're actually quite different.
Right, so... 4-5 months.
Exactly... if McLaren really does do something to wow me... I'll have no regrets about blowing a little cash for it even if it's off contract. But that's a lot more waiting than I plan to do when I could blow 3 hundo on a 1520, sell the Icon for ~$500 and try to look beyond how big the 1520 is until I get the phone that truly does pack everything awesome about the 1520 into a 5in package (and yes, I am implying that the Icon doesn't).

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you are correct, the RM-937 does not support US LTE. But, as previously mentioned by Will6371, the 1520.3 (RM-938) supports US LTE, is unlocked, has 32GB(haven't seen a lesser variant yet), and has Qi Wireless charging.
The 1520.3 works great, just picked one up last week, and others can attest to the same thing ;)

Yeap 1520.3 works beautifully on AT&T.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6