1520 and FLAC playback - Apps are out there, which is the best?

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I am finally getting the chance to really play around with this beast of a phone, about 2 weeks in. I was thinking, this phone has a monster processor, I can put a large SD card in it, why not move some of my FLAC files onto it and see how it sounds?

I admit I don't have an optimal audio setup, since I am using Bluetooth and an LG Tone HBS 730. It sounds pretty good, but it's by no means audiophile quality.

So, the meat of my question is do we have a favorite app? I proved that it works just fine using "FLAC Player SD for Windows Phone" by rainbow.serpent.software. I am playing lossless 16bit FLAC files.

This app works, but it has a couple of shortcomings. One seems to be based on a Microsoft limitation where the Music folder is not accessible by third party apps. This is according to the vendor of this app, so grain of salt taken. The other issue I have with this app is that when I move off of it it doesn't seem to stay open and certainly doesn't save my place in a song. I'll address these with the vendor as well since they deserve it, the app does work pretty well.

Most of the other apps seem to only stream the music and not decode and play FLAC music.

Anyone else interested in this?

​Ivan from Florida.
Lumia 1520.2 on AT&T

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I didn't try that one due to the fact that it only gets songs from your OneDrive. I wanted to play songs locally, since we have all of this CPU on this phone. also, sound quality would be compromised by any network latency to the cloud. The reviews were not great for this approach.

I listen to most music in compressed formats like WMA, but do own some "HD" music in FLAC format such as what you can buy from HDTracks. It's higher quality sound.

​It's a fun question, academic really. I don't mind compressed music, within boundaries, but I like lossless better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss