WhatsApp looks ridiculous.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey, we paid for our devices. We deserve good service and apps.. If its not good enough it's unacceptable..

So who's the decider of "good enough"? We're lucky to have some of the apps we have and here we sit complaining that the only large screen windows phone does not display those apps properly. My two cents sell the phone and go buy a 930 or fire up a kick starter and pay some high school kid to build a app.

darth pax

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the problem with font size is necessarily with WhatsApp in either WP8.0 or 8.1
Look around and you'll notice many apps have this issue and cannot match the correct scaling (like the default messaging app).

For example, after upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 I noticed the Storyteller and HERE maps apps (as an example) fonts and function buttons like "Delete" have gotten bigger and uglier.

Whatever font setting is available for the default messaging and system apps are clearly not available to 3rd party developers. But how do you get this across to those idiots at MS .. I don't know.

SupremeUser

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I noticed this issue the very first day I bought my 1520 and opened WhatsApp. There's even a little black bar in the bottom of the screen which is a real waste of screen space. I actually contacted WhatsApp devs about this some time ago, but they didn't even bother to respond. They only sent me some automatic message that directed me to view some useless FAQ from their site.

The unoptimized scaling is of course an issue with many of the apps, but whatsapp is probably the one that people use the most and it's such a shame that we cannot have the same typing experience with this app as we have with the default messaging app. The messaging app is perfect and scales well like any app developed by Microsoft itself, but this Whatsapp on WP is just complete s*it compared to Android version on a phone with a similiar screen size. I sometimes miss those well scaling apps from Android. You may have also noticed that some of the apps developed by Nokia scale badly aswell, even though 1520 carries their brand name. Just open HERE Maps and navigate the setting pages or open the Nokia Camera and do the same. What a shame. Seems like only Microsoft cares about this platform because their apps are always pretty good, with the expection of the default Music and Video app (what happened there?).

Is there any alternative clients to Whatsapp that can send messages to other people who use Whatsapp?

rohit111

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes. The font is too big. They should lessen it. It hardly fits ten messages (single line) in the same screen, that sucks. You have to scroll for ages even for yesterday's chats. Hope they do something. The black background looks awesome my L820 and other AMOLEDs though. Also the dp of the person isn't visible. Microsoft should have taken initiative to brush up this app popular worldwide.

Tyler Swindell

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
The problem is Windows Phone 7 was designed for much smaller WVGA AMOLED screens. With Windows Phone 8's support for a wide variety of specs including HD LCD displays, the apps that were good enough are now looking a little odd now. With the 1520, it is outrageously hard to use.

With GDR3, Microsoft gave devs a way to take advantage of the HD screen, called a zoombox control. That's how WPCentral looks so good on the 1520 right now.

The true support for 1080p apps comes with the WinRT framework, WinRT apps do look great on our 1520s. Try any of the new universal apps, they scale perfectly to the screen. Remote Desktop, Reading List, Torrex Pro, Files&Folders Pro, etc. Universal apps are the future, it is the type of update to look for in an app nowadays, because adding support for 8.1 doesn't cut it, that's just a workaround, universal apps have their built-in advantages over legacy apps that continue to get updates.

SupremeUser

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
They responded by automatic message again, which means there is probably not going to be any answer. Would be nice to know even a timeline when they are maybe going to update their app.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Telegram also looks pretty bad. I don't know if as bad as WhatsApp but I don't like it one bit.

Just sent them a twit about it.

dylangrey

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I think they are permanently working on the app...but i have no idea, why updates take so long...especialy now as they came under fire due to security issues

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss