Date and time resets after battery runs out and after a soft-reset

RecklessCoder

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I got a Nokia Lumia 1520 last week. Coming from an HTC One (M7), I am still impressed with the smoothness of Windows Phone OS -rarely I get any loading for an app. Moreover Metro has come a long way since the days of ZuneHD.

However I got a slight problem with the date/ time. Both the date and time gets reset back to 20 July 2013, 03:00 after the battery runs out or I try a soft reset.
I already tried:
1) Setting the time on manual; it will reset back to manual time and the date/time above.
2) Setting the time on automatic, will still get reset back to manual and the wrong date/time.
3) Instead of setting the phone on 4G, I used the 3G and automatic. Same as above.
4) Setting the date manually and then to automatic, keeps the date/time I setup manually.
5) Turning the device off and on again (not soft reset with the volume key) will keep the date/ time regardless if it was set manually or manually and then automatically.
Any other ideas/ suggestions?

This is my 2nd copy of this phone -the first one came boxed opened and with a slight scratch, even if the phone was still sealed. I bought it SIM-free from Amazon Uk and I am using it on 3 Mobile, UK.

Thanks in advance for any help!

RecklessCoder

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi there.

I saw your earlier question on the same issue. The date/time is set by your carrier, not by internet time servers.

Please see my reply here

http://forums.windowscentral.com/as...-after-battery-runs-out-after-soft-reset.html

Hello Pete,

Sorry for the double post. I was not sure if the question was posted or not, as I was getting an invalid link.

I saw your reply and thank you for the input. My previous phone -HTC One- uses NITZ. I.e. when I am in London's tube or when at my office, where I had wifi but no carrier signal I was always getting an error getting my time settings. But the phone could still work.

Even if the automatic time does not work due to the carrier, which is not a deal breaker for me, why does the manual time always go off when the bat runs out or I do a soft reset?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess there's no clock battery in the phone, so it resets to it's idea of a Julian date after a reset. For Windows Phone 8.1, it's in 2014, so at least it makes it a little easier to correct.

RecklessCoder

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I guess there's no clock battery in the phone, so it resets to it's idea of a Julian date after a reset. For Windows Phone 8.1, it's in 2014, so at least it makes it a little easier to correct.

A bit odd for a flagship model if you ask me. I wouldn't mind if MS adds an internet time server.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft did it this way because the time served by your local provider towers would always be set to local time, and probably expected most providers to have the protocol turned on. I expect that internet time servers weren't used for some good reason or that the IP address may not geolocate correctly to your own location.

I'm only making assumption here, I'm as frustrated as you are that I have to manually set the date/time after a reset (doubly annoying when I don't have access to a watch/clock at the time).

There are apps that display the current time from a time server (ClockSync is one) which can show you how close your phone's time is to the time server's time.

As long as you're within 5 minutes or so, there won't be any adverse affects with the phones functionality (syncing emails, etc).

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It is normal for the time to reset after a soft reset, they all do it.

The problem with the time not setting when in automatic is down to 3 network. I had the same problem with them but on EE and O2 it work fine.

RecklessCoder

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
It is normal for the time to reset after a soft reset, they all do it.

The problem with the time not setting when in automatic is down to 3 network. I had the same problem with them but on EE and O2 it work fine.

It is odd as Aperture who is on EE can't use automatic. O2 however appears to be NITZ compliant for sure.

RecklessCoder

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft did it this way because the time served by your local provider towers would always be set to local time, and probably expected most providers to have the protocol turned on. I expect that internet time servers weren't used for some good reason or that the IP address may not geolocate correctly to your own location.
I guess using an internet server drains battery due to the (minimum) data connection needed every now and then. Still I wouldn't mind it they did it ala HTC; if you lost NZIT connection keep/use last configured time instead of resetting it. Or keep it as a backup option?

I'm only making assumption here, I'm as frustrated as you are that I have to manually set the date/time after a reset (doubly annoying when I don't have access to a watch/clock at the time).
I know, a bit frustrated, but still overly pleased with the OS. I only found about it when I was trying to download new apps last week.

There are apps that display the current time from a time server (ClockSync is one) which can show you how close your phone's time is to the time server's time.
Will check it out. Thanks.

As long as you're within 5 minutes or so, there won't be any adverse affects with the phones functionality (syncing emails, etc).
I was at Amsterdam -brilliant short vacation destination- over the last four days. While my Lumia survived on battery, using WiFi at the hotel and offline maps (great feature), due to the French strikes I had over 7 hours delay and redirected from Gatwick to Luton yesterday. My phone got off battery, the airport was pretty busy and with European sockets instead of the triple, UK ones to charge it. Long story short, I got home at 3 o' clock this morning. I went to bed, after puting the phone on a charger and setting up an alarm. I woke up at "8:30" and walked to work by "9:30". When I got there, the office was deserted! Then I realised from my PC's time, that the time was again wrong on my phone.... It was 8 in the morning. I was/am like a zoombie the whole day. I worry mostly about adverse affects on me than on the phone. xD Still a bit fun story to tell.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I've done that before as well, but thankfully caught myself after getting showered and dressed at 2am when the alarm went off, and then feeling like a bit of an ***** and going back to bed again... :D

But thankfully, the 1520 has a pretty decent battery life with moderate use (I'm getting 30 hours typically), and the charging cable is pretty standard, so I carry one with me when travelling (or I ask someone for a loan). Thankfully the days of weird unique chargers are behind us.

RecklessCoder

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've done that before as well, but thankfully caught myself after getting showered and dressed at 2am when the alarm went off, and then feeling like a bit of an ***** and going back to bed again... :D

But thankfully, the 1520 has a pretty decent battery life with moderate use (I'm getting 30 hours typically), and the charging cable is pretty standard, so I carry one with me when travelling (or I ask someone for a loan). Thankfully the days of weird unique chargers are behind us.
True. The 1520 survived 4 days, which included using GPS, WiFi and watching Park & Recreation for 1-2 hours per day. The battery is great.

Kinda irrelevant with this thread; but any suggestions on a good case? I got a heavy-duty from amazon, but it looks like it scratched my precious. :-(

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, can't help you with a case recommendation - I don't tend to use cases or screen protectors on my phones - I just feel they add too much bulk and might interfere with the screen response. I don't really mind it gets a couple of "life" marks.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In which case you need a hermetically sealed glass box with a capacitive stylii-fingered waldo....

RecklessCoder

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
In which case you need a hermetically sealed glass box with a capacitive stylii-fingered waldo....

I wish there was one... I will try get a small, soft case and call it a date.

I jumped to Windows Phone for apps development and cause I got really tired of Google and Android.

PS: A quick search for NZIT and EE on Google came back with your FB post (assuming you are that Pete) on EE's page.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. I don't recall posting on EE's Facebook page, but could well have done a few years ago. But then again, I'm probably not the only EE customer called Pete :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos