Lumia 1520 - a phablet that treated as a Lumia 520 by MS/Nokia.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The absolute only thing I think shoud have been redesigned for the 6" phablets is the keyboard, or allow 3rd party keyboards to be installed. while I was fine with it, my wife went back to the 925 specifically because of the keyboard. somethings shouldn't be just upscaled.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm not quite understanding your statement. The appeal of the 1520 is the size of the screen first and foremost. I finally gave up my 920 because of that and in retrospect it does come with a better camera. The third tile in 8.1 really shines on the 1520 as well. It takes advantage of some of the more detailed games because of it's 1080p screen. Not to mention the SD slot is really nice to have. I guess my questions is why would you want to have dedicated software for a device thats purpose really is to project the OS on a larger screen?

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I think that is the whole point.
L1520 was released and it didn't appeal to some users because of the size so Nokia made it in a smaller size, the LIcon/L930.
They are meant to be the exact same phone in different sizes (Kudos to Nokia for giving us size variants), so "every" customer could have the top Nokia hardware.

On other words, L930/LIcon = Big L1520.
Nokia customers asked for this, so....

Then why is it still being manufactured?
The 1520 is the best Windows Phone period.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Then why is it still being manufactured?

Well like I said earlier, when L1520 was brought out, some people complained the it was a perfect phone but the size was just too big for them to get onboard. For this reason Nokia decided to create a smaller version for such people.
But that is just "some people". There are still a lot of people (like me and probably you) who prefer the bigger size and the L1520 is still in production for such people.
Nokia is known for its variations. They try to make a phone of all grades and specs to appease all customers.

The 1520 is the best Windows Phone period.

Well that is pretty much subjective. Only 3 differences (I know of ) between the L1520 and the L930.
1. Glance screen support (of which it would no longer be updated).
2. Memory card.
3. Size.

If you don't use glance screen and a 32Gb memory card is sufficient for you (of which there are lots of people), the question of a "better phone" becomes solely dependent on your size preference. I know people who would never consider the L1520.
If you prefer smaller phones, L930 wins.
If you prefer bigger phones (phablet) L1520 wins.

I personally go with L1520, but again thats subjective.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The split screen functionality on the Galaxy Note 3 seemed a little congested even though it is a nice feature to have. I like the feature on Windows 8.1 on my ASUS T100 because now you're talking about a 10"+ screen which gives the extra space to get a full peripheral effect. The crisp display is the biggest advantage. I love playing Spartan assault or Modern Warfare 4 on my 1520. The fact that it's not too thick or about the same weight as the 920 is an amazing convenience. Air gestures and the stylus are a great thing, but those are luxuries that you really don't need on the 1520, especially with 8.1 and you can take down notes using your finger or a stylus. The size is going to continue to be the biggest dilemma for those looking at the 1520 to replace their current phone. You're limited on where you can store it, most pockets aren't deep enough, and for some holding that colossal phone to your ear may seem too foreign.

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Wel thats one point I missed. But L930 has a good enough battery also.
And the bigger screen on L1520 makes it consume a lot more power while in use.

Do you use a L1520 as a daily driver?

L930 has a battery of 2420mAH while L1520 has 3400 mAH - 40% bigger.
L1520 has "Double tap to wake up" future which is know to be a battery drainer for all the supported Nokia phones.
L930 does not have Double tap to wake up.

With the Double tap to wake up turned on...
L1520 gives easily 2.5 to 3 days life in 2G network while in 3G it gives 2 days with moderate talk time.
In continues Wifi it gives one day - Wifi know to consume more power than 2 or 3G network.
Strictly no games for the above figures. 10 to 15 minutes of Music or Video included. The battery figures are from the daily usage.

One observation here - if you don't use a battery monitor app, you get a little more battery juice to go on!

Though the display size is 5", L930 may not give a battery usage figure like L1520 due to the display technology.

No offense here pls.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

L1520 has "Double tap to wake up" future which is know to be a battery drainer for all the supported Nokia phones.

L1520 gives easily 2.5 to 3 days life in 2G network while in 3G it gives 2 days with moderate talk time.
In continues Wifi it gives one day - Wifi know to consume more power than 2 or 3G network.
Strictly no games for the above figures. 10 to 15 minutes of Music or Video included. The battery figures are from the daily usage.

One observation here - if you don't use a battery monitor app, you get a little more battery juice to go on!

Though the display size is 5", L930 may not give a battery usage figure like L1520 due to the display technology.

No offense here pls.

Well just a broader explanation of what I said.
I just pointed out that although the L1520 has a bigger battery, it also consumes more power, but without all the technical explanation.

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Well just a broader explanation of what I said.
I just pointed out that although the L1520 has a bigger battery, it also consumes more power, but without all the technical explanation.

It is not!
Read the last sentence "Though the display size is 5", L930 may not give a battery usage figure like L1520 due to the display technology."

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

No offense here pls.

Double tap is anything but a battery hog, likewise glance isn't either if set to peak.

I thought that the 930/icon had double tap to wake.

WiFi on all the time more often than not uses less battery especially if your in a place that has less than perfect 3g/4g signal.

The ips display in the 1520 is heavier on the battery than the display in the 930/icon.

Yes I do use a 1520 as my daily driver and I get well over 12 hours screen on time but I don't use my phone for gaming so about 70% of the time is web browsing, 10% on emails, 10% on calls and the rest of the time is YouTube.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
All i want is apps to take a phablet UI layout like android does but i guess i have to wait for that to happen

Why? Look at iOS. The only UI concession on an iPad is the split keyboard. Otherwise it's the same. WP is much closer to iOS in design philosophy than to Android, accept it. Apart from some tweaks to the keyboard, why should big screen WP be any different to small screen WP?

jfreiman

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I too have a 1520 and while I love it, I agree that the phablet lacks the scaling required for its 6" 1080p display.
The phone is great, but apps appear no different than my 1020 or my Sister's 520.
Instead of embracing the larger and higher resolution screen, it seems like Microsoft adjusted the Usability Settings -- settings that magnify the screen and native apps, instead of taking advantage of the additional real estate.
I had hoped that WP 8.1 would work towards making the 1520 more useful, but it's looking like we'll have to look to future updates for any more added capabilities.
BTW, I think this issue is unique to the 6" 1520 and possibly the 1320 only and does not effect the full HD icon/930 with their 5" display.
Unless more manufactures release 6+" Windows Phones and the 1520 wasn't a fluke, we may have to wait a long while or be happy with our (ATT's) decision to back such a niche phone.
That said, its a great phone for grandparents' even if it is a bit costly! :D

jfreiman

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Why? Look at iOS. The only UI concession on an iPad is the split keyboard. Otherwise it's the same. WP is much closer to iOS in design philosophy than to Android, accept it. Apart from some tweaks to the keyboard, why should big screen WP be any different to small screen WP?

You have got to be kidding me! Do you seriously think that iPhone and iPad apps both behave the same?
Like Android, their phones, phablets and tablets share a common OS, but the programming interface for developers allows or requires them to behave and display differently on different screen sizes.
Just like how Windows 8.1 apps appear differently on my 8" Dell, my 10.4" Surface 2 and my 29" ultrawide 21:9 desktop. They share common user interface but they adapt to different screen sizes - not just resolution.
This is all that I AM EXPECTING with future updates to Windows Phone - adapt to the available screen sizes. FYI, WP8.0 already does some changing based on if a display is 16:9 or 15:10.

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Well if theres a glimmer of hope, MS added an extra toggle option on the 1520 when compared to the 1520.

I was annoyed at first that they didn't make the keyboard smaller for one-handed use. Wordflow kind of made things better in that regard. I agree Microsoft and devs can work on optimizing their apps better, but at the end of the day it is a phone for me. Split-screen etc are better on a tablet anyways.

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Received the Cyan update. Firmware made the phone faster. Seems good for one more year without hassle.
Though the phone is good in battery and performance, decided not to go for a phablet anymore and burn finger till Microsoft draws the line between phablet and phone - don't plan to jump ship. Pls - this is my personal views and no debate and personal hurt to any one and expect the same in return.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99