Is the Nokia lumia 1520.3 same as RM-938? Does Nokia provide/honor manufacturer warranty inside US?

divednas

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I see many sellers who provide the Lumia1520 RM938 or 1520.3 for around $500. Not sure if they give the 1yr warrant on it. Until now, my research tells me that this version should work on ATT LTE.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

veneziaad

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
No938USAWarranty.png

I'm pissed, because they basically are sending me my phone back with a nice screw you letter. Their USA support page originally told me yeah it's in warranty and even gave me the shipping label and everything... They shouldn't have deceived me like that. I think I'm pretty much out of options because I don't think newegg wants anything to do with warranty, I've had this phone for 3 months. And I'm guessing that if I knew which Nokia country support to contact, it would be difficult because of language, and they would BS their way out of it anyway because I'm in the US...

This is a lesson learned for me when it comes to unlocked phones, particularly that this was an import basically, but I'm severely disappointed by Nokia's response to this. I don't take losing $600 after 3 months lightly.

Edit: the problem was the touchscreen digitizer going nuts, scrolling itself like crazy and activating the search button nonstop on occasion. Also, near the end, WiFi connections didn't give me internet access and background tasks stopped working (push notifications, dead live tiles).

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 72178

I'm pissed, because they basically are sending me my phone back with a nice screw you letter. Their USA support page originally told me yeah it's in warranty and even gave me the shipping label and everything... They shouldn't have deceived me like that. I think I'm pretty much out of options because I don't think newegg wants anything to do with warranty, I've had this phone for 3 months. And I'm guessing that if I knew which Nokia country support to contact, it would be difficult because of language, and they would BS their way out of it anyway because I'm in the US...

This is a lesson learned for me when it comes to unlocked phones, particularly that this was an import basically, but I'm severely disappointed by Nokia's response to this. I don't take losing $600 after 3 months lightly.

Edit: the problem was the touchscreen digitizer going nuts, scrolling itself like crazy and activating the search button nonstop on occasion. Also, near the end, WiFi connections didn't give me internet access and background tasks stopped working (push notifications, dead live tiles).

Wow.. that's effed up. Really hope I never have to send mine in for repair.

Monkeeking

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I got the same letter as you. Really retarded if you ask me. If your name is on something you honor it. Regardless of the region, country, etc.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I got the same letter as you. Really retarded if you ask me. If your name is on something you honor it. Regardless of the region, country, etc.
Unfortunately that's not how it works, some companies do provide international extended warranty but there's a price for that, some simply don't.

Matthew Heinselman

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I too am pissed and yes it is very much an f you letter. My screen has a big defect with yellowing on the right adjacent to the volume buttons. I contacted Nokia Care directly and told them what was going on as I though that since it was a Nokia phone they should honor it no matter where the phone was made for... I will let you know how that goes as I told the customer care rep that if they didn't fix it this time then I will NEVER buy another unlocked phone from them again...
Damage.PNG
Screenshot (3).png

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
You are talking to the wrong people, but there is hope. Your phone came from a company in another country. The money to fix phones under warranty comes from the sale of those phones. Nokia US never got a dime for that phone.

You should try to contact the warranty repair department for the company that shipped the phone in the first place. Many 1520.3s come from Mexico. Don't know what hoops you have to jump thru but shouldn't be any different than a citizen of that country needing a repair while outside the country.

That's assuming whoever you bought it from won't replace it or give you a refund.

Matthew Heinselman

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
You are absolutely right, the company that I bought it from (B&H Photo) said they would fix it in 4-6 weeks. I will be selling it on eBay after I get it back from them, it is too big for my hands.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I am on the fence right now about the 1520.3.
I really want it, but my past import experience with nokia was not good.

I'm thinking maybe i should just buy it straight up from ATT and do the wireless charging mod.
They would never figure it out.

I also worry a bit about buying a phone that is a year old for $500.

JennyTan

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
My 1520.3 from newegg.com failed to boot last week. Bought back on July 15. I contacted nokia warranty department, they asked me to put in my 1520.3's IMEI to their website to check if it is warranted. I read to him and he checked from his computer and said yes, it is warranted for 1 year. So I know for sure any 1520.3 from newegg.com gets NokiaUSA 1 year warranty. I am not sure the ones from B&H, but I think NokiaUSA recorded all the IMEI which sold in USA even they are RM-938 targeted for Latin America. Don't know it this help you out.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My 1520.3 from newegg.com failed to boot last week. Bought back on July 15. I contacted nokia warranty department, they asked me to put in my 1520.3's IMEI to their website to check if it is warranted. I read to him and he checked from his computer and said yes, it is warranted for 1 year. So I know for sure any 1520.3 from newegg.com gets NokiaUSA 1 year warranty. I am not sure the ones from B&H, but I think NokiaUSA recorded all the IMEI which sold in USA even they are RM-938 targeted for Latin America. Don't know it this help you out.
The Nokia warranty check site says they are eligible for warranty repairs in the US. BUT that is in error according to Nokia US. Others have posted in these forums that they used the IMEI check site and even though it told them their phone was covered, the phone was returned unrepaired with the same letter as shown in post #3 and #9. When they talked to Nokia US, they were told it was a bug in their system that reported the phone was covered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720