07-02-2014 11:37 AM
67 123
tools
    Me too, but I just keep the EQ on flat. And it doesn't work with bluetooth headphones anyway, and I use those the most. You get used to it :)

And 8.1 preview comes directly from M$, it's not some shady ROM that actually may break your phone. Except for some minor bugs and a reboot every now and then, everything is working as it should on my 925. The official update should be out very soon, so you might as well wait, but installing the preview will not void your warranty. If you do go for the preview, I recommend factory resetting the phone after the update, it's much faster after that.

You're right about lagdroids :D Though everyone is telling me 'you can't compare Nexus 7 2012 to 925' but then why is my 925 (1 year old model based on 2 year old hardware) running much smoother than just 6 months older Nexus 7? No matter what you do on WP, pressing start will open Start and you can call someone from there in matter of seconds. On Nexus 7 I wait even 10 seconds just to open the homescreen, which is not even complicated (just one page with only 1 widget and 12 icons really).
    I guess the newest androids are better, I haven't tried any yet, but I don't think android phone that costs the same as my 925 did would be this fast.

M8, G2, N5 are all very fast and no lags, the G3 will be very good with rumors of an 805 version that will be beast. if you wait it out the Note 4 will have the 805 and 4gig of ram. The launcher is what makes the Sammies lag.

I have a 1520 running 8.1 and it has been perfect from day one on 8.1 but here in the last week has become a laggy turd and has locked up like a bad cramp 4 times just today.
    07-01-2014 04:07 PM
    Change the launcher on the s5, no more lag
    They were both running Apex launcher.
    07-01-2014 04:45 PM
    They were both running Apex launcher.
    I'd say bad z2 then and a really bad s5 because 9 times out of 10 a launcher fixes galaxy lag, im surprised the z2 lags at all. My note 3, n5 and g2 never had lag stock but then again none of my androids stay stock for more then a day lol.
    the s5 has way too much going on for 2gig of ram to deal with, that and the 801 isnt all its cracked up to be, my G2's tweaked 800 puts a beat down on it, and my note3 running all of its features plus all of the s5 features minus fingerprint scanner has no problem keeping up and never lags.

Android has its software issues yes but can be fixed within minutes unlike Microsoft and Apple.
    07-01-2014 05:48 PM
    Remember, Android was this way when it first came out. I remember my first Android 1.5 Cupcake. I said the same thing.

I know Microsoft is a little late to the game but you must crawl before you can walk.

I also get a little frustrated with the lack of apps and phone features missing but I remind myself of the Laggyness of Android and I stay with my Windows phone.

Jim
    07-01-2014 10:04 PM
    Change the launcher on the s5, no more lag
    What's the point of changing a launcher when you are getting a branded phone in the first place and cannot enjoy the out-of-the-box experience? Why do we need to do such thing on Android? I don't see or hear iPhone user having the need to change anything and their phone is silky smooth, as well as Windows Phones. On Android, things start to lag over time. Even changing the launcher can't help because the core is already in a huge mess and bloated.

Even the upcoming Android L is crazy with all the bold colors. Every UI you go into will have different colors - calendars, settings, calculator, etc etc. Why the need for different colors with different apps??? Where is the consistency?? And Android is trying to catch up with iOS for the animations. Good luck with lower end phones coz the animations will kill the battery and processor.
    nirraj likes this.
    07-01-2014 10:06 PM
    What's the point of changing a launcher when you are getting a branded phone in the first place and cannot enjoy the out-of-the-box experience? Why do we need to do such thing on Android? I don't see or hear iPhone user having the need to change anything and their phone is silky smooth, as well as Windows Phones. On Android, things start to lag over time. Even changing the launcher can't help because the core is already in a huge mess and bloated.

Even the upcoming Android L is crazy with all the bold colors. Every UI you go into will have different colors - calendars, settings, calculator, etc etc. Why the need for different colors with different apps??? Where is the consistency?? And Android is trying to catch up with iOS for the animations. Good luck with lower end phones coz the animations will kill the battery and processor.
    None of my OTB Android phones have lagged ever, now my 1520, that has turned into a lagging pile of 💩.

Catch up with IOS for animations?......Da ****?? Have you ever used a G2?? IOS is stagnant and has been for years.

As for Microsoft new to mobile os, umm windows mobile was out before IOS even got started.
    07-01-2014 11:08 PM
    if you wait it out the Note 4 will have the 805 and 4gig of ram. .
    I dont know if you have noticed.. Note 1 had 1gb of ram, Note 2 had 2, note 3 has 3 and now note 4 will have 4GB of RAM. Even these companies know that android lags in long run and they need to kick in extra gigs to catch up with the requirement. Where iOS and WS have been running seamlessly even on 512mb of ram. Doesn't that tells you the story for Lag-Droids. They always needs more power to work and that results in performance issues over time.
    07-02-2014 12:15 AM
    I dont know if you have noticed.. Note 1 had 1gb of ram, Note 2 had 2, note 3 has 3 and now note 4 will have 4GB of RAM. Even these companies know that android lags in long run and they need to kick in extra gigs to catch up with the requirement. Where iOS and WS have been running seamlessly even on 512mb of ram. Doesn't that tells you the story for Lag-Droids. They always needs more power to work and that results in performance issues over time.
    Not completely true. Have a look at Nexus devices. Stock android is still stable. I will blame Samsung's own TouchWIZ UI.
    palandri likes this.
    07-02-2014 12:20 AM
    I spoke to a guy from Nokia repair centre and asked him and he said that if a service tech said that 8.1 voided the warranty then it was one of two things, either he doesn't know what he is talking about or he is lying. He said that if a phone came in for repair then it would be flashed back to 8.0 only because they can't flash it with 8.1

Also asked my friend who works for a well know phone shop/provider in the UK and he said the same.
    I read about the warranty here.. and it says that "It may void your warranty"
    Developer Preview Program FAQ - Get Windows Phone 8.1 today - Microsoft Community

and Here

https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/develop/devpreview
    07-02-2014 12:22 AM
    Not completely true. Have a look at Nexus devices. Stock android is still stable. I will blame Samsung's own TouchWIZ UI.
    Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android? | Enterprise | Real World Computing | PC Pro
    07-02-2014 12:32 AM
    umm my point was the launcher and features given by Samsung itself ruins the device.
    palandri and Guytronic like this.
    07-02-2014 12:38 AM
    I would read that again because the one thing it doesn't say is that it will void your warranty.
    07-02-2014 04:31 AM
    I would read that again because the one thing it doesn't say is that it will void your warranty.
    This is what I read there...And I insist on the word "May"

In First Link

Will the Developer Preview void my warranty?
    You may void any warranty of your mobile operator and OEM.

In second Link:

Important notes
    There are a few key items that you must understand before you update your phone:

After you install a preview update, you may void any warranty from your mobile operator and OEM.
    07-02-2014 05:02 AM
    None of my OTB Android phones have lagged ever, now my 1520, that has turned into a lagging pile of .

Catch up with IOS for animations?......Da ****?? Have you ever used a G2?? IOS is stagnant and has been for years.

As for Microsoft new to mobile os, umm windows mobile was out before IOS even got started.
    Installed Wp8.1 DP I suppose? My 1520 is still going strong with WP8. Sad to hear that you have such a bad experience. I suggest Android will be a better platform for you.

G2? We are not talking about OEM skins or roms. Is the stock Android which is more interesting than the pieces of craps from different OEMs. G2 UI is freaking messy and confusing, just as Samsung TouchWiz. I will take HTC Sense 6 anytime if I really have to use an Android phone. Look at Android L with all the material designs, and different bold colors on different apps happening everywhere... I see no consistence at all. Trying to mimic animated on / off switches like Windows Phone? iOS released with transparent pull down notification shade and Android L now is also acting the same? Now who is catching up with who, you tell me....
    07-02-2014 05:48 AM
    Been on 8.1 sense it dropped without issue except for the touch issue, phone has been smooth as butter till the last 2 weeks and has been going down hill fast. Did another factory reset without loading backup and it helped for a few days now its back to being a turd.

IE locks up, the camera is slow very slow to open, the music app is well we all know......nokia mix is laggy and slow, my notification pull down hangs and lags, SMS freezes at times as well all within the last 2 weeks. Like I said I've gone months on 8.1 without issue and a full factory reset only helps for a few days.
    I used to praise this phone now it does nothing to **** me off daily add to that Microsoft's unwilling to listen to there core users (Xbox music) and the fact that Microsoft would rather waist there resources putting out apps for there competitors (Bing weather, can we get transparent tiles already?) too when they do put out an update for an app its half baked or taking away features.

Windows phone could be bad *** but Microsoft doesn't have it in them to take it to that level.

If you find Android confusing then apple and windows phone is probably better suited for you.
    07-02-2014 09:16 AM
    My friends that have iPhones get a good chuckle when they ask me about my 1520.

Not because of the phone itself,but because of Microsoft's way of minimizing their failures with it's os.

This phone has so much potential,but what it doesn't have is parent company that truly understands all of it's user base,nor those who who would like to use it.

Cloud first for everything is somebody's wet dream that may seem great at the moment,but upon waking means you have to deal with the consequences of reality
    07-02-2014 10:24 AM
    Installed Wp8.1 DP I suppose?
    Now who is catching up with who, you tell me....
    Android first with the drop down notification, apple followed, Android first with QHD, apple still using outdated retina technology, Android offers way more options or "consumer content" then apple does so yes who's chasing who??
    07-02-2014 11:37 AM
67 123