[UK] How is the Lumia 1520 selling for massive amounts cheaper at certain retailers?

Ashley DaviesL

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking to buy a Lumia 1520 since I thought it was an amazing deal at only ?300-?350, then I realised the RRP and the general UK price is closer to ?450-?550.

I'm a bit concerned that these might be some dodgy outdated model or lacking features or something, but I can't find enough reliable information to judge that, and the reviews all seem pretty stellar apart from the odd dead on arrival one.

I get that different retailers will obviously differ slightly in pricing but this massive difference is really concerning me and I'll feel disappointed if I buy it and it turns out to be not what I expected, hence I'm asking you guys since I'm hoping someone will be able to figure out why this price gap exists, since it totally deludes me. I'm sorry if it's obvious or if I'm missing something. They don't seem to mention the Qi charging but I'd be willing to sacrifice that if it's the only thing that differs.

Some examples:
Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-937 6" Full HD 32GB 20MP (Unlocked) Smartphone - Yellow | eBay
Nokia Lumia 1520 4G LTE | MobiCity UK
Mobile Phones MP3iPodMobiles - Nokia Lumia 1520 32GB (Yellow) LTE SIM Free / Unlocked

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
These cheap 1520s are usually imported models. The main implication is that you wouldn't have any warranty with Nokia UK. The rom will also be from wherever the phone was sourced which may effect when you get updates.

The yellow model was never released in the UK, so any yellow 1520s are definately imported models. In my opinioin, any retailer selling the yellow 1520 is likely to have imported all 1520s that they are selling in all colours.

To summarise, if you don't care about the nokia warranty then it's worth considering. If you want a nokia warranty, avoid these cheaper imported models.

Last edited:

Ashley DaviesL

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the summary; nice to know why the price is different definitively :)

A couple of last queries if you know:
Would they be guaranteed to have Qi charging? (Generally, are the specs the same?)
They'll still work with my contract SIM (Virgin Media) providing the bands match, right?
Would I still be able to get it repaired at a Nokia care shop? (Obviously paying the price since no warranty would be present)
Would there be any problem flashing it with a British ROM or is that likely to land me in a problem with compatibility issues? Is that inadvisable even if possible? (I'd guess a different sourced ROM wouldn't make it that much different, right? If I changed all the language and map packs?)
Thanks again!

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you slysy for the info.

I've often wondered about those price differences. I'm not implying that the companies concerned are doing anything underhand but I do prefer to buy from high street stores even if the prices are higher. No postal delays, and much easier to return your device if you get a problem.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Westarmy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Amazon have them for ?350, I would state that I received one and yes it doesn't have a warranty but the seller has given their own warranty. I would suggest looking at European countries as they have no import tax on them as UK is within the EU and because of that you'd get a standard 2 year warranty from Nokia.

However mine is a UK model, but just imported directly from China (perhaps direct from factory)

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

Would they be guaranteed to have Qi charging? (Generally, are the specs the same?)
They'll still work with my contract SIM (Virgin Media) providing the bands match, right?
Would I still be able to get it repaired at a Nokia care shop? (Obviously paying the price since no warranty would be present)
Would there be any problem flashing it with a British ROM or is that likely to land me in a problem with compatibility issues? Is that inadvisable even if possible? (I'd guess a different sourced ROM wouldn't make it that much different, right? If I changed all the language and map packs?)
Thanks again!

Wireless Charging - I think all 1520s do except the US AT&T model. Should be OK here.

Working with you VM sim - Believe it will work (as long as the phone isn't listed as simlocked). Not 100% definite but would be surprised if it didn't work.

Nokia care paid repairs - Not sure, could try calling and asking

ROM Differences - Shouldn't be much difference once configured. No idea about flashing the rom, maybe someone else can comment

jlunardi

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I purchased a 1520 from Amazon for around ?350 it was from a different company but fulfilled by Amazon. I was a little disappointed at first as it was imported from Hong Kong so it had couple of Asian apps (could easily be un-installed) and its default language was Chinese(?) again easily changed, and it had no Warranty with Nokia (guess most disappointing part).

However other than that it was perfect and I've been using it with the dev preview ever since. Earlier this week I did a bit of research on XDA Developers and flashed the UK unbranded ROM onto it with out issue. So now its a UK model with out a Nokia Warranty.

I could have retuned mine to Amazon but decided to keep it and I'm glad I did.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I purchased a 1520 from Amazon for around ?350 it was from a different company but fulfilled by Amazon. I was a little disappointed at first as it was imported from Hong Kong so it had couple of Asian apps (could easily be un-installed) and its default language was Chinese(?) again easily changed, and it had no Warranty with Nokia (guess most disappointing part).

However other than that it was perfect and I've been using it with the dev preview ever since. Earlier this week I did a bit of research on XDA Developers and flashed the UK unbranded ROM onto it with out issue. So now its a UK model with out a Nokia Warranty.

I could have retuned mine to Amazon but decided to keep it and I'm glad I did.

I had same as this guy, I changed my rom to English one, the main phone is encoded Chinese, I just have .co.uk on keyboard and removed tapatalk and Chinese apps!

misterphipps

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Bit of a thread hijack, I know...

I bought a yellow 1520 from ebay, manufacturer name RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 and a mobile operator 000-HK

I've never had a problem with it, although didn't know it wouldn't have a warrantee. It works fine running 8.1 developers preview and it's a thing of beauty. I saw someone else using a yellow one the other day, and almost ran after her so we could be Phone Buddies.

Didn't though. As that would be weird.

Anyway - I'd never considered flashing it with a UK ROM. What's the difference? What changes have people found and is there any advantages in doing this?

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

Thanks again!

The price is different because in some countries the device (wholesale price) is sold at remarkably lower prices. This has three main reasons: A) Some countries have much lower taxes than Europe/US. This allows for much cheaper prices; B) They sell it at a lower price (wholesale) because in some countries WP is hard to sell, so their devices sell at considerably lower prices; C) If you buy a huge quantity of already cheap devices you get even cheaper prices.

jlunardi

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I'd never considered flashing it with a UK ROM. What's the difference? What changes have people found and is there any advantages in doing this?

To be honest not to much... if you where to do a phone reset then with UK ROM it would mean its already defaulted to UK settings rather than you needing to change them. It wont have the 1 or 2 (cant remember) Chinese apps. There maybe some other differences but I haven't spotted them. I did notice in Windows 8 it had ".co.uk" on the keyboard but this changed to ".com" when I installed the Dev Preview anyway.

I think the main difference might be when they release Cyan(? the new firmware...) for the UK then I should get it in that release wave where you will get it in the HK release wave. The thing being at the moment we don't know which order they will be done in.

HomeyJay

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Come on guys, you should know better!
Flashing an "unbranded UK rom makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE to the warranty status from Nokia UK. When you call them with a problem, they ask you for the IMEI number on the box and in the sim tray. They then check that against UK /EU numbers and if it corresponds, you get a 2 year warranty. If it doesn't, you get jack *hit. It's that simple. Take it from me, I learnt the hard way and it cost me ?350.
You are not safe even buying from Amazon unless the phone was actually sold by Amazon and not one of its 3rd party marketplace sellers. If Nokia denies you a warranty, you have to go back to these guys and they (or you) will then have to send the phone back to Hong Kong or Malaysia, which is where 90% of these imports come from. That will take up to a 4/6weeks.
Personally, I think Nokia UK's warranty policy sucks - if it's a genuine Nokia, they should just honour the warranty, no matter where the product comes from..
If you doubt what I say, just call Nokia Customer services before you part with any money and let them tell you the exact same thing.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Come on guys, you should know better!
Flashing an "unbranded UK rom makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE to the warranty status from Nokia UK. When you call them with a problem, they ask you for the IMEI number on the box and in the sim tray. They then check that against UK /EU numbers and if it corresponds, you get a 2 year warranty. If it doesn't, you get jack *hit. It's that simple. Take it from me, I learnt the hard way and it cost me ?350.
You are not safe even buying from Amazon unless the phone was actually sold by Amazon and not one of its 3rd party marketplace sellers. If Nokia denies you a warranty, you have to go back to these guys and they (or you) will then have to send the phone back to Hong Kong or Malaysia, which is where 90% of these imports come from. That will take up to a 4/6weeks.
Personally, I think Nokia UK's warranty policy sucks - if it's a genuine Nokia, they should just honour the warranty, no matter where the product comes from..
If you doubt what I say, just call Nokia Customer services before you part with any money and let them tell you the exact same thing.
I had a hong kong model Lumia and got it changed to an EU CV-GB model by Nokia when it broke (along with a new warranty). The right amount of grovelling would do that for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa