Lumia 1520 and Memory Cards

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a higher capacity memory card. Then I remembered the classes. Class-6 and Class-10. What is it about? Which one should I get?

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
You should get a Class-10 card, but not all Class-10 cards are created equal.

If you are planning to take advantage of WP 8.1 to install Apps on memory card, then you should get a fast card from a reliable brand. The price of fast 64GB cards have been dropping lately, maybe due to the emergence of 128GB cards. Price differences are not much.

You could consider:
- SanDisk Extreme (Plus) microSDXC UHS-I 80MB/s 64GB (One the best high speed cards that have been in the marked for a good while, with proven record for speed and reliability)

- Samsung Pro microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I 90/80MB/s 64GB ( a new good card with slightly higher speed and lower price)

Alternatively you could consider these too
Samsung Pro microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I 64GB (very cheap card with 70/20MB/s speed. Samsung have just replaced this card with the other one, and that seams to the reason for it's low price).

- Sony microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I 95MB/s 64GB (still keeping a high price, maybe due to being the fastest in the marked. But the speed is only slightly higher, it won't matter much, if any, in practice.).

Last edited:

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Also beware of decent ones being sold at ridiculously low prices - things may not what they appear to be. Some may look and say what they are but when you try using it, it will fail (eg a card is being sold as 16GB really cheap, when you try to copy something large (let's say a 3GB file), it will fail because the card is in fact a 1GB card or even less.

teranceo

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
As others have said get one that has really good write speeds. I purchased an ADATA Premier 64GB MicroSDXC and it can't keep up when recording video so it will drop frames. I finally just had to switch back to saving videos to the phone.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Also beware of decent ones being sold at ridiculously low prices - things may not what they appear to be. Some may look and say what they are but when you try using it, it will fail (eg a card is being sold as 16GB really cheap, when you try to copy something large (let's say a 3GB file), it will fail because the card is in fact a 1GB card or even less.

Not always the case. I got a cheap Transcend 64 GB from mymemory.co.uk. I know this site and trust it fully. It has a fantastic review score of 9.4 out of 1981 trustpilot reviews. Though this is a UK retailer they do ship to a lot of countries for a very small fee. (NOT the United States)

You want to be really careful when buying Samsung's SD cards. There are a LOT of fake Samsungs circulating Amazon right now.

Transcend 64GB U3 UHS-1 SDXC Card - 95MB/s ?26.96 - Free Delivery

That's like getting a 95 MB/s 64GB card for $45. It's around $49 on the American version of Amazon. Great card. Works well with this phone, highly recommend. Sandisk is WAY overpriced for what it is.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I got a 64GB 48MB/s UHS-I Class10 Samsung Evo microSDXC for $45 from Amazon. Designed for smartphones. So far, no problems with 1080p videos.

WP_20140626_17_40_03_Pro [1600x1200].jpg

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
This guy on ebay,but in China ...has 128GB microsd card for 30.00 bucks I took the bait and bought 2...
Now I just have to wait to get them..Ebay has protection on purchases so no worry here..
-NEW- SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I Class 10

Check the link Sandisk sd

Good luck with your purchase.
Personally I wouldn't trust leaving 100GB worth of data on something that looks too good to be true.
I found some $20 64GB ones but stayed away from it.
Keep us posted.

Cheers!

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This guy on ebay,but in China ...has 128GB microsd card for 30.00 bucks I took the bait and bought 2...
Now I just have to wait to get them..Ebay has protection on purchases so no worry here..
-NEW- SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I Class 10

Check the link Sandisk sd

Look at the only feedback about the card

Order refunded, great seller. Thank you! z***0 Jul-05-14 19:00
-NEW- SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I Class 10 (SDSDQUA-128G-G46A) micro SD (#131234024239) US $29.99

Looks like you will be refunded at least. I paid $120 for mine on Amazon. No way will the price drop that far. It will be funny to know that a package going back to China cost more than it coming here. Don't forget to test it. There are free apps that will test and tell you the correct size. I tested the one on Amazon, took about an hour, so give it time. And be prepared to return it. Like momma always said "If it looks too good to be true, it's probably isn't"

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Classes refer to what the minimum speed for the SD card is.

If it's a Class 6 the minimum speed will be 6 MBps, and if it is a Class 10 the minimum will be 10 MBps speed.

Though you won't notice a huge difference I would recommend opting for a Class 10 or above.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Classes refer to what the minimum speed for the SD card is.

If it's a Class 6 the minimum speed will be 6 MBps, and if it is a Class 10 the minimum will be 10 MBps speed.

Though you won't notice a huge difference I would recommend opting for a Class 10 or above.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

The speed only matters a lot if you are capturing HD video from your smartphone. If your card cannot write fast enough to record 1080p videos which are large files, all you will get are write errors and recording will stop and your device will freeze.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I got a 64GB 48MB/s UHS-I Class10 Samsung Evo microSDXC for $45 from Amazon. Designed for smartphones. So far, no problems with 1080p videos.

View attachment 71078

This seams to be very good card for boosting App performance.

People are reporting very high IOPs for this card, as good as SanDisk Extreme Pro (which is very expensive and only available up to 32Gb for now). Many are reporting a very high 4k random read/write speed too. These factors plays a much bigger role than nominal read/write speed ( sequential read/write) for boosting App performance on a card.
The price is reasonable too. I'm considering to get one of these.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes