Help - 1520 From China

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, I am China for the next several months and bought a new 1520. I love it! When I set it up with my Chinese sim I selected my country as Canada and language English. My app store appears to be the Canadian one and I was able to download Facebook however noticed the option to add a Facebook account was missing from the People Hub or Accounts Setup.

I know China bans FB and the firmware most likely removed this. However, when I eventually return to Canada I should be able to load American firmware on the phone to bring these settings back right?

I am on Telus. Thanks in advance for confirming :)

jlunardi

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Actually assuming its a RM-937 there wont be a US or Canada firmware I don't think, and I'm not sure you can load on firmware from say a RM-940 (which is the US model). So you should either use the global one or then maybe a UK one. The codes can be found in this thread: [Thread closed] [GDR3] Nokia Lumia 1520 Product Code & Product Type - xda-developers

•059T960 RM-937 GLOBAL BLACK SWAP
•059T962 RM-937 GLOBAL RED SWAP
•059T959 RM-937 GLOBAL WHITE SWAP
•059T961 RM-937 GLOBAL YELLOW SWAP

or

•059V337 RM-937 VAR EURO GB CV BLACK
•059V4K1 RM-937 VAR EURO GB CV RED
•059V333 RM-937 VAR EURO GB CV WHITE
•059V051 RM-937 VAR EURO GB CV YELLOW

Read through the link in my first reply and it will become clear how to use / download these.

Cheers

D2G9

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm using a HK rm-937 on Rogers here in Canada... and I'm running Facebook with no issues at all (including the beta version). My region settings are Canada / English. Using the original ROM.

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The HK versions do not block FB like the others. Example, I went to a HK hotel and had full FB access but here in Shanghai no.

Just wanted to make sure I can flash firmware that will give me the option to add a FB account under the setup an account options in the people hub.

To confirm, flashing new firmware such as global will give me that? As of now FB is not in the list.

Thanks for the links! :)

fengjch

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yep, you can flash a HK rom to get Facebook in account setting, however,due to the effort made by Chinese gov , you still can't access it inside China mainland . And seems that hongkong firmware can also unlock lte

soul347

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a RM937 here in canada and facebook can be linked no problem. I doubt you'll have to flash a new rom in order to get facebook access. Have you tried to add facebook through your "email+account" settings in the settings menu rather than doing it through people hub?

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Facebook is not an available option. The Chinese version does not include it under email and accounts. FB app works no problem when connected to an non Chinese IP. Looks like I will need to flash new rom to get FB showing under email and accounts

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
don't even worry about it.. once WP8.1 hits the option to add Facebook under accounts disappear for everyone. on 8.1 you can "link" the Facebook app to People hub and all feeds and contacts will show up.

BlueSky2008

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have question for ROM China. Nokia developes app "Block SMS and Call". Can Anyone confirm this app allow block sms or call based on "Keyword"?
I try many ROM but this app only support block based on phone number

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have question for ROM China. Nokia developes app "Block SMS and Call". Can Anyone confirm this app allow block sms or call based on "Keyword"?
I try many ROM but this app only support block based on phone number

AFAIK, it is only possible to block calls/SMS based upon phone numbers, no matter what ROM is used on the device.

BlueSky2008

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I used check description of "call+SMS filter" and at that time it mention but now I recheck description then they remove that feature.
Thanks

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK, it is only possible to block calls/SMS based upon phone numbers, no matter what ROM is used on the device.

In china a mobile phone gets anywhere from 5-30 spam messages per day. and it's true that the special sms filter for the Chinese market has keyword filters. a few years back my cousin was going into university, at that time his mom was getting like 20 spam text per day regarding "helping your kid to university"...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12