Lumia 1520 Camera Lens Cover Peeling/Breaking? Gorilla Glass?

fishyuk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Weird thing happening to my 1520 lens, it looks like part of the coating has broken off. Is the gorilla glass 2 protection on top of it a circular adhesive disc (and very thin to boot)?

One would almost think it is a plastic coating barring it is solidly attached and too clear. There are also some hairline scratches but I know Gorilla Glass 2 does suffer from that.

Its a bit perplexing as the 1520 has spent a good amount of time in a flip case or as I use it as my work phone its been in a suit pocket with no other items and there isn't any noticeable scratching on the display or the device itself.

I'll try and get a photo up, but my 1020 is already in for warranty repair as the lens shutter(and or OIS rattle) had suddenly got a LOT worse. I guess things come in twos :shocked: .

Cheers, Alex

fishyuk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing, just don't see how it can be on the 1520 and it is a really weird pattern and there are no dents or scratches of any note anywhere on the 1520 itself. Will load a photo when have my 1020 back.

The 1020 could be environmental though only think I can think of is that I've used it a lot in a car mount for Sat-Nav.

​OIS/Shutter does have some rattle in any 1020 but this got a lot worse (to the point where walking and talking on it you could hear the shake of the OIS/Shutter to an annoying level and in the car a very pronounced rattle). Could be that the vibrations from being in a car mount (Brodit fixed to dash) combined with crappy UK roads sped up the deterioration in the shutter. I've swapped the mount now to use the 1520 in the car to avoid this possibility again on the 1020.

pw38

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Mine did the same thing and cracked to the point where the cover is in pieces. It's fully broken. I haven't taken all the pieces out yet because I don't want to damage the camera lens but suffice it to say I don't use the camera anymore. Is this fixable under warranty or am I screwed?

yoitsbenvo

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
@pw38
I ordered a back camera glass from Ebay for $5.99 got it within a week or so. I carefully took a razor blade box cutter, and a tweezer and removed it carefully without damaging the camera. There's adhesive take under the glass. Just cleaned it out, made sure no pieces are left, and I just popped in the new glass. Like new :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)