Lumia 1520 after one week. Mostly good!

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a Lumia 1520 (RM938 version from B&H last week. I am on Tmobile and live in San Diego (for reference).
1. I have upgraded to the dev preview 8.1 and the experience could not have been better. Everything works very well and no issues at all. probably the only difference that might be my perception is my overall volume, (speaker phone , headphone is lower). It was extremely high before, which I liked.

2. No screen problems are lag of any sort. Quite fast I might add.

3. Cortana is fantastic! I had Siri and Google now, which i think are both great. I was happy with those but Cortana seems to work and respond better.

4. The Still camera so far in adequate light is awesome. Have not had the chance to try night or low light.

5.The Nokia music app as well as Extreme music works great for me. I tend to have my music stored on my device. I was able to use many playlist that I already had created in Windows Media player. Worked like a charm.

6. The Video camera? Let me admit that I make my living in video production for over 25 years. I own some really expensive equipment. My hobby is filming bands, mostly blues bands. And I wanted a phone that would allow me to film without bringing out the big equipment. Well as it turns out I have never had a phone that could record audio so well. I mean the audio straight out of the 1520 camera is fantastic in it's clarity as well as level. I'm truly amazed!!!
I wish I could say the same for the video. And I'm by know means saying it's bad and I do need to experiment more. But it didn't move me like the audio did. It seems to have a weird look to it that I just can't put my finger on. But not bad by any means, I just expected more.
Maybe you guys can offer some explanation for the video?

But having come from iphone and high end Androids I would say that the OS of this phone is the most suitable experience I have ever had. meaning that Android and Iphone are great but Windows OS suits me better. That's clearly a personal assessment.

I used a Lumia 521 for 2 weeks before I bought the 1520 and I was amazed that a $69 phone could operate so well.

I will admit I have a Ipad Air retina tablet. I also have a Samsung galaxy Tab 3 8.0, my favorite. But as far as a phone that I just turn on and it feels right , it's Windows. I loved the customizing you could do with Android. I can't tell you the countless hours I would waste each day changing the look of my device for no apparent reason. To the point I was bored to tears with the process. It made no sense.
I also quickly became bored with the take it or leave it approach of Apple as well.
That said I could easily live with a Android or Apple device. The are both great products.

Anyway here is a video from yesterday. Like I said I could not be happier with the untouched audio. But the video.........you tell me?

cvflowe

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Video, excellent! I live in Carlsbad area. Where are you guys performing again?

P.S. Glad you like the phone, I've had mine over 2 weeks and thinking about downloading the developers copy. I'm getting restless :).
Cheers!

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I find the video on my Lumias to be not sharp as compared to those taken on my Note 3 or Nexus. I'm hoping that cyan improves this.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Ed, Thanks for taking a look. I may be more critical as I do video production for a living. But if you look at the guitar player in the foreground in the left corner he has a sort of cartoon texture to his skin. Very flat.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Just to add to this I am getting at least 25 hours out of a charge and I am a heavy user. Plenty of web surfacing and video playing. I also keep my screen on at least medium brightness.

I was wrong about the headphone level and speaker level being lower, it is still actually quite loud. The way I like it.

The 8.1 preview has been really awesome. I actually think the audio recording is the best of any phone I have ever had, Android and iPhone included.

The camera has been great too.

WP_20140706_13_49_29_Pro.jpg

bluestreak22

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
New user here. I have been using an unlocked ATT version of the 1520 on tomb. It has pretty much worked fine since the beginning. Apparently I live in a refarmed area here in the Seattle area and suburbs. I purchased a rm938 and set it up last night, and updated to 8.1 this morning, however, Cortana is nowhere to be found. I set my language, area etc to the US. It appeared the original region for the phone was Mexico, as that was the default region when I started the phone up. My first speed test on LTE was 68mbps download and 13.7 upload. Not bad I suppose. Anyone have the Cortana issue?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
New user here. I have been using an unlocked ATT version of the 1520 on tomb. It has pretty much worked fine since the beginning. Apparently I live in a refarmed area here in the Seattle area and suburbs. I purchased a rm938 and set it up last night, and updated to 8.1 this morning, however, Cortana is nowhere to be found. I set my language, area etc to the US. It appeared the original region for the phone was Mexico, as that was the default region when I started the phone up. My first speed test on LTE was 68mbps download and 13.7 upload. Not bad I suppose. Anyone have the Cortana issue?

Make sure Region is set to U.S. Make sure that U.S. English is not only set as your default in Languages, but is listed all the way at the top.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Press and hold "English (United States)" in Languages and tap "Move Up". It'll automatically prompt you to update with Cortana.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
That video was pretty good wasn't it? :) Nokia does a good job with the HAAC microphone tech. I've been testing out the Dolby 5.1 recording myself.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Well put, OP 😊
Like your title stated, I have had my 1520 for slightly more than a week. I must say that I am so glad and relieved that I upgraded my old 925 to a 1520 instead of the 930. This 1520 is a beauty IN a beast, got my drift 😉
The display quality & colors just POPS thru the 6" screen. It is simply awesome 😎

subcon959

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Maybe the guitar player just moisturises a lot :grin:

I see what you mean though, that's an odd effect. I don't really do much video but I have noticed a weird effect with photos where the sides look stretched sometimes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss