Gone Back to Black

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi All

Just flashed back to Lumia Black from 8.1 Developer because I must say.. I wasnt impressed at all. Now I do realise that 8.1 developer is a Beta and even though it was update 2, but for me I found the screen was even more sensetive at just selecting tiles and apps, menus would jump all over the place, not scroll..probably due to screen sensitivy issue. The text in Notifications area was very small.. Battery %, date in the corner, time (not sure if this can be adjusted through Ease of Access) and overall buggy and laggy, battery life was slightly less and I just dont like the look of it.. the Notifications centre reminds me a little of Android. So Ive decided to hold on for the full Lumia Cyan update which is only 1 week away anyway.

I do think 8.1 has some nice features and it is definitely a leap forward, but without the Cyan firmware overhaul.. I found too many issues with my 1520, so i re-flashed Black.

Did anyone else go back to Black, are you not enjoying 8.1 on your 1520?

What do you think

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine has more bugs than a crack house in July, but I'm muddling through.

God help me when I have to restart the phone because it will restart itself 10+ times, over and over again.
And I can't use the wifi now as it causes the phone to restart, then see above.
And I can't pin Cortana to the screen because it caused the phone to wake in my pocket, or get blazing hot, or launch the camera randomly, or cause the phone to restart, then see above.
And sometimes the phone just seems to run completely out of memory, lock up, then restart, and again, see above.

I've grown quite fond of, and have developed too much muscle memory, with 8.1 but I'm hoping Cyan fixes all of this, though somehow I feel I'm kind of doomed this time. This is the first update that I've EVER had an issue with since I've been on WP with my 920.

CruSherFL

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
My WP8.1 Dev works almost fine. I only have problems with battery lifetime and once every 3 weeks it get stucks in some blackscreen loading screen.
@TripsG: I always thought I had triggered the camera button.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

God help me when I have to restart the phone because it will restart itself 10+ times, over and over again.
And I can't pin Cortana to the screen because it caused the phone to wake in my pocket, or get blazing hot, or launch the camera randomly, or cause the phone to restart, then see above.
And sometimes the phone just seems to run completely out of memory, lock up, then restart, and again, see above.

I've grown quite fond of, and have developed too much muscle memory, with 8.1 but I'm hoping Cyan fixes all of this, though somehow I feel I'm kind of doomed this time. This is the first update that I've EVER had an issue with since I've been on WP with my 920.

Wow, sorry to hear that friend, and I thought I had issues. Sounds like your 1520 is faulty. Maybe this will help you:

[How To] Unbrand (flash) all Nokia Windows Phone 8 [XDA News] - xda-developers

My issues are mainly just software apart from the issue which most are having.. the screen issue, but now that Im with Lumia Black again.. Im loving my 1520 all over again.. it just feels like with 8.1, we are creeping closer and closer to Android. My love of WP8 is its simplicity and ease of use, however things like.. seperate volume controls, built-in battery percentage, and better lock screen notifications and shortcuts, being able to call or text from anywhere within people and sms hub.. are a must which shouldve been there since the beginning.

But IMO the Store and the way WP apps update, the Menus, the tile are all fine. Putting a picture behind the Tiles on homescreen is, to me, a gimick.. it just seems more complicated.. maybe its me being put off by all the bugs ive just experienced, but it just seems more complicated.

What are your opinions on this for the 1520?

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
My WP8.1 Dev works almost fine. I only have problems with battery lifetime and once every 3 weeks it get stucks in some blackscreen loading screen.

I think your one of the lucky ones then, makes me feel better to read people actually liking it :), maybe Cyan might be better. I must admit Ive never had that issue, I wonder if it varies from model to model.. Im in UK so I have an international/EU unbranded Black 1520

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow, sorry to hear that friend, and I thought I had issues. Sounds like your 1520 is faulty. Maybe this will help you:

[How To] Unbrand (flash) all Nokia Windows Phone 8 [XDA News] - xda-developers

My issues are mainly just software apart from the issue which most are having.. the screen issue, but now that Im with Lumia Black again.. Im loving my 1520 all over again.. it just feels like with 8.1, we are creeping closer and closer to Android. My love of WP8 is its simplicity and ease of use, however things like.. seperate volume controls, built-in battery percentage, and better lock screen notifications and shortcuts, being able to call or text from anywhere within people and sms hub.. are a must which shouldve been there since the beginning.

But IMO the Store and the way WP apps update, the Menus, the tile are all fine. Putting a picture behind the Tiles on homescreen is, to me, a gimick.. it just seems more complicated.. maybe its me being put off by all the bugs ive just experienced, but it just seems more complicated.

What are your opinions on this for the 1520?

When my phone is working fine, it works amazingly well and I'm very happy with all of the added bells and whistles. I want more from Cortana than it can provide now due to the "pinning" issue, and I'm fine with the new screen updates. I like options but I'm also old so I don't have a need for a lot of these things. I like glance a lot and, when it's working, is quite useful (yes, that should be on my list as a current bug, it works sometimes, not all times).

I am getting closer and closer to wanting to just return the phone and get a warranty replacement as I don't believe my issues are solely related to the new software, but the phone worked perfectly up until that update, so it is related somehow, just not sure where.

Mostly I'm not sure if I can just go back to the MS store where I bought it for replacement or if I have to go to this specific ATT store that only deals with warranty/repairs in my area.

Otherwise, I'm quite happy, not complaining (just noting), and am all in with MS and WP.

But if my phone reboots one more time...:)

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why folks are rushing to judgment over a developer preview version of 8.1. I prefer to wait until I can actually download the official release before I decide what I like and don't like about it.
Posted from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I have had to turn off my camera launch button because it kept launching in my pocket. I also believe I have an issue with my proximity sensor as the screen doesn't go dark when I'm on a phone call and put it to my ear. I also have had a Skype text or other notification turn on my screen in my pocket causing the phone to do all kinds of things while still in my pocket (such as rearrange my screen, unpin things, make calls, etc). A real pain in the tukhus, frankly.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

I really believe you have a bad phone or the update went horribly wrong. I have 3 521's, a 920, and a 1520 all running 8.1 DP and the biggest issue they have is occasionally some process gets stuck, they warm up and drain the battery until I reboot. I also found unlocking it and loading facebook will unstick the process so I kinda think the issue is with FB and not 8.1.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I really believe you have a bad phone or the update went horribly wrong. I have 3 521's, a 920, and a 1520 all running 8.1 DP and the biggest issue they have is occasionally some process gets stuck, they warm up and drain the battery until I reboot. I also found unlocking it and loading facebook will unstick the process so I kinda think the issue is with FB and not 8.1.

I agree, and note, I wasn't complaining, just hoping someone has dealt with these things and found a fix. My belief is it happened in the download somehow.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
After installing the Dev Preview on my Lumia 1520, there's NO WAY I'd go back. The functionality increase is night & day. I use Notification Center all the time & as far as the picture on Home screen - has gotten rave reviews from people who've seen it - a simple Blue / purple fractal (or blue green open water scene) behind my rows of tiles (square icons FWIW).
The issues mentioned have settled out, now, and my Lumia 1520 is running fine. All I'm waiting for is the official version (w Lumia Cyan) followed by WP 8.1 Dev Preview of GDR1 (or update 1 - the next new thing, possibly in August) !

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why folks are rushing to judgment over a developer preview version of 8.1. I prefer to wait until I can actually download the official release before I decide what I like and don't like about it.
Posted from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk

This version of 8.1 is version 2 so apart from some minor bug fixes and changes.. this is what we're getting in Cyan.. my reasons for this thread is just to get peoples perspective on whether they like it or not.. Why not join in.. Do you like 8.1, is there anything you dont like?

After installing the Dev Preview on my Lumia 1520, there's NO WAY I'd go back. The functionality increase is night & day. I use Notification Center all the time & as far as the picture on Home screen - has gotten rave reviews from people who've seen it - a simple Blue / purple fractal (or blue green open water scene) behind my rows of tiles (square icons FWIW).
The issues mentioned have settled out, now, and my Lumia 1520 is running fine. All I'm waiting for is the official version (w Lumia Cyan) followed by WP 8.1 Dev Preview of GDR1 (or update 1 - the next new thing, possibly in August) !

Good to hear people are liking it though.. Maybe Im just getting old.. haha.. and we oldies dont like change, it just feels very clunky to me. But i do know that a new software update can take 2 or even 3 battery charge cycles and re-starts to organise itself in the rom and settle along with updates and new file structures.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear people are liking it though.. Maybe Im just getting old.. haha.. and we oldies dont like change, it just feels very clunky to me. But i do know that a new software update can take 2 or even 3 battery charge cycles and re-starts to organise itself in the rom and settle along with updates and new file structures.

YEAH, you're old ...

I'll be 60 before the next winter solstice & I embrace change !

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
YEAH, you're old ...

I'll be 60 before the next winter solstice & I embrace change !

Well im only 43, so maybe I cant play that card :).. .. but seriously, its the simplicity of WP8 that i realy like and i feel that 8.1 is moving into "too many features" territory, but its the stuttering and jumping menus that no longer scroll that frustrated me the most :)

Last edited:

Mark Wright1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
For those with the touch issue (pocket stuff )
set your sensitivity to normal - also turn off double tap to wake up should fix you issue.
pocket camera ? you obviously have a lot of stuff in pockets or very tight ones... A simple case like nilkin will recess the buttons and should stop this if you still want the quick launch..

1520? no problems at all and it has worked well ... my usage is about .5% higher but without the cyan update its a moot issue.
I still get 2days so no issue. just phone calls I got 5 days (poor reception area for data)
I think you have to overlook some quirky bits in behaviour as this is what the release is about. testing apps and feedback from people willing to participate in the preview.

So far I am very happy with 8.1.

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I was initially nervous to try the dev preview of 8.1 on my 1520 but after reading about all the changes I ended up taking the leap and have not regretted it yet. Yes I had some initial high battery drain (which has been sorted out after the recent updates and a hard reset) but the only thing I have a problem with now is the wifi reception being so poor.

Feels like an almost complete system to me.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Count me as one of the lucky no issues guys. I would never go back. There is stuff I don't need on 8.1 but that doesn't make me want to revert back. My icon is smooth as glass and after some time passed my battery is back to greatness again also. Sorry so many are having issues tho. Looking forward to cyan and any cool extras it brings. This DP is not really beta tho. What it is, is what your going to get with any official. Cyan is the only optional goody.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 causes my phone to reboot sometimes when viewing Youtube videos. Very odd. It seems to happen even more when watching 4k videos.

Other than that I can't think of other bugs. Well Whatsapp isn't given as a working choice when forwarding certain kind of data from outside the app. But I haven't had any issues that render the phone unusable. No issues with wifi. Not touch sensitivity issues. No broken core functionality. I suspect the official release along with Nokia updated firmware will help a lot of people. But I also thing there must be hardware issues out there. If your phone is still experiencing a lot of easily demonstrable issues after all the official updates I would try and exchange it under warranty. You don't want to be stuck with a phone with broken wifi. My friends iphone is like that after the last iOS major update. It is no fun.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
No real problems on my Lumia 1520 (in England) just annoyed that private messages in facebook no longer appears in normal text messages. Battery...cant say as I have always been a heavy user so it always varies to be honest. Only bug I get is watching a video when I fast forward I hear a loud hissing noise for a second. It happens after every music track. Not a deal breaker as I am sure it will get fixed. After all...thats why we are here on DP...to report it. I do t use the separate volume control myself tho. A lot of people are saying that their 1520 plays up listening to music. For instance when a notification comes through the left ear phone goes dead and other times the music comes out the speakers. Haven't had that to me and have tested that theory.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99