Screen toughness

Marko009

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm planning to buy L1520, i need a phone to replace my old iPhone 4.
As I was in great search for my next phone, I tried some, saw user opinions and known bugs on many phones. And I came to conclusion that L1520 would suit my needs the most, without making too many compromises. in fact, only few are present.
But off all the phones out there, i can not find a place to try L1520 out, and by that i mean build quality. I heard a lot about it's polycarbonate body, and screen, but would like to hear from the owners:
---Does the body creak and make sounds when you hard press it on the back?
---Does the body tend to bend in your pocket or if force applied? (I own an ipad mini and this thing is prone to bending- fell asleep and accidentally put my hand on it, and it was never perfectly flat again)
---Does the screen bend when pressing or tapping the screen? Are there any ripples in everyday use? (Again- I'm no monster, do not use great force when tapping, but was certainly disapointed with lg g2 showing ripples with mild presses- but galaxy s5 had no issues no matter how hard i pressed)
---Are there any ripples when tapping on screen when the phone lays flat on the desk? I heard that some people are experiencing artifacts in this situation.
---What about camera lens- is it scratch-resistant and does anybody have any issues with it?

Here is a picture showing screen ripple in my iPad when mildly pressed (note that it has 7,9"- so it's not a big deal, and after 3 months of usage I never experienced it in everyday use) photo (2).JPG

I would be very grateful for any answers!

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Sadly Lumia 1520 isn't the most durable device, no device is very durable as yet(except for a few Samsung Active phones and some others).

I would recommend getting a cover.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Being a Lumia 1520 user you can rest at ease my friend. No ripples, no creaking noise, solid build. Of course I have it in a case to be safe. But for scratch resistant..well...i put a cleaning cloth over my old Lumia 520 and next thing...loads of hairline scratches...thought I would live dangerously and try the same cloth on my Lumia 1520...no hairline scratches at all. I clean my phone 3 times a day too 😊

Marko009

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Sadly Lumia 1520 isn't the most durable device, no device is very durable as yet(except for a few Samsung Active phones and some others).

I would recommend getting a cover.
Yeah i know, nothing is perfect and meant for ever.. but i dont stand those phones which show wear signs on their body after few months of use (especially if i'm careful with them). My iPhone fell 3 times on concrete, but all 3 times it was in someone other's hands when it happened.
I don't need water- and dust-proof features. Just to stay in one piece and not to try to mimic LG G FLEX.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah i know, nothing is perfect and meant for ever.. but i dont stand those phones which show wear signs on their body after few months of use (especially if i'm careful with them). My iPhone fell 3 times on concrete, but all 3 times it was in someone other's hands when it happened.
I don't need water- and dust-proof features. Just to stay in one piece and not to try to mimic LG G FLEX.

Haha in my opinion G Flex was a fail.

DL Durand

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
My experience: My prior phone was a 920 and it did have some creaking after 18 months of repeated drops onto marble and concrete, but the only time it creaked was while reefing on the screen playing Angry Birds Go. Otherwise, it still is in great shape. Now, the 1520 I've had for the last month seems more solid than the 920.

I've not had any scratches on any of my Gorilla Glass screens ever, and I've never put a protector on any of them.

Marko009

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
My experience: My prior phone was a 920 and it did have some creaking after 18 months of repeated drops onto marble and concrete, but the only time it creaked was while reefing on the screen playing Angry Birds Go. Otherwise, it still is in great shape. Now, the 1520 I've had for the last month seems more solid than the 920.

I've not had any scratches on any of my Gorilla Glass screens ever, and I've never put a protector on any of them.

Thank you for your view! can you please tell me if anything like this ever occured to you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2bJH6cacSA

Marko009

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't look bad at all. Based on your requirement, it just sounded like you are extreme on mobile phones. Looks good to me. Get yourself a 1520 man. You'll like it. If that Iphone can withstand it, the 1520 could. Get a case and screen protector just the same. Good luck Marko
Thanks! I buy a phone to use it atleast for year or two... I'm a bit picky. Knowing all reviews, tracking threads of this great WP community, seing all the videos on YouTube - I came to conclusion that this phone should be my next daily driver.
But then I came to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2bJH6cacSA
Similar things happen on some LG and HTC phones I tested, and that gave me some reason to put it on hold and ask for your opinons and experiences with L1520. I'm sorry if I overcomplicated it all

opusthecat

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Well I've dropped my old iPhone 4 many times on concrete with no cover and then my Lumia 920 many times no cover and they came out fine, just a few tiny scratches on the screen. I've dropped my 1520 twice now on concrete and both times it shattered the front glass as well as the rear camera glass, it's at the Palco Nokia repair center now getting fixed. I'm not sure it's a difference in glass quality between all the phones I listed but am more convinced it's because the sheer size of glass (being larger) makes it more apt to breakage and being a larger phone is obviously a bit more unweildy to handle in your hands---which definitely increases the odds of dropping it. Ordered a case finally as I hated using cases but now it's come to that. Love my 1520 but will probably give it up for a slightly smaller phone like the 930/ICON whenever ATT gets it.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The thing is that I would highly recommend using a cover.

I used to own a Xperia S, which was Sony's flagship device in 2012. I watched some online durability tests of it and was convinced it was strong.

I dropped it several times, one flap came off, one side got chipped and the last time it fell it just completely stopped working sadly. :/

Even the phones that claim to be durable, like the Galaxy S5 Active do have their limitations and can easily stop working if dropped the wrong way.

Definitely use a cover on your 1520, covers are not always ugly. They can be really cool as well.

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I buy a phone to use it atleast for year or two... I'm a bit picky. Knowing all reviews, tracking threads of this great WP community, seing all the videos on YouTube - I came to conclusion that this phone should be my next daily driver.
But then I came to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2bJH6cacSA
Similar things happen on some LG and HTC phones I tested, and that gave me some reason to put it on hold and ask for your opinons and experiences with L1520. I'm sorry if I overcomplicated it all

This is happening to my 1520, even simply typing in my lock screen code causes distortions on the screen. Looks like it might be separating from the glass? trying to get Negri Electronics to warranty it now as I purchased a repair plan for it...

It is extremely annoying to barely tap the screen and see the light pooling. I think ill record a video and post it. Mine is pretty bad in some areas of the screen.

Marko009

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Wow that's really messed up :/
This kind of thing I was affraid of.. I hope these are isolated cases and simply defective units. You should exchange it for a new one

ultravi0let

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
This phone (1520) has the most fragile screen of any phone I've ever owned (4s, 5, 5s, BB, S3). Pampered this phone from day 1 and it still got scratches on the screen. Bought a hybrid case to elevate the front and back glass surfaces from the desk tops and am waiting for the screen protector to come in. Using a 920 now until the screen protector comes in to prevent further damage. If you get one, get it protected before even turning it on.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_netherlands_315 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss