Please help : Glance & double tap not working. Also phone blacks out while calling & receiving calls

ketan2604

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Please help : Glance & double tap not working. Also phone blacks out while calling & receiving calls

Please help : Glance & double tap not working. Also phone blacks out while calling & receiving calls.

What could be the reason? Happens after charging the phone. Doesn't resolve after rebooting the phone. Problem automatically goes away after 10-12 hours. Started since past 2-3 days. No updates or apps installed during this time.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Please help : Glance & double tap not working. Also phone blacks out while calling & receiving c

The reason to this is very simple. Something is blocking the proximity sensor. Could be dust, could be you, but the symptoms point 100% to something blocking the proximity sensor.

ketan2604

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Please help : Glance & double tap not working. Also phone blacks out while calling & receiving c

The reason to this is very simple. Something is blocking the proximity sensor. Could be dust, could be you, but the symptoms point 100% to something blocking the proximity sensor.

I have a screen protector. Nothing else. Could proximity sensor be faulty?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Then it will be the screen protector. Make sure it isn't covering the proximity sensor....
The screen should go off when making or receiving calls. It's a feature. Stops your face from pressing any onscreen buttons, like 'End Call'...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure about the 1520 design, I wonder if there's any 920-esque cracks where dust could get in to the proximity sensor. With 920 it helped if you had compressed air blown in from the speaker hole, but I don't think it's quite the same for 1520. I never had the problem on my 920 too. I guess it could somehow be a software bug too, but fairly unlikely. Is there a way to get the screen protector off without basically ruining it? It would be worth the shot at least if nothing else seems to work.

ketan2604

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site

It still persists. Goes on & off. What should I do?

Techno-guy

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Did this ever get resolved? Just got a 1520 yesterday and having the exact same issues. Really annoying for a brand new phone!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Tried rebooting the phone? (hold power and volume down together until it vibrates) Try that and report back. I have a 1520 and never had any issues like this.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

This is what it sounds like to me also.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
It still persists. Goes on & off. What should I do?

Clean the screen near the prox sensor. Then see if you've got any new apps that control calls or use the phone. Start by removing these. Then backup all of your info and run a factory data reset

Last edited:

kmok

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

I just fixed this issue on my 1520. The proximity sensor is to the right of the ear piece and my screen protector covered it causing the same issues with glance, double tap to wake, and the screen staying blacked out during calls. I replaced the screen protector with one that doesn't cover the sensor and haven't had any issues since.

Techno-guy

May 23, 2014
Visit site

All great suggestions guys! Thanks! I started with a soft reboot and no help. I then performed a full restore of the phone. Very few apps on the phone. It's brand new and has no screen protector or even a case on it and I've made sure there are no oils, etc. blocking the proximity sensor.

After the rebuild, it worked for a few hours and then just stopped on its own again. Glance won't work along with double tap and there are phone call blackouts.

Seems like it's a proximity sensor hardware issue at this point and the phone will have to go back, but it is suspicious that so many others are reporting the same thing, although it seems to be resolved for many. If nothing else, the sensor is extremely finicky since a search of this issue brings on a lot of complaints from owners on many Lumia devices over the past year.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

What (specific) version of the software ?

On my Lumia 1520 (Lumia Cyan w Dev Preview (latest) update 1), the screen does NOT stay on during a call on speaker. This is probably a software bug in the newest build. In addition, I've had issues (in the past) triggering Glance screen, no more - it requires a wave near the prox sensor.

I sent a phone back because of double tap - on my current device, it requires a firm two digit double tap to activate, then sometimes several tries to return to normal. On that large screen, it appears to be a tad selective, as to what it detects as a 2 finger double tap.
If you're talking about double tap to wake, I don't use that.

Techno-guy

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Not sure if the questions were for me or the OP but my software is 8.10.12397.895. My phone says it's up-to-date. I also installed SysApp pusher at the recommendation of other threads to make sure my Glance was up to date (it was although it's a 3-21-14 version so assuming no updates since then which may explain all the posted issues) as well as Extras+Info (up to date with 9-12-14 version).

Alin Ghita

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

Hi! I`m having the same issue with my 930, windows 10, latest build. The double tap feature was one of the best features of this phone and its not working anymore. All the same my screen goes black when I make or receive a call and thats just annoying. Any solutions yet?

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

Not sure if the questions were for me or the OP but my software is 8.10.12397.895. My phone says it's up-to-date. I also installed SysApp pusher at the recommendation of other threads to make sure my Glance was up to date (it was although it's a 3-21-14 version so assuming no updates since then which may explain all the posted issues) as well as Extras+Info (up to date with 9-12-14 version).

Check for screen lift on the right side of the screen. Particularly in right top corner. The issue might be that the screen is lifting over the proximity sensor and activates the "screen off" function that works during regular calls. Same with doubletap, phone thinks it's still in the pocket so it will prevent the doubletap functionality from activating. Next time the issue pops up don't bother trying to work around it, just visit local Nokia Care Center and claim warranty repair.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos