Screen Sensitivity Issue Status in Cyan (1520)

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I had to open my 1520 to replace the camera that was faulty. I didn't notice the screws were loosen. And I screw them correctly when mount all the part back. The scroll-tap issue is still there.

Hardware version: 6.0.0.0

Hesham Fouad

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Did you checked the grounding just near the camera module maybe you just widen the gap between main board and grounding while remounting it back

Shiranui2012

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed an increase in problems regarding tap/scroll sensitivity the more apps I have pinned to the home screen, can anyone one verify this?
I have a selection of different sizes, small/medium and long tiles pinned.
when I reset the phone it's all fine and dandy with all medium square tiles on start up, but as soon as I start customising the start screen with different sized tiles, the problem seems to get worse to the point where I've had enough. I took it back to the shop where I got it from and after an hour of them testing they said there was no problem with it, as soon as I get it back in my hands, well....what can I say?
They're obviously not going to replace the handset as in their eyes it's doing fine.

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Did you checked the grounding just near the camera module maybe you just widen the gap between main board and grounding while remounting it back

Well, I wasn't aware of this when I did the operation, maybe I'll open it again to see that, but the back plastic cover doesn't like my way to open the beast =p

Is this grouding the piece of metal fiber glued on the screen? Cause it went back and I had to use some light glue to maintain it while mouting back the components (sorry for my approximated English).

I can try to replace it with one more thick if I can find that kind of tape.

Last edited:

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I removed my screen protector yesterday and havent had any swipes register as taps since then. For sure iremoving the protector has affected my device.

I personally dont think my device has a hardware problem, I think its software related making the screen too sensitive. I hope it gets fixed in Denim, if it doesnt, it never will. I went to Nokia Service center yesterday to talk about this. I asked them is this a known issue, they claimed not. They said bring it in and they will check it out. They said if it needs to, they will use the device for days, to see and confirm the problem and if its there they will fix it.

I dont know, I thought I will wait for Denim and if its still there I probably will take it in. Although like I said before, I havent had any since removing the screen protector.

EDIT: HW revision 5.0.0.1

Last edited:

Hesham Fouad

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Hilder Read posts above written earlier with photo from service manual showing grounding on motherboard and back of lcd just near the camera module

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I see a similar issue on my HTC One, though admittedly not to the same extent. I'm not convinced there's really an issue, or maybe I'm just not understanding what the issue is.

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I have already read the explanation in this topic a few time, but since my phone is not opened and the photo of the service manual is not really clear, I was just wondering if it could be this piece of (grouding?) tape I had hard time with when assembling the parts. I'll see when 4ill open it again. And if the problem is just a gap, is it impossible to put some piece of paper on the other side of the motherboard like a wedge that will work as if the phone was bending in the good way? I'll try this.

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I do a new post rather than editing the previous one to bump it out since I maybe have found a solution.

First I checked the good contact between the LCD grouding and the motherboard by putting some piece of paper behind the contactor. But I still had the sensitivity issue.
So I looked more precisely at this lcd grounding component. I find out it also connect to the back of the camera. Since there are different pin to connect to the motherboard and to the camera, and reading some electrics arc could happen between the camera pin and the motherboard metal piece used to do the contact, I used tape to isolate the part of the motherboard where the arcs could land:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/at...20/86572d1415127626-lumia-1520-lcd-ground.jpg

So I just put (plastic) tape on the previous selected area.

The screen scrolling of my 1520 is now really smoother, and I can play Secrets and Treasure without firing bullet in space cause of false touch (that was nearly impossible to finish my daily playtime without having this issue before). I still did not have any issue with the Windows Central app (which happened a lot before) and the scrolling is now as smooth as on my lumia 920).

I'll change the tape for electrical tape next time and will cover more accurately the area, because I did not cover the edges and it could be the source of the really rare sensitivity issue I have now.

I use high sensitivity touchscreen setting and glance background since I did not see any differences while activating them or not.
(Note: since the paper wedge bent my connectors, I was forced to let them in place, but I think it's useless if your connector pins are not bent in the wrong way).

PS: I apologize for my English, I did my best.

EDIT: It lasted 5 days, now the ghost touch is back.

Last edited:

Hesham Fouad

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
read this its very interesting manufacturing circuit design article
Unwanted EMI/ESD is one of the biggest concerns related
to capacitive touch screens. This is noise that is physically
coupled into the sensor through the mobile device during the
touch event.. It can be seen as degraded accuracy or linearity
of touch, false or phantom touches, or just simply erratic
behavior. The culprits include marginal layouts, poor
antenna designs, and poor peripherals. These prove to be
significant sources of EMI/ESD. With PCB real estate
continuing to be at a premium within the mobile device,
layouts and designs can sometimes be compromised:
components are literally being placed on top of each other.
This sometimes leads to antennas being placed in extremely
closes proximity to the touch sensors, and can create
problems with the radios falsely activating the touch sensor.
Common mechanical countermeasures such as metal
shields no longer are effective solutions for resolving the
EMI problems.

This means its simply bad faulty design, could work but lead to ghost tap problems.
But in your case you might get good improvements,did you try to touch screen with back cover open and see how smooth it is

Last edited:

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
This matches what was said previously on another topic.
I tried the touch screen without the back cover, it's really smoother. And I'm not so sure my fix do anything, I've got a couple of ghost touch yesterday with one on the start screen (the first).

Edit: okay, it's now back as usually. I'll just wait for a 1530.

Last edited:

Hesham Fouad

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Today Microsoft admit a touch problem at the new Lumia 535 ,same thing they said its over sensitive and will fix it with a firm ware ,I hope so ,at least they would of fix the flag ship 1520 first

majinpunisher

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone successfully had their phone replaced by Microsoft? This problem is getting bad enough for me now that I don't know how much longer I can continue using the phone.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that works for me is opening up the phone and disconnecting all 4 flex cables and the reconnecting them as well as loosening and re-tightening all the screws. All you do is take off the back cover disconnect the battery �� flex cable first then do everything and reconnect the battery �� last.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I reckon it's an hardware issue now that I am facing the same thing on 535. Recent updates didn't solve it. Putting it in tight pocket and with screen close to your skin will cause the problem to resurface.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
It is a hardware fault causing this erratic behavior. Unfortunately we not talk about a faulty component but a design flaw that leads to issues with improper grounding, capacitive coupling, ....

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that works for me is opening up the phone and disconnecting all 4 flex cables and the reconnecting them as well as loosening and re-tightening all the screws. All you do is take off the back cover disconnect the battery �� flex cable first then do everything and reconnect the battery �� last.

Why can't the technicians over at the service centers resolve it? And we need to do this ourselves and risk to void the warranty?? Is just not right. Since this is a huge issue, MS should offer free repairs services worldwide for those having this erratic screen problem!

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Why can't the technicians over at the service centers resolve it? And we need to do this ourselves and risk to void the warranty?? Is just not right. Since this is a huge issue, MS should offer free repairs services worldwide for those having this erratic screen problem!

I'm too impatient and cheap to wait on a tech.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney