09-06-2016 08:49 PM
404 ... 1314151617
tools
    You can't carry this phone in your pocket without a really hard case to protect it from bending or compressing. Once this fix is done, your gonna need a case like the one I linked to.
    05-31-2015 12:41 PM
    nice case ,Microsoft moving to 5.7 inch lcd on the upcoming 940xl i guess its a good size screen for pocket and far from bending problems
    Jas Holden likes this.
    06-01-2015 12:42 PM
    I have had my Lumia 1520 for about 3 weeks. Bought off eBay used. Worked GREAT for first 3 weeks.. LOVE IT.. Then the screen jitters and random "stuff" started happening on the screen. So off to Google I go.. I read all the theories on what is wrong.. I come to my own conclusion. It is a screen issue. I read a little more on the interweb.. I do all the stuff with little to no help. I still believe its a screen issue not an issue with contacts.
    So.. I have nothing to lose as the fun is running out of this phone and it is going to get smashed and replaced. So this is what I have done to "fix" the issue.
    READY...
    I took a heat gun and a touchless digital thermometer. I layed the phone on my bench and started applying heat to the glass. Waving the heat gun back and forth until I got a temp of between 155-185 I kept that temp for about 45-60 seconds. Constantly moving the heat gun. After that time I let the phone cool. Turned it on... WORKS LIKE NEW... I am not kidding, I am not trying get you cook your phone. I think that the digitizer and the LCD are separating. the heat resolitifies the glue or what ever is in there. It worked for me.. My phone was getting to the point of being unusable. So I felt I had little to lose.. It has been 24 hours with a perfect phone...

Go slow on the heat and monitor the temp ...

If you try it and it works please post to help others..

Good luck...
    Hesham Fouad likes this.
    06-30-2015 11:02 PM
    Give us an update when you can to let us know if the fix is permanent. Thanks.
    07-03-2015 11:20 PM
    I have had my Lumia 1520 for about 3 weeks. Bought off eBay used. Worked GREAT for first 3 weeks.. LOVE IT.. Then the screen jitters and random "stuff" started happening on the screen. So off to Google I go.. I read all the theories on what is wrong.. I come to my own conclusion. It is a screen issue. I read a little more on the interweb.. I do all the stuff with little to no help. I still believe its a screen issue not an issue with contacts.
    So.. I have nothing to lose as the fun is running out of this phone and it is going to get smashed and replaced. So this is what I have done to "fix" the issue.
    READY...
    I took a heat gun and a touchless digital thermometer. I layed the phone on my bench and started applying heat to the glass. Waving the heat gun back and forth until I got a temp of between 155-185 I kept that temp for about 45-60 seconds. Constantly moving the heat gun. After that time I let the phone cool. Turned it on... WORKS LIKE NEW... I am not kidding, I am not trying get you cook your phone. I think that the digitizer and the LCD are separating. the heat resolitifies the glue or what ever is in there. It worked for me.. My phone was getting to the point of being unusable. So I felt I had little to lose.. It has been 24 hours with a perfect phone...

Go slow on the heat and monitor the temp ...

If you try it and it works please post to help others..

Good luck...
    I'm not going to nit-pick just give you some info that will help us understand what occurred there.

The digitizer is attached by a VERY thin layer of OCA (not a liquid type) to the Gorilla Glass. This assembly is then attached by a relatively thick layer of OCA to the LCD and frame. The most common cause of the digitizer instability is actually the frame it's self being bent or bending enough to cause stress on the glass/digitizer assembly.

Something I have come across is that those aftermarket battery/rear covers that you see for ~$20 do not fit properly. Often enough they cause stress themselves due to the tight fit and the molding not being "true". Over time either the frame, the cover, or both are going to conform in some way. As the frame relents to the pressures the cover is causing, the screen gets twisted causing the stress that results in the instability.

In the end my guess is that the heat softened the plastic of the cover enough to allow the frame to straighten out. But it's a guess.
    Rich Strapple likes this.
    07-04-2015 12:21 AM
    It has been almost a week. and everything is working great... I disagree with the post that it is the back cover being softened by the heat. Nothing happened to it to deform it.. The phone worked great for 3-4 weeks... It does not have an after market back. It was never in any other case nor was it sat on ... I am careful with my phones. In my opinion it is the digitizer. The heat does something to it.. What, I do not know nor would I guess.. I can tell what is for sure... Heating the glass fixed an otherwise unusable phone that had the screen jitters. No more random touches. no more weird scrolling..
    I am sure that there are tons of people who will have all manner of opinions.. If they can duplicate the errors and say that doing X fixes it.. great That being said.. The facts is what the facts is..

Quote "I took a heat gun and a touchless digital thermometer. I layed the phone on my bench and started applying heat to the glass. Waving the heat gun back and forth until I got a temp of between 155-185 I kept that temp for about 45-60 seconds. Constantly moving the heat gun. After that time I let the phone cool. Turned it on... WORKS LIKE NEW... I am not kidding, I am not trying get you cook your phone. I think that the digitizer and the LCD are separating. the heat resolitifies the glue or what ever is in there. " end quote.

Take it for what it is.. If your phone is basically unusable... what do you have to lose... Legalize - Your results may very...
    07-04-2015 06:16 PM
    It has been almost a week and all is good.... works great
    07-04-2015 07:19 PM
    I think you might have a point here. I've been using this phone for two years now, and problems with touch screen have always been there, especially swipe/touch issues. I literally tried EVERYTHING to fix it. I got to the point that every night after work I tried to change something. I used to disassemble the phone and try, at first just the bending thing, then tightening the screws, to the point that I tried insulating parts of the pcb from the rest with different materials or adding ground contacts between pcb and metal frame underneath. I finally tried to solve the problem purchasing a new 1520. Obviously, that didn't solve a thing. Same problems as before. I just gave up disassembly the phone every night a couple of month ago, 'cause it was driving me nuts. Oddly enough, in the last couple of weeks the touch/swipe issue seems to be gone. At first I thought that maybe some good Mighty God Of Mobile Phones had listened to my prayers, and was afraid He would want my soul in return, but after reading your post i realized that one day I left the phone inside the car under the sun for ten minutes (I know, never do that!), and when I returned to the car it was burning hot. End of story? Not really. Three days ago I dropped the phone (first time ever, always treated like a baby), and cracked the screen. Maybe the Mighty God saw me too happy. It still works fine with no touch issues, but I ordered a new screen and I'm confident that it will have touch problems, but I will definitely try the heat gun thing to fix it
    07-05-2015 03:39 AM
    I had a hong Kong phone, it developed screen issues, bending did actually help it, this proves to me the contacts are loose in the case, warming up the glue may work.

On another side note, second hand uk one I've never seen any issues. 1 year on after dropping etc!

I am glad my hk one had cellular modem problems showed me the fact the screen is faulty from start! Should of got it replaced earlier!
    07-05-2015 04:10 AM
    bending helped mine as well but only for a very short time.. it would not last long..... The heat works..
    Hesham Fouad likes this.
    07-05-2015 06:21 PM
    This is a long but good thread. thanks.

My mic stopped working month ago. Works a little in speaker phone mode. Now suddently getting the ghost touches and phone is unusable. flexing helps for a while.

I had already ordered the below to repair mic. does the below have a digitizer on it or do I need to oirder and entire screen replacment to get that part.
    I will try heat gun and pins but let me know about below.

phone.jpg

thanks for info
    Rich
    07-06-2015 11:18 AM
    This is a long but good thread. thanks.

My mic stopped working month ago. Works a little in speaker phone mode. Now suddently getting the ghost touches and phone is unusable. flexing helps for a while.

I had already ordered the below to repair mic. does the below have a digitizer on it or do I need to oirder and entire screen replacment to get that part.
    I will try heat gun and pins but let me know about below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	107775

thanks for info
    Rich
    First try what we've suggested in this forum before buying a new digitizer. They are expensive and complex to replace. I've tried what Hesham Fouad has suggested and it fixed my ghost/phantom touches issue. FYI this is what the digitizer looks like. nokia lumia 1520 digitizer | eBay
    Rich Strapple likes this.
    07-06-2015 02:11 PM
    Thanks Don, I am picking up a cheapo heat gun as i dont have one and rarely need one. I will post back my results.

thanks again.
    07-06-2015 02:34 PM
    So the heat fixes it? Even the scroll tap? Can you post a video of you doing that with the gun? Also, can i use a phon maybe?
    07-08-2015 09:51 PM
    I'm a bit late to the party here but wanted to comment on my research. I've got a phone that had a faulty touchscreen when I bought it used off of eBay (known to me). I bought a new panel (lcd/digitizer/frame combo). It worked immediately upon connecting the panel to the flex cable socket, before even disassembling the phone. All I did was disconnect the flex cable for the "bad" screen and plug in the new one, and the new one worked: showed display, touch worked, even double-tap wake worked. When I did remove the old panel and install the new one, the touch wasn't working. I fiddled with the display connector, a few of those little springy pins on the board, put it back together, voila, working. That got me a few days, then it wasn't working again, at first intermittent, fixable by squeezing, pinching, flexing a tad, now it's not at all. Display has worked fine the entire time, which is to say I can see what I cannot touch.

So, given that when I tried out the new panel it worked when just connected by the ribbon cable, I figured I would try that same thing with a couple of spare 1520 displays I have, both with known good digitizers. Wouldn't you know it, both of them worked just fine when just connecting them to the flex cable socket, leaving the other panel with the motherboard and accessories still attached to it. I have yet to try installing either of these spare screens properly to see if they'll work. If they do, of course, it would mean the problem with touch not working would be isolated to the lcd/digitizer/frame assembly, by deduction. I do intend to try out installing one of these spare displays properly to see if it works normally. Is that of interest to anyone, or is this a dead thread at this point?

There is the possibility that the motherboard or some other component is actually harming the digitizer when used consistently and not just to test it momentarily. If that were so I'll find out after keeping one of the spare displays installed for a while. This of course would be the worst-case scenario, which is to say that not only is the digitizer in your phone broken, but the motherboard or something else caused it to break and therefore replacing the display won't help you for very long. These displays go for about $100, so it's not a cheap theory to test.

As an aside, I tried the heat-up-the-screen fix, kept it at 150F for about 2 minutes, didn't affect things in any noticeable way. Perhaps closer to 180F was necessary but I don't feel like cooking the LCD accidentally just yet.

EDIT: I decided to fire up the phone with the display that "lost its touch" after buying/installing it, to see if what others mentioned was a factor here: Whether a cold start would refresh it, which is to say starting the phone after it's been off for a while, completely cooled-off internally. Touch worked. The phone wasn't responding to anything the last time I tested it very thoroughly, including prodding connectors, disconnecting and reconnecting every flex cable, adjusting pins, nothing would get it to recognize touch. Then after simply reconnecting flex cables and firing it up, it worked.

After swiping around a bit and tapping a few things, including the capacitive buttons, to see that everything was OK, I just left it running for a few minutes, then checked it again. Touch was not working properly. First it registered a swipe as a long-tap (hold), then it wasn't picking up touches at all, then only on the capacitive button area, then intermittently everywhere. Something about being on for a while is affecting touch. I say this because the phone is sitting on a neoprene pad, not moving, as I test it, and it goes from working to not.
    Last edited by OrlandoAlex; 07-19-2015 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Additional data from testing
    07-18-2015 04:09 PM
    I'm a bit late to the party here but wanted to comment on my research. I've got a phone that had a faulty touchscreen when I bought it used off of eBay (known to me). I bought a new panel (lcd/digitizer/frame combo). It worked immediately upon connecting the panel to the flex cable socket, before even disassembling the phone. All I did was disconnect the flex cable for the "bad" screen and plug in the new one, and the new one worked: showed display, touch worked, even double-tap wake worked. When I did remove the old panel and install the new one, the touch wasn't working. I fiddled with the display connector, a few of those little springy pins on the board, put it back together, voila, working. That got me a few days, then it wasn't working again, at first intermittent, fixable by squeezing, pinching, flexing a tad, now it's not at all. Display has worked fine the entire time, which is to say I can see what I cannot touch.

So, given that when I tried out the new panel it worked when just connected by the ribbon cable, I figured I would try that same thing with a couple of spare 1520 displays I have, both with known good digitizers. Wouldn't you know it, both of them worked just fine when just connecting them to the flex cable socket, leaving the other panel with the motherboard and accessories still attached to it. I have yet to try installing either of these spare screens properly to see if they'll work. If they do, of course, it would mean the problem with touch not working would be isolated to the lcd/digitizer/frame assembly, by deduction. I do intend to try out installing one of these spare displays properly to see if it works normally. Is that of interest to anyone, or is this a dead thread at this point?

There is the possibility that the motherboard or some other component is actually harming the digitizer when used consistently and not just to test it momentarily. If that were so I'll find out after keeping one of the spare displays installed for a while. This of course would be the worst-case scenario, which is to say that not only is the digitizer in your phone broken, but the motherboard or something else caused it to break and therefore replacing the display won't help you for very long. These displays go for about $100, so it's not a cheap theory to test.

As an aside, I tried the heat-up-the-screen fix, kept it at 150F for about 2 minutes, didn't affect things in any noticeable way. Perhaps closer to 180F was necessary but I don't feel like cooking the LCD accidentally just yet.
    I think there is interest. 1520s will be in use for a long time since it may be a very long time until new budget phones can match them.
    07-18-2015 05:48 PM
    I had the touch screen sensitivity issue for a long time, until a little over six months ago. This made it really frustrating navigating web pages - and basically all other things. Randomly clicking on ads when I meant to swipe, and so on. I then dropped my phone on a conrete floor, which (magically) transformed my screen into more of a mosaic artwork. I turned the phone in for a non-official switch of screens, and the problem completely vanished. Several months later I have never again experienced any issues. Probably nice to know for anyone thinking about turning it in for a repair.
    08-06-2015 03:02 PM
    My 1520 started to bug out a few days ago....random touches, mostly the search button, the screen becoming unresponsive ect.....
    Before this my phone had be running great for months with only a very random swipe as tap a couple times a day. So a couple days ago I performed the same procedure also leaving out the heat gun part. Every little contact tab I could find on the main pcb & lower sub board that looked like it made contact to the back of the display. I carefully raised them all just a bit.

Going on two days now and my phone has been working better than ever, not even a swipe as tap yet.

Hope it holds up.

Will update in a couple days.....
    Donny James likes this.
    08-20-2015 06:54 PM
    Well it's been a few more days and my phone is still working great. I would suggest to anyone that's having bad touch issues to try the procedure in
    Hesham Fouad's post #304 of this thread. I don't think the heat gun part is necessary.

Donny James likes this.
    08-25-2015 03:25 AM
    Well it's been a few more days and my phone is still working great. I would suggest to anyone that's having bad touch issues to try the procedure in
    Hesham Fouad's post #304 of this thread. I don't think the heat gun part is necessary.

I'm glad the great gun is not necessary. Else I'd have to explain to my wife why I needed to sink more money into my phone.
    08-25-2015 08:27 AM
    My scroll tap bug is coming back with a vengeance. Is the heat gun on the screen for a couple minutes the solution? I will have to give that a try. Really annoying.
    08-26-2015 07:23 AM
    I have the problem : sometime when i touch, it understand slide to left or right. Hichic
    08-27-2015 01:14 PM
    Wondering if this is both a software and a hardware issue? It seems that there are some phones that are wigging out bad, scrolling on their own etc. and some that just misinterpret a swipe for a touch every once in a while. Mine has been in the second camp since new. It will sometimes interpret a swipe for a touch. Annoying but not fatal. Interestingly I found that since I've upgraded to Windows 10 I haven't had any swipe or touch issues. My phone has had a hard case on it since new. Don't think I"ve put any flex on it in my pockets at all.
    08-29-2015 12:22 PM
    Wondering if this is both a software and a hardware issue? It seems that there are some phones that are wigging out bad, scrolling on their own etc. and some that just misinterpret a swipe for a touch every once in a while. Mine has been in the second camp since new. It will sometimes interpret a swipe for a touch. Annoying but not fatal. Interestingly I found that since I've upgraded to Windows 10 I haven't had any swipe or touch issues. My phone has had a hard case on it since new. Don't think I"ve put any flex on it in my pockets at all.
    What case do you have?
    08-29-2015 02:01 PM
    08-30-2015 01:51 PM
404 ... 1314151617