Screen Sensitivity Issue Status in Cyan (1520)

GK Wong

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 75330

as you can see from the photo the digitzer contacts marked with a red spot located just behind the lcd screen once main board mounted, it get in contact with the digitizer terminal what really happen in lumia 1520 with a big 6 inch screen is the screen slightly bend when you put it on your pocket or even use some force to clean it, and this mess with the digitizer contacts alignment causing a swipe, tap problem to appear
a short way to fix this look in the second photo hold the phone like this and push down from the red marked areas softly several time as it make a good contact with the digitizer terminal the problem will disappear
after all this is a faulty design specailly with a large screen, nokia know that yes they do but they just dont want to replace or fix it, cause its costly a design problem ,i tried to explain this in Nokia forum , they dont want us to understand its a hardware fault and treat us like a money bags for their faulty design ,can you imagine how happy they are when they read our messages that with lumia cyan update some wrote we feel it become better !! nothing really change its just we have a blind trust at nokia devices ,the question is what are going to do time to let them pay a high price as we did:wink:

Are you sure the illustration in your explanation applies to 1520? That is not even the engine board of 1520. Very obvious the SIM is on different location.
This is the correct illustrations for 1520 engine board;
Lumia-1520-EngineBoard.jpg
bottom.JPG
top.JPG
Notice there are no contact point from the engine board for the digitizer. Probably the digitizer connector is already paired with the LCD flex cable to the board.

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure the illustration in your explanation applies to 1520? That is not even the engine board of 1520. Very obvious the SIM is on different location.
This is the correct illustrations for 1520 engine board;
View attachment 75977
View attachment 75978
View attachment 75979
Notice there are no contact point from the engine board for the digitizer. Probably the digitizer connector is already paired with the LCD flex cable to the board.

Regardless of technical garble, this does work for some, who cares for exact details, for me just putting a slight twist on the chasse (back that seals around the screen glass) can either make this ghost tapping start or stop it at random.

So its clear that something in the build design is causing it. I must stress that so.e have it way worse them others, where screen gets touches registered without even touching the screen, not just the scroll registers as tap issue...

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Man, I appreciate work like the OP did. But I am naturally skeptical. This, as others have stated, can suffer from the placebo effect.

I have been using my phone for 4 hours after pressing the edges and I have not had a false swipe. I actually felt that there as a zone of the screen that was worse with the false clicks than others and it doesn't happen there anymore either.
Thanks, OP!!

GK Wong

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
If your screen register touches without even touching on it or auto press the Search key, then this are completely different issue than the famous touch-swipe issue of 1520. My bro 1520 got this issue, sometimes the screen scrolling is like vibrating itself, we sent to Nokia Care and the replaced the LCD altogether with the digitizer. And guess what? The touch-swipe issue is still there!

EHJ851

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I also have the phantom taps and clicks~ 1520( L1520 UK O2, WP8.1 DP update1-cyan fw). THEY ALWAYS COME BACK NO MATTER WHAT.
GK WONG's post makes more sense in looking for an explanation. Twisting the chassis based on a L520 blurry photo could not, probably, align something that isn't there.
My personal (educated) guess would be that somehow there is static electricity(rubbing the plastic against a fabric,eg pocket) building up between the glass screen and the plastic back...resulting in either false discharge or interfering with screen's capacitive field. Have you noticed the rubber gasket all around the glass screen? it could be acting like the insulator in a capacitor, thus the whole phone gets "charged" with static electricity that slowly (our body is not a low-resistance conductor) adds capacitive discharge when we touch the glass and interferes with swipe registering, hence the issue. Disturbances in electric field is what is used in capacitive touch principles.
Part 1, the L1520 has huge glass/plastic surfaces when compared to 920(I don't have one so I could only assume(based on design) that the 920 uses the same rubber gasket around the screen). Phantom touches/swipe occurs also for 920,but the severity/occurrence is less because of the smaller size. It takes a minimum amount of static charge in order to influence the capacitive screen, maybe the 1520 reaches that amount faster and more often because of the sheer size.
Part 2, our bodies always act like huge capacitors(clothing rubbing, wearing rubber sole shoes,etc). If there is an (design) fault in the grounding the screen to the polycarbonate body/mainboard there is also a source of issues even if the phone is not itself charged with static electricity.

The positive feedback (from users twisting and/or pressing the phone) could be that there is a shielding contact that discharges that. It could be either that the contacts are faulty(misaligned springs) or not enough.
I hope my post makes sense for those familiar with physics and principles of electricity.

tmiz

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone experienced a 1520 WITHOUT screen issues? I'm about to unbox a 1520.3 purchased from B&H and after reading all this, thinking about sending back before even opening. Like most of you, I just need the phone to work and don't want to be flexing the screen, etc. Curious if this is an issue across the majority of 1520s or if there is a decent chance I will have a problem free screen.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Has anyone experienced a 1520 WITHOUT screen issues? I'm about to unbox a 1520.3 purchased from B&H and after reading all this, thinking about sending back before even opening. Like most of you, I just need the phone to work and don't want to be flexing the screen, etc. Curious if this is an issue across the majority of 1520s or if there is a decent chance I will have a problem free screen.
They all have the issue. My brand new 1520.3 from newegg has it. I can't return it so I will just suffer through.

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I also have the phantom taps and clicks~ 1520( L1520 UK O2, WP8.1 DP update1-cyan fw). THEY ALWAYS COME BACK NO MATTER WHAT.
GK WONG's post makes more sense in looking for an explanation. Twisting the chassis based on a L520 blurry photo could not, probably, align something that isn't there.
My personal (educated) guess would be that somehow there is static electricity(rubbing the plastic against a fabric,eg pocket) building up between the glass screen and the plastic back...resulting in either false discharge or interfering with screen's capacitive field. Have you noticed the rubber gasket all around the glass screen? it could be acting like the insulator in a capacitor, thus the whole phone gets "charged" with static electricity that slowly (our body is not a low-resistance conductor) adds capacitive discharge when we touch the glass and interferes with swipe registering, hence the issue. Disturbances in electric field is what is used in capacitive touch principles.
Part 1, the L1520 has huge glass/plastic surfaces when compared to 920(I don't have one so I could only assume(based on design) that the 920 uses the same rubber gasket around the screen). Phantom touches/swipe occurs also for 920,but the severity/occurrence is less because of the smaller size. It takes a minimum amount of static charge in order to influence the capacitive screen, maybe the 1520 reaches that amount faster and more often because of the sheer size.
Part 2, our bodies always act like huge capacitors(clothing rubbing, wearing rubber sole shoes,etc). If there is an (design) fault in the grounding the screen to the polycarbonate body/mainboard there is also a source of issues even if the phone is not itself charged with static electricity.

The positive feedback (from users twisting and/or pressing the phone) could be that there is a shielding contact that discharges that. It could be either that the contacts are faulty(misaligned springs) or not enough.
I hope my post makes sense for those familiar with physics and principles of electricity.

It's interesting you mention grounding, after looking at the entire video teardown of the 1520 the I saw 3 points making contact from the engine board (not for digitizer) but for the vibrator contacts are (2), and a third that's right above it and its for ground, maybe its got a bad connection for some and is not grounding properly.

I'll post pics later of what I mean

dosek

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
It's wierd but I have tried to "bend" the back of the phone ... and? Tap & Swipe issue dissappear. I've done it yesterday in the evening and used the phone today all day long and its OK! Now its clear that is hardware failure, but quite easy to fix :)

EHJ851

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
It's interesting you mention grounding, after looking at the entire video teardown of the 1520 the I saw 3 points making contact from the engine board (not for digitizer) but for the vibrator contacts are (2), and a third that's right above it and its for ground, maybe its got a bad connection for some and is not grounding properly.

I used grounding but it is an improper term...more like grounding the screen to the mb...so there is no electrostatic potential between the glass/digitizer and the rest of the phone...fair enough, I ran a little experiment yesterday ( using a ground wire to get rid of electrostatic charges all the time) and no false clicks...

setasai

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I used grounding but it is an improper term...more like grounding the screen to the mb...so there is no electrostatic potential between the glass/digitizer and the rest of the phone...fair enough, I ran a little experiment yesterday ( using a ground wire to get rid of electrostatic charges all the time) and no false clicks...

Any ideas on how we can open it up and solidify the grounding terminal?

wps81

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Hey, this is really helpful. Would you mind also illustrate how you did your experiment?

EHJ851

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
late response, sorry. I was using a simple wire connected to the ground...even my cat was surprised of my behavior..
Basically, I am happy to say I'm false clicks free by making sure I always touch something that conducts electricity TO the ground before using the phone ( my wild guess is that it's my own static charge causing the false clicks). Basically, always make sure you touch something that's not made of plastic or wood, I know it sounds weird, touch a wall, faucet, metal fence... I would really like some feedback from other users..
We need further investigation over this...

Last edited:

danjah

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hold the phone like for taking a photo, index finger and thumb on the top(left hand)(Nokia logo) and on the bottom(right hand)(capacitive buttons)...

but squeeze firmly as if there where buttons where your fingers are, this should do it I even put a small twist on it till I saw the LCD flex a bit, this cleared it up... But everyone is different, and may only be temporary. In my case I still ended up disabling double tap to wake as while this worked it was still annoying to do all the time, I am now convinced its hardware that I intensified by software, as turning off the double tap wake setting fixes my random ghost tapping on wake issue...

Thank you very much! I first did the squeeze-thing only, and with little effect. Then, after turning off double tap to awake, the problem with my 1520 clicking when swiping is completely gone. It also removed the annoying ~0.5 sec freeze on the homescreen when unlocking it, which have forced me to unlock, then wait for a tiny bit - and then scroll, half of the time ending up opening som random app.

This is my conclusion after using it for a couple of hours. I'll be sure to update if the problem returns - which I'm actually rather convinced it won't.

24 hrs later: My phone is working perfectly. I swipe, 1520 swipes. I click, 1520 clicks. Seems to be permanent.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa