Screen Sensitivity Issue Status in Cyan (1520)

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Guys. I bought a 1520 last night. Multiple times today I've had it unlock itself, randomly open apps, scroll around.. Is this what you're describing? Should I exchange?

jlunardi

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Not fixed by rolling back using Nokia recovery tool. I guess its time for an exchange.

Yes same here rolling back to 8.0 did not help. I also tried then going to the dev preview as previously I did not have the issue when I was on dev preview but it is also now there... Guess same feeling as you its some how hardware related, it just weird it only started with 8.1...

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
HK country variant, flashed to UK CV, tap registered when swiping is still there, seems as frequent at before, but my phone wasn't too bad to start with, I only encounter 3-7 "wrong taps" per day. And I do use my phone very often throughout the day.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Bummer... You guys are keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Newegg deal...haha

Sounds like the 1520 ( all variants) is a work in progress.

jlunardi

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Contacted Nokia Customer Care they didn't give any clues as to if this is a known issue or not, they did tell me my warrinty maybe invalid as I installed dev preview. They advised me to take it into Nokia Care Centre to get checked.

Spoke to Amazon who I bought it through (via third party seller) and they advised I could return it for full refund.

Question would be then do I get another one, wait for the rumoured new devices coming or go back to Android...

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Exchanged last night, will provide updates

So I too had this, my device since purchase always had the sensitivity issue where it would detect a scroll as a tap. America ATT model.

But I never had the random touch issue of it doing things on its own, ghost touches our button issues.

I was on dev preview, had my phone backed up, downgraded to 8 using the recovery tool, did not restore from backup, upgraded to Cyan, then hard reset the phone to restore my backup.

When I did this I started getting the ghost tapping, example, I have pin code lock screen, when I would wake the phone and attempt to put in my password it would always tap numbers multiple times. Also sometimes it would just start tapping numbers on its own.

The fix for the ghost and unintended multiple presses was to hit power button to sleep and the wake the device again with the power button. This would 90% fix the issue right away for me. But would come back shortly after. Also had camera launches without hitting the button.

Also another thing that seemed to fix beside asleep and wake, was hitting one of the capacitive buttons while on the lock screen right after it was woken up.

Turned out that under touch settings, turning off double tap to wake fixed my issue, I still very rarely get a scroll as a tap or keyboard doubles, but its very infrequent, before changing that setting it was happening all the time.

I think it has something to do with the restore of settings. I read somewhere that said the fix was to hard reset but do not restore from a backup, this sucks and I will not try it as I have too much stuff... But I will live without double tap to wake, its a shame cause on 8 and 8.1 DP I had no issues with this feature, while I did have sensitivity issues I did not have the ghost pressing.

Maybe try and turn that of or hard reset without a restore.

JeffeMaximus

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Also, just FYI, I do not have the issue where my swipes are registered as clicks. I have never had that issue. I absolutely love this phone so I am torn to go and get it replaced. But when it hangs up calls on me it's almost something I can't live with.

I guess I am going to hold out and maybe hope that the update next week fixes but I am considering it about a 1% chance of that happening (I'd say more like one out of a million..... So you're telling me there's a chance... YEAH!).

JeffeMaximus

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Turned out that under touch settings, turning off double tap to wake fixed my issue, I still very rarely get a scroll as a tap or keyboard doubles, but its very infrequent, before changing that setting it was happening all the time.

I think it has something to do with the restore of settings. I read somewhere that said the fix was to hard reset but do not restore from a backup, this sucks and I will not try it as I have too much stuff... But I will live without double tap to wake, its a shame cause on 8 and 8.1 DP I had no issues with this feature, while I did have sensitivity issues I did not have the ghost pressing.

Maybe try and turn that of or hard reset without a restore.

I tried turning double tap to wake off when I was running 8.1 DP and it did not fix the problems for me. Now that I rolled back to 8, I am going to give that another try but I am not hopeful on this either.

ylap

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I had / sometimes have a similar problem with my Lumia 920 running 8.0, now 8.1 DP. If it occurs, it occurs while charging (behavior like in JeffeMaximus posted YouTube link).

jlunardi

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
at least with my phone I'm becoming more certain its hardware, when its happening the phone seems to be warm / hot on the back in the top left corner (where the sim card / sd card slots are) and having even light pressure in that area / side seems to cause the issue

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Guys. I bought a 1520 last night. Multiple times today I've had it unlock itself, randomly open apps, scroll around.. Is this what you're describing? Should I exchange?
This is not the same issue this thread was made about, but I have had what you are talking about happen twice now since updating to Cyan. It's super creepy. Like there's a ghost going crazy with your phone, or like someone hacked control of your phone and are spamming screen tap information to your phone. Not sure what causes it but I don't care for it.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yep, freaky. Either way, this thread was made for screen sensitivity, I think this falls under that category. I hope if it is software related, it's fixed soon.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I never really experienced any of this after Cyan except once where I was watching a video and a ghost long-press on the search key opened Cortana in voice mode.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
This has to be software related. Don't be so convinced that Nokia would've fixed it sooner, many, many bugs exist from the 900 days, and carry over throughout generations

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion