Screen Sensitivity Issue Status in Cyan (1520)

jlunardi

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm almost 100% certain now its hardware related, I cant seem to get the phone to have this issue when its cold and not been in use, however I can get it to reproduce this issue 100% of the time if I heat the phone up (put it on charge, leave the screen on) and then I apply even gentle pressure to the back of the phone at the top.

I've tried all variations of rolling back to 8.0 updating to dev preview, rolling back to 8.0 installing cyan, updating apps not updating apps etc, I even tried removing all apps (that could be removed) and then using the date trick to remove glance and touch and other systems apps and still it happens if the phone is warm and some pressure is applied, if it gets warm enough even lying it on the desk is enough to start the issue.

I also think if it was purely software related then everyone would be seeing it, I think its more likely hardware related and something that is likely to get worse over time. Possibly a defect or possibly caused by impact or possibly a combination.

Either way I will send it back to Amazon as they are offering me a full refund and in its fairly un-usable as even 5-10mins of web browsing is enough to warm it up to the point of it starting.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so, the tap when trying to scroll it's not new for me on this phone. The 1020 consistently did this to me. Consistently. I almost always knew I had to go back when I would scroll. I'm glad Casper is out of my phone though.

Is that the issue many of you are describing?

JeffeMaximus

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI everyone, I downgraded to 8.0 and used for several hours the phantom tap / scroll issue did not go away or get any better. I went ahead and upgraded to back to 8.1. Used for several hours and again, still had issues. Went ahead and hard reset / restored from a backup from before I downgraded.

Now, I didn't wait for the issue to reappear but I went into Touch, turned off everything, even vibrate when hitting the buttons. Sensitivity to Normal.

Happy to say did not have any issues today. Has anyone else tried turning off the Navigation setting in Touch? I never tried this and I am curious to know if that did / didn't work for others. I have gone a couple days before without issues but not lately, this is the first day in a while I haven't had some kind of screen issue.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, everything has been tried, including that. There are more details in the other threads about this bug. Unfortunately nobody has found a consistent solution.

fengjch

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Just FYI everyone, I downgraded to 8.0 and used for several hours the phantom tap / scroll issue did not go away or get any better. I went ahead and upgraded to back to 8.1. Used for several hours and again, still had issues. Went ahead and hard reset / restored from a backup from before I downgraded.

Now, I didn't wait for the issue to reappear but I went into Touch, turned off everything, even vibrate when hitting the buttons. Sensitivity to Normal.

Happy to say did not have any issues today. Has anyone else tried turning off the Navigation setting in Touch? I never tried this and I am curious to know if that did / didn't work for others. I have gone a couple days before without issues but not lately, this is the first day in a while I haven't had some kind of screen issue.
tried that and i found it works ,will update in a couple days see how it goes
but touch without viber really makes me unhappy

Sandeep Randhawa

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I see that Cyan is rolling out in some countries now. Could anyone confirm for me if the screen sensitivity issue is fixed or still occurring please? This issue often used to disappear and resurface a few days later after a restart, so I suppose we cannot be completely sure yet. But would be interested to hear people's experiences so far.
I have updated to cyan few days ago on my 1520 and the old and annoying touch sensitivity issues are resolved. Now i have not noticed any apps opening up randomly when am scrolling down the start screen orin the app list. So I think that it was a software issue that only firmware update could resolve and it actually did.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I hadn't noticed this problem until recently. But when I went into touch settings I noticed it was automatically set to high sensitivity. Once I set it to normal, no more touch sensitivity issues. Not saying it will work for everybody, but it worked for me.

zain1986

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
The bing search page pop up issue or that issue where the phone switches between screens itself and makes the phone unresponsive seems to be a hardware issue. Try holding ur phone horizontally like u do while taking a photo. Apply pressure on all the four corners with ur fingers. That bing search page will pop up and phone will keep switching pages which are running in the background and and the capicitive buttons will start vibrating like some ghost is touching them. It happens to my phone most of the time. Is someone else experiencing this?

Sandeep Randhawa

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
The bing search page pop up issue or that issue where the phone switches between screens itself and makes the phone unresponsive seems to be a hardware issue. Try holding ur phone horizontally like u do while taking a photo. Apply pressure on all the four corners with ur fingers. That bing search page will pop up and phone will keep switching pages which are running in the background and and the capicitive buttons will start vibrating like some ghost is touching them. It happens to my phone most of the time. Is someone else experiencing this?

Tried this horizontally holding and applying pressure thing as you said and there is nothing popping up. Its working fine

Dwight Kuhl

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Same as it ever was... Especially on 6Tag (Instagram), Facebook, and other uber rich sites... But you get so used to it that your reflexively hitting the "back" arrow as often as you swipe lol.... Screw it... The phone would be a world killer, but Microsoft want blas? products, so I will just focus on the positive....

JJanner

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My 1520 was purchased from AT&T in February this year. No problems until two weeks ago, then the screen sensitivity issue. The first warranty replacement phone had a non-functioning earpiece. The second replacement phone had the problem much less pronounced (ghost taps limited to the lower right corner). I waited for Cyan and WP8.1 to see if that made a difference. It did not. Now to the point of my post: During my online chat with AT&T for another warranty replacement, the CSR said they don't show this as a problem (he actually said it was the first time he's heard of it) and in the next sentence asked what other phone I wanted for a replacement (!). I told him I thought it was a production batch problem and still wanted the 1520. Great phone when it works. This latest replacement arrives Monday, let's see how it goes. I mean, the damn thing worked fine for six months.

tanyet

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to wonderful world of the 1520. Excellent phone when it's not doing this. It drove me nuts. I had to switch to a 925.

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I see that Cyan is rolling out in some countries now. Could anyone confirm for me if the screen sensitivity issue is fixed or still occurring please? This issue often used to disappear and resurface a few days later after a restart, so I suppose we cannot be completely sure yet. But would be interested to hear people's experiences so far.
I am still facing it post cyan update..

fawzy aly

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

yep me too the same issue :unhappysweat:

Daniel Lasecki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello Everyone

This is my first post here ....

Anyway for the last three days I'm a proud/unfortunate owner of Nokia 1520, for the last three days I'm struggling with believing to what is happening to my FLAGSHIP SUPER EXPENSIVE PHONE I purchased.

This is absolutely outrageous and 100% unacceptable, Nokia's 1520 sensitivity issue is simply ridiculous !!! Phone cant distinct Swipe from Tap

Cheapest phone from Samsung ?Samsung FAME? worth 19.99 euro have no issues with screen sensitivity and double tapping so **bleep** NOKIA !!!!

I went to the local "Nokia Care Centre" I was fulling myself that this is impossible there must be something wrong with this phone this is FLAGSHIP phone ! Guy in the the shop easily replicated the issue in the store they kept the phone for 3 h to make some "Tests" after I came back to the shop they told me "there is nothing wrong with this phone, it's just the ways it is.... And look all you need to do is just press harder" ....

After that I decided to look for solution on the internet, I factory reset the phone multiple times, I used the Nokia recovery tool etc.... Nothing helped....

After hours and hours of trying I can't do this anymore it is pointless .... Why? BECAUSE this is not a software Problem !!! This is a Hardware problem. How do I know that ? It's really easy ... I will explain

After recovering phone to the original software I decided to test something, I went to you tube site and I was playing around, scroll up scroll down, and every time phone register "Tap" you tube video was highlighted and phone was opening this video. OK

All the updates they did towards fixing this problem, were cosmetic !! the main purpose was to hide the problem not to solve it. After making few tests with Windows 8.0 I update it to 8.1 together with all the updates etc.

And ? I went to you tube, and I started to scroll and play around again this time if you did not removed your finger quickly enough YouTube video was highlighted but phone was "Cancelling the command to open it" with will give user false impression of problem solved ....

Try it yourself and you will see.

Nokia I was you fun for really long time I had Nokia 925 and I liked soo much that I decided to purchase Nokia 1520, but after this NEVER again.

Nokia should simply admit the problem and recall all the Nokia's 1520 and offer a replacement to the customers.

Last edited:

Dwight Kuhl

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I dated a super model with a coke problem... I can put up with this "annoyance", at least until something better looking comes around.... May be a while though, these 1520's are SEXY!!!!!

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Still there but not as annoying as back then.

Also, like few people here, putting touch sensitivity to Medium helped a lot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos