Screen Sensitivity Issue Status in Cyan (1520)

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Why can't the technicians over at the service centers resolve it? And we need to do this ourselves and risk to void the warranty?? Is just not right. Since this is a huge issue, MS should offer free repairs services worldwide for those having this erratic screen problem!
This is not a fix, it could temporarly help, but it doesn't fix anything. So a tech will not do this for the good reason it will not repair your phone. Or not all phones since for me the issue still come back after 1 or 2 days of use.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok. For my case, my 1520 was having these erratic issues with the phantom taps for quite some time. So 2 days ago, I was so frustrated that I peeled off the screen protector on the screen, which was applied soon after I bought the phone. It was those cheap kind of SP, not even a branded one. And to my surprise, the phantom taps issue is totally gone! Using the phone for 2 days after peeling off the freaking SP, and tapping is feeling so much better!

Guess my phone has no fate with screen protector. I just got to get a new flip casing to protect the screen. Loving my 1520 once again..... :grin:

Ryanx619

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Good for those of you who have resolve the touch issue after Lumia cyan updates. For me it's the other way around. I got my phone on December 2013, it's work brilliantly with the Lumia black firmware the i got the developer preview for cyan it's still working wonderfully. Never had any sort of problem or issue but after i update to official Lumia cyan my phone head since started to developed these sop called phantom touch issue and even worse it's freeze and heated up on numerous occasion. What happen is after i lock the phone then sometimes its heated up then i unlock it but it kept loading and continued to heat up for a few minutes. Locking it back won't resolved it so i heard to soft reset everytime these happen. Usually it happen at least twice a day. The phantom touch issue also has become a real problem since. It's really annoying. So i have update to Lumia denim a week ago and the freezing and loading issue head disappeared altogether but the phantom touch problem seems to be worsening. I try every setting possible to fix it. Normal screen sensitivity, off the glance screen, taking off my screen protector, apply a new thick one. But nothing seems to work and it got even worse this lady couple of days.. It's happening all the time that i cannot use my phone normally. Have to lock and unlock everytime it happen. Really dont know what to do anymore. I'd any of you got suggestion please share your thought.
Btw my phone is out of warranty already so sending it to service centre is not an option right now since my budget is tight. And don't tell me to sell and get a new phone coz this phone is my favourite phone.i even bought it a day after it was launch in my country.
Lumia 1520

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Have started the return process to MS.
Random screen activation, ghost touches ..started becoming just too annoying.
Had to go back to an Android phone. I only have wallets for them.
Think I enjoy WP better than Android.
L1520 is a great phone, when it works *sigh*.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I got my 1520.3 in October, fell in love with it, however over time I noticed this phantom tap issue, and now it happens all the time it makes me hate this phone quite honestly. Also random camera launches, along with volume appearing on screen rarely. Super annoying. I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out till the next flagship phone is released and hope it doesn't have any issues. Can't wait to get rid of this phone

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I got my 1520.3 in October, fell in love with it, however over time I noticed this phantom tap issue, and now it happens all the time it makes me hate this phone quite honestly. Also random camera launches, along with volume appearing on screen rarely. Super annoying. I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out till the next flagship phone is released and hope it doesn't have any issues. Can't wait to get rid of this phone
.... feel your pain.
Must feel like a betrayal.
I'm getting mine fixed/returned. Just hope it's not an endless cycle.
While too large it is a nice phone.
These old tired eyes see things better with it.
Viewing in sunlight is a plus, at least compared to my other phones.
Wish you luck and patience.

Ryanx619

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well what do you know, for the past 2 days my phone suddenly free from the phantom though issue. Weird, hopes it's stay this way for good. Notes just waiting for window 10 for phone. But I'm gonna let other try it first then I'll try it also.

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine since March 2014 and I just started experiencing phantom taps during the last week or so. The screen will go all crazy with different windows opening, and the screen will stop responding (3 capacitive keys still work) and I'll have to press the power button to turn the screen off and then on again to regain touch function. I have had occasional tap/swipe issues before but it happens so rarely it doesn't bother me at all.
I really hope Microsoft will address this issue as I really love the phone for the past 11 months.

zho40

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine since March 2014 and I just started experiencing phantom taps during the last week or so. The screen will go all crazy with different windows opening, and the screen will stop responding (3 capacitive keys still work) and I'll have to press the power button to turn the screen off and then on again to regain touch function. I have had occasional tap/swipe issues before but it happens so rarely it doesn't bother me at all.
I really hope Microsoft will address this issue as I really love the phone for the past 11 months.

I am also having the same issues for the past couple of weeks on my 1521 that I bought in April. I was thinking it was hardware related until reading about everyone else having the same problem.

malitash

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys. What are the latest news for this issue? I have recently bought a new 1520 and have the same problem. Although it is not severe I think it might get worse. I cannot replace it since there are no guarantee in my country. What is your final solution?

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Just got my L1520 back from MS repair. Has just been a week but so far so good.
Think they replaced the screen but don't know for sure.
No Charge for repair or shipping. My unit is a refurb just recently bought on eBay.
Concept behind Lumia 1520 is great, execution could have been better.
Think with LARGE phones a solid metal body is a must.
Tolerances mandated by the tech doesn't allow reasonable strain associated with plastic.
Oh well, I have no complaints regarding MS. They stepped up to the plate for me.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Just got my L1520 back from MS repair. Has just been a week but so far so good.
Think they replaced the screen but don't know for sure.
No Charge for repair or shipping. My unit is a refurb just recently bought on eBay.
Concept behind Lumia 1520 is great, execution could have been better.
Think with LARGE phones a solid metal body is a must.
Tolerances mandated by the tech doesn't allow reasonable strain associated with plastic.
Oh well, I have no complaints regarding MS. They stepped up to the plate for me.

If you get the ghost touches again let us know. I hope you don't. I do wonder if replacing the motherboard would fix the issue. I've replaced my screen and that hasn't fixed it.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I do notice a screen sensitivity issue with cyan. In cold weather the increased sensitivity doesnt seem to work well with gloves a lot of the time, contrary to what I thought the lumia phones, including my 1520 could do in cold weather.

Angirasa Acharya

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I've had this issue with my 1520 bought in around Feb 2014. The phantom touches began about three months into my purchase and have been bothering me ever since. The first time it happened, I figured it was a software bug. I let it go. It began recurring every week or so seemingly like clockwork, and as much as I was sure I was wrong, I found myself leaning toward it being cause by a virus of some sort. I did a hard reset just to be sure. It seemed to solve the issue for a while and I quickly forgot about it. a week later, the problem was back and it was worse! I began checking the internet for answers. Nothing I tried ever really worked.

I noticed a few things:
Firstly: The screen ALWAYS registers phantom touches toward the lower edge of the screen. Generally around the "Back", "Windows" and "Search" buttons. If playing a game for instance, the game would scroll in the direction of the touch (if the touch was on the edge of the play area).
Secondly: The Phantom touches would ALMOST ALWAYS occur when the phone was fresh off the charger (I use wireless charging most of the time)
Thirdly: The Phantom touches usually occur when the phone is hot.
Fourthly: If I tilted the phone ever so slightly so the lower right corner was pointed downward, the phantom touch would go critically insane! (I know this sounds like voodoo).
Lastly: Locking and unlocking sometimes (but not always) corrected the problem.

It's odd, but nothing seems to make any sense. I am not sure how the device is built, but considering the top half of the phone heats up, the phantom touches occuring at the bottom edge of the capacitive screen,the odd madness during tilt.... it seems crazy.

Anyway, I read somewhere about the screen-slap technique. You hold your phone face up and give a firm slap to the screen and it somehow resets the phantom touches. I tried it often. You can feel the tactile vibration when you slap it. it works half the time, but does not always work.

I found that just holding the phone face up and placing your palm gently over the top half the of screen causes a couple of tactile vibrations after which the phantom touches stop. The suggestions earlier about it being related to electrostatic grounding makes sense and is probably a secondary cause, I however believe that it's due to expansion of contact surfaces due to heat. I've never had phantom touches on a cold phone thus far. It only occurs when my phone is fairly warm.

Just to note, My phone shipped Black, It's been through all the updates and is now sitting on Denim. None of the updates did anything to solve or even reduce the phantom input problem. It reeks of hardware.

Barking Cactii

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Its annoying when you want to swipe and it gets interpreted as a tap. Constantly have to close accidentally opened apps, and entering the password on the lock screen occasionally it interprets 1 or 2 taps as 4 or 5, and has almost locked me out of my own phone several times due to too many password attempts!

DuoWing

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update. Mine has been getting slowly worse, so it's either time to send it in our open it up. Are you using any particular case or carrying it in your pocket? I always see put it in pocket with screen facing away from leg.

Hesham Fouad

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't use any case, just to be briefing most part of this related to firmware issue
how many lumia phones started with touch screen problem and over time they get improved as 535 and 930

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention