Screen Sensitivity Issue Status in Cyan (1520)

Rich Strapple

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
This is a long but good thread. thanks.

My mic stopped working month ago. Works a little in speaker phone mode. Now suddently getting the ghost touches and phone is unusable. flexing helps for a while.

I had already ordered the below to repair mic. does the below have a digitizer on it or do I need to oirder and entire screen replacment to get that part.
I will try heat gun and pins but let me know about below.

phone.JPG

thanks for info
Rich

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
This is a long but good thread. thanks.

My mic stopped working month ago. Works a little in speaker phone mode. Now suddently getting the ghost touches and phone is unusable. flexing helps for a while.

I had already ordered the below to repair mic. does the below have a digitizer on it or do I need to oirder and entire screen replacment to get that part.
I will try heat gun and pins but let me know about below.

View attachment 107775

thanks for info
Rich

First try what we've suggested in this forum before buying a new digitizer. They are expensive and complex to replace. I've tried what Hesham Fouad has suggested and it fixed my ghost/phantom touches issue. FYI this is what the digitizer looks like. nokia lumia 1520 digitizer | eBay

OrlandoAlex

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm a bit late to the party here but wanted to comment on my research. I've got a phone that had a faulty touchscreen when I bought it used off of eBay (known to me). I bought a new panel (lcd/digitizer/frame combo). It worked immediately upon connecting the panel to the flex cable socket, before even disassembling the phone. All I did was disconnect the flex cable for the "bad" screen and plug in the new one, and the new one worked: showed display, touch worked, even double-tap wake worked. When I did remove the old panel and install the new one, the touch wasn't working. I fiddled with the display connector, a few of those little springy pins on the board, put it back together, voila, working. That got me a few days, then it wasn't working again, at first intermittent, fixable by squeezing, pinching, flexing a tad, now it's not at all. Display has worked fine the entire time, which is to say I can see what I cannot touch.

So, given that when I tried out the new panel it worked when just connected by the ribbon cable, I figured I would try that same thing with a couple of spare 1520 displays I have, both with known good digitizers. Wouldn't you know it, both of them worked just fine when just connecting them to the flex cable socket, leaving the other panel with the motherboard and accessories still attached to it. I have yet to try installing either of these spare screens properly to see if they'll work. If they do, of course, it would mean the problem with touch not working would be isolated to the lcd/digitizer/frame assembly, by deduction. I do intend to try out installing one of these spare displays properly to see if it works normally. Is that of interest to anyone, or is this a dead thread at this point?

There is the possibility that the motherboard or some other component is actually harming the digitizer when used consistently and not just to test it momentarily. If that were so I'll find out after keeping one of the spare displays installed for a while. This of course would be the worst-case scenario, which is to say that not only is the digitizer in your phone broken, but the motherboard or something else caused it to break and therefore replacing the display won't help you for very long. These displays go for about $100, so it's not a cheap theory to test.

As an aside, I tried the heat-up-the-screen fix, kept it at 150F for about 2 minutes, didn't affect things in any noticeable way. Perhaps closer to 180F was necessary but I don't feel like cooking the LCD accidentally just yet.

EDIT: I decided to fire up the phone with the display that "lost its touch" after buying/installing it, to see if what others mentioned was a factor here: Whether a cold start would refresh it, which is to say starting the phone after it's been off for a while, completely cooled-off internally. Touch worked. The phone wasn't responding to anything the last time I tested it very thoroughly, including prodding connectors, disconnecting and reconnecting every flex cable, adjusting pins, nothing would get it to recognize touch. Then after simply reconnecting flex cables and firing it up, it worked.

After swiping around a bit and tapping a few things, including the capacitive buttons, to see that everything was OK, I just left it running for a few minutes, then checked it again. Touch was not working properly. First it registered a swipe as a long-tap (hold), then it wasn't picking up touches at all, then only on the capacitive button area, then intermittently everywhere. Something about being on for a while is affecting touch. I say this because the phone is sitting on a neoprene pad, not moving, as I test it, and it goes from working to not.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm a bit late to the party here but wanted to comment on my research. I've got a phone that had a faulty touchscreen when I bought it used off of eBay (known to me). I bought a new panel (lcd/digitizer/frame combo). It worked immediately upon connecting the panel to the flex cable socket, before even disassembling the phone. All I did was disconnect the flex cable for the "bad" screen and plug in the new one, and the new one worked: showed display, touch worked, even double-tap wake worked. When I did remove the old panel and install the new one, the touch wasn't working. I fiddled with the display connector, a few of those little springy pins on the board, put it back together, voila, working. That got me a few days, then it wasn't working again, at first intermittent, fixable by squeezing, pinching, flexing a tad, now it's not at all. Display has worked fine the entire time, which is to say I can see what I cannot touch.

So, given that when I tried out the new panel it worked when just connected by the ribbon cable, I figured I would try that same thing with a couple of spare 1520 displays I have, both with known good digitizers. Wouldn't you know it, both of them worked just fine when just connecting them to the flex cable socket, leaving the other panel with the motherboard and accessories still attached to it. I have yet to try installing either of these spare screens properly to see if they'll work. If they do, of course, it would mean the problem with touch not working would be isolated to the lcd/digitizer/frame assembly, by deduction. I do intend to try out installing one of these spare displays properly to see if it works normally. Is that of interest to anyone, or is this a dead thread at this point?

There is the possibility that the motherboard or some other component is actually harming the digitizer when used consistently and not just to test it momentarily. If that were so I'll find out after keeping one of the spare displays installed for a while. This of course would be the worst-case scenario, which is to say that not only is the digitizer in your phone broken, but the motherboard or something else caused it to break and therefore replacing the display won't help you for very long. These displays go for about $100, so it's not a cheap theory to test.

As an aside, I tried the heat-up-the-screen fix, kept it at 150F for about 2 minutes, didn't affect things in any noticeable way. Perhaps closer to 180F was necessary but I don't feel like cooking the LCD accidentally just yet.
I think there is interest. 1520s will be in use for a long time since it may be a very long time until new budget phones can match them.

danjah

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I had the touch screen sensitivity issue for a long time, until a little over six months ago. This made it really frustrating navigating web pages - and basically all other things. Randomly clicking on ads when I meant to swipe, and so on. I then dropped my phone on a conrete floor, which (magically) transformed my screen into more of a mosaic artwork. I turned the phone in for a non-official switch of screens, and the problem completely vanished. Several months later I have never again experienced any issues. Probably nice to know for anyone thinking about turning it in for a repair.

Dpac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My 1520 started to bug out a few days ago....random touches, mostly the search button, the screen becoming unresponsive ect.....
Before this my phone had be running great for months with only a very random swipe as tap a couple times a day. So a couple days ago I performed the same procedure also leaving out the heat gun part. Every little contact tab I could find on the main pcb & lower sub board that looked like it made contact to the back of the display. I carefully raised them all just a bit.

Going on two days now and my phone has been working better than ever, not even a swipe as tap yet.

Hope it holds up.

Will update in a couple days.....:sweaty:

Dpac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well it's been a few more days and my phone is still working great. I would suggest to anyone that's having bad touch issues to try the procedure in
Hesham Fouad's post #304 of this thread. I don't think the heat gun part is [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]necessary.

[/FONT]​

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Well it's been a few more days and my phone is still working great. I would suggest to anyone that's having bad touch issues to try the procedure in
Hesham Fouad's post #304 of this thread. I don't think the heat gun part is [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]necessary.

[/FONT]​

I'm glad the great gun is not necessary. Else I'd have to explain to my wife why I needed to sink more money into my phone.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
My scroll tap bug is coming back with a vengeance. Is the heat gun on the screen for a couple minutes the solution? I will have to give that a try. Really annoying.

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Wondering if this is both a software and a hardware issue? It seems that there are some phones that are wigging out bad, scrolling on their own etc. and some that just misinterpret a swipe for a touch every once in a while. Mine has been in the second camp since new. It will sometimes interpret a swipe for a touch. Annoying but not fatal. Interestingly I found that since I've upgraded to Windows 10 I haven't had any swipe or touch issues. My phone has had a hard case on it since new. Don't think I"ve put any flex on it in my pockets at all.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Wondering if this is both a software and a hardware issue? It seems that there are some phones that are wigging out bad, scrolling on their own etc. and some that just misinterpret a swipe for a touch every once in a while. Mine has been in the second camp since new. It will sometimes interpret a swipe for a touch. Annoying but not fatal. Interestingly I found that since I've upgraded to Windows 10 I haven't had any swipe or touch issues. My phone has had a hard case on it since new. Don't think I"ve put any flex on it in my pockets at all.

What case do you have?

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 104641

-pic 1 unsecrew those 5 secreow marked with red
-pic 2 this is a picture from the other side, use a heat gun on the red rectangle mark to make sure ribbon not losing its solder, not too much but enough to heat it while press it to make sure its connected firm with board, and rise up those terminals marked with red to make better contact with the back of lcd, be careful not too much they are so sensitive
-pic3 this is a view after taking the main phone board, there is 2 marked area, one is for digitizer ribbon make sure its connect tight
other for something look like a grounding, rise it up a little with screw drive and you are done
so far phone work fine, if anything happen i will let you know

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
See my previous post. The solution starts on page 13:http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/297759-13.htm
You should use the permalink address for the post. You're link doesn't work for me and others because it includes a page number and we don't use a default posts-per-page value. This thread is only up to 4 pages for me. But each post has an address that always takes you to the post. The post number in each post contains that address, so you can either copy the address of that link or click it and then copy the address from your browser address field.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster