Official 1520 Cyan Thread

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Rolled back from DP 8.1 to 8.0 using the Nokia Recovery Tool, then rolled forward to Cyan! Re-installed Developers Preview and its all pretty much working. OneDrive was a little slow first time up but otherwise good. The only glitch I've seen so far are:
  • in the theme setting when I went to choose a background photo, I did not have full access to all of my photos, particularly those albums on OneDrive;
  • I haven't been able to get screenshot working. It's now simultaneous "Windows and Volume Up" buttons?

JJanner

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Everything is wonderful so far on 1520 Cyan+WP8.1. The screen tap jitter is mostly but not completely gone. One irritation: I can no longer Copy translated text in Bing Translator. Before I could press and hold on the text and it would copy to the clipboard ("clipboard" = shows how long I've been using this stuff). Now pressing doesn't do anything. The Share button does not include all the installed apps where this is relevant (e.g., WhatsApp).

cvflowe

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I like my 1520 prior to the update, now I love it with 8.1 and cyan on ATT. It's silky smooth. The only problem I have is that my free games I got that came with the phone will no longer load unless I repurchase.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
My 1520 has been the worst WP I've ever owned and this is my second one. Camera jitter bug, screen reloading issue with no fix around . Yes I'm on 8.1 not dev preview and yes done many hard reset so hopefully someone has a better idea

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 has been the worst WP I've ever owned and this is my second one. Camera jitter bug, screen reloading issue with no fix around . Yes I'm on 8.1 not dev preview and yes done many hard reset so hopefully someone has a better idea

When it's still under warranty i would bring it in for a check, it sound that there is something terrible wrong with it.

randy_c

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have WP 8.1 develop and when using Nokia recovery it download the same version as on my phone 1028.3562.1407.1001
I thought it suppose to restore back to WP8 so I can do update?
Please advise

seq1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I have WP 8.1 develop and when using Nokia recovery it download the same version as on my phone 1028.3562.1407.1001
I thought it suppose to restore back to WP8 so I can do update?
Please advise
This (1028.3562.1407.1001) is just the firmware version, not OS version.
It will downgrade your phone to WP8.
Note: You will loose all your data if you downgrade.

forestgump4

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Guys,
somebody who already updated his phone to Cyan from AT&T, can you check for me that is Hungarian language available in settings -> language as a phone language not just for keyboard?
Thanks!:smile:

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Phone feels a whole lot smoother compared to DP 8.1. The lagging issues which used to crop up after a few days of use in games like Subway Surfers has disappeared. Also the pull down of the Action Center is buttery smooth.

Photos seem much better in low light, although I don't have any before and after comparisons. Touch sensitivity issues are still there but far better than what it was before. Overall, I'm very happy with the update :smile:

seq1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Phone feels a whole lot smoother compared to DP 8.1. The lagging issues which used to crop up after a few days of use in games like Subway Surfers has disappeared. Also the pull down of the Action Center is buttery smooth.

Photos seem much better in low light, although I don't have any before and after comparisons. Touch sensitivity issues are still there but far better than what it was before. Overall, I'm very happy with the update :smile:

Any other camera improvements that you noticed?

spaceman86

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
hi

how have you managed to update. Im in uk, have a 1520, but on vodapfone. keep checking if update available but it keeps coming back as being up to date. whats the deal with vodafone and the update? thanks

anon(5667874)

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
After the 8.1 update, on the Glance screen the quick status apps I had prior to the 8.1 update were no longer displaying on the Glance screen. I had to go into the Lock Screen settings, delete the quick apps I had there, and then re-add them. Now those quick status app counters are appearing again on Glance.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone having group text issues? When I send out a group text, everything goes smoothly. Now, when someone replies to my text, my number shows up as a recipient of the texts....meaning my number is added to the group as a new recipient. So, when I respond back, I get a text from myself. Strange....

Duncan Edwards

May 29, 2014
Visit site
miracast seems to be working great with my ptv3000. The only issue I have found so far is the 4od app will display on tv but when you press play video fails to start but work fine when I disconnect tv.

Iplayer works ok with miracast

Has anyone else found the same issue with 4od

Thanks

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Bing weather was working fine on WP 8.0 but it's not caching the content for off-line viewing after Cyan update. It keeps the date for a short while, but needs to connect to the server too often.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Weather App but it didn't help. Probably needs a bug-fix.

partha_padhee

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
As promised in the Cyan tracker thread, I am posting my experience after 5 days.
Some data:
Phone: Lumia Red 1520 Unlocked India
Never on Developer Preview

Positive Experiences:
1) Feels smoother and faster
2) Camera is quicker (You will need to really look out for the difference)
3) Miracast works remarkably well with my LG 42LA6910
4) The data and wifi arrows are sensible and useful. However, Daniel had mentioned in his article that they are probably enabled by Data Sense. I do not believe so as I used Data Sense in Windows Phone 8.0 but never saw it.
5) The Wifi sense also shows whether the wifi network that you have connected to has Internet access or not. This was not there before. Also, if the network doesn't have Internet access, the wifi signal is not displayed on the top bar with the data signal. This really helps.
6) Cortana is good. Works well but it can improve a lot. Voice recognition is almost a non issue. It recognizes what I say almost 95% of the time.
7) Action Center is useful from the context of the shortcut buttons.
8) IE is much much improved. Page rendering speed and quality have improved by a huge margin. UX is also better with the tabs and read mode. However, the font size is smaller and can be worrisome.
9) Quiet Hours is good.
10) Motion data is awesome and I use it with Bing Health and Fitness. Awesome!!!
11) While on auto brightness, and if you switch on the phone, sometimes, it takes a while before the screen lights up completely. This has not occurred until now. Fingers Crossed.
12) Parallax effect is awesome!

Negatives:
1) Touch is still a problem. I had hoped that Cyan would fix the touch but it didn't. It can be very irritating.
2) While unlocking the phone and providing the pin, it automatically takes a single tap as multiple taps and you cannot unlock the phone. Still not fixed. Very Very Irritating!
3) Battery backup has reduced. Earlier it used to give me around 29 to 30 hours of backup but I used to re-charge at around 30% charge remaining. Now total it gives around 25 hours and I have to re-charge again at around 30 - 40%.
Things to note: Wifi, Bluetooth, NFC, 3G always on. Data network has to be searched for all the time, as not all towers are in range and it keeps searching and changing from 2g to 3g accordingly. About 1 hour of gaming, 1 hour of calling, 1 hour of music and around 3 hours of fiddling on average.
4) Action Center: Can access only one item at a time from the action center. Let me explain:
A couple of mails come to one mail id and the notifications are listed in the action center. I tap on them and the mail is opened which I tapped upon. If I tap the back button, it goes back to the start screen. I either have to go to the specific tile or visit the action center again. They could have just kept an option that let the user choose the behaviour.
Edit: Just found out that if you tap on the mail account name, it takes you to the email inbox screen and not the individual mails. So this negative doesn't count. :)
5) If you have a pin to unlock the screen, you still have to enter it to open Kid's Corner. That is just stupid. In fact I know that Microsoft already had this solved but never released to the public. I have a friend who works in Microsoft and had a HTC 8X. He could open Kid's Corner without entering the pin even if he had a pin for the normal view. I myself have used his phone to try that out and wondered why they never released it.
6) Not the OS itself but Lockscreen Beta doesn't work with Kid's Corner.

Neutral:
1) Action Center is useful for only from the point of view of the shortcuts. Most of the time I check the tiles anyways for updates and the most important ones are on the start screen. Again this is just me.

As of now this is the list. If I notice any more, I will report back. Thanks for reading and if you have any negative feedback about this post, I request you to please be kind about it and I will try to improve.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon