Using Lumia 1520 as a flash drive

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Today I wanted to move some files over from my laptop onto my desktop (about 4 GB). I was going to whip out my trusty thumb drive but I thought why not just use my 1520. I have a 128 GB SD card so I have plenty space for it. I dragged the files over to the SD card in 1520 and everything seemed fine but when I plugged it into the desktop to take the files off the process was painfully slow. I ended up stopping the process and plugging the 1520 back into the laptop and tried to copy them back again to confirm it was the 1520 and not my desktop and it was super slow again. Both my laptop and desktop are running windows 7 64bit. Am I the only running into this issue? Anything I can do to speed this uo because it would be awesome to use my 1520 to move files on the go considering I always have it with me.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Would creating a network share on one of them not be a feasible option instead? For when you are at home at least. I think the reason for the lack of speed is because the phone is recognised as an MTG device and is restricted in the speeds it can operate, to maintain compatibility with other MTG devices.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
*MTP
It's pretty darn slow, I believe it can actually only read, write one at a time.

I would take out the card and plug it in directly via an adapter for more practical speeds.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
It's probably both your computer's and laptop's slow write speed.

Edit:

Out of curiosity, I tried it myself. I copied 2.57GB worth of videos from my 1520 to my PC. It took 2mins 6.5sec to complete. How big is the file you are trying to transfer? Like 50GB? 50GB should take about 45mins.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Would creating a network share on one of them not be a feasible option instead? For when you are at home at least. I think the reason for the lack of speed is because the phone is recognised as an MTG device and is restricted in the speeds it can operate, to maintain compatibility with other MTG devices.

I don't have internet at the moment (just moved). How would I go about setting that up?

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
*MTP
It's pretty darn slow, I believe it can actually only read, write one at a time.

I would take out the card and plug it in directly via an adapter for more practical speeds.

My desktop doesn't have an SD card slot so that's not an option for me. I ended up just using my thumb drive to do the task but I'm just wondering why I had the problem at all.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
It's probably both your computer's and laptop's slow write speed.

Edit:

Out of curiosity, I tried it myself. I copied 2.57GB worth of videos from my 1520 to my PC. It took 2mins 6.5sec to complete. How big is the file you are trying to transfer? Like 50GB? 50GB should take about 45mins.

My computer and laptop both have 7200 rpm hard drives. I built both. And it was 4gb with of files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)