Hi - I am contemplating buying a Lumia 1520. The one issue I have though is the phone has 8.1 Developer edition installed on it. Should I stay clear as I have been reading about Cyan updates which are bricking the phone? Or is there a way of reverting the phone back to 'normal' software?
    07-23-2014 04:07 AM
    Hi - I am contemplating buying a Lumia 1520. The one issue I have though is the phone has 8.1 Developer edition installed on it. Should I stay clear as I have been reading about Cyan updates which are bricking the phone? Or is there a way of reverting the phone back to 'normal' software?
    Bricking ? do you mean bit locker issues. You can easily downgrade the device to windows phone 8.0(gates are still open ) and after successful restoration once can update it to windows phone 8..+cyan firmware update. You will have no issues what so ever.
    07-23-2014 04:12 AM
    It will be fine. It'll make sense for you to reset to the consumer build when you get the phone (you'll need to hard reset it anyway to put your own account on it).

Read and follow steps at

Microsoft: Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developer users should return to normal software before Lumia Cyan | Windows Phone Central

You will then get WP8.1 when it's released for your region/carrier.
    07-23-2014 04:15 AM
    It will be fine. It'll make sense for you to reset to the consumer build when you get the phone (you'll need to hard reset it anyway to put your own account on it).

Read and follow steps at

Microsoft: Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developer users should return to normal software before Lumia Cyan | Windows Phone Central

You will then get WP8.1 when it's released for your region/carrier.
    What he said, you have minimal worries & you'll get the WinPhone 8.1 goodness -

FIRST STEP = HARD RESET & you should be good to go !
    07-23-2014 02:38 PM
    What he said, you have minimal worries & you'll get the WinPhone 8.1 goodness -

FIRST STEP = HARD RESET & you should be good to go !
    My understanding was that you only need to reset IF you are affected by the BitLocker bug.
    07-23-2014 02:54 PM
    You will need to use the Nokia tool to re-flash your phone if your phone is bricked by the update. This is no longer relevant as the cyan/consumer update has been halted for people running the developer preview.

The Nokia tool can be used to remove the developer preview and restore the phone to the consumer version of windows phone 8.0, ready for the official update.

Hard reset isn't really relevant here as the Nikita tool will reset the phone anyway.
    07-23-2014 03:22 PM
    A HARD RESET on a new phone is simply insurance, no bits of others data left.

He ^^^ is correct, if you're gonna flash back to 8.0, itz not necessary (simply a precaution).
    07-24-2014 04:15 PM
    You can wait and flash fresh 8.1 wit cyan when cyan comes to servers
    07-24-2014 04:16 PM
    My understanding was that you only need to reset IF you are affected by the BitLocker bug.
    It's also if you want the Cyan update before a fix is released, as devices with the preview have all been blocked, regardless of whether they use Bitlocker or not.
    07-24-2014 04:21 PM
    There is an official way to revert a nokia back to stock roms. However, this tool isn't working for some people, so I'd stay away from a dev preview phone.
    07-24-2014 05:51 PM