Nokia Software Recovery Tool is not working

Keith Brooks

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem. The Nokia Recovery Software installs no problem on my Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center x64 pc. It's running the recent update to Windows 8.1. The Windows Phone app on my pc's desktop see's my Lumia 521 running Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview. The Nokia Software Recovery Tool doesn't see my phone, at all.I've done 2 factory resets through settings > about on the phone. Each time it reinstalled Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview with the Black update. In the USA, T-Mobile still has Cyan listed as, Under Testing.

wspaw

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem. The Nokia Recovery Software installs no problem on my Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center x64 pc. It's running the recent update to Windows 8.1. The Windows Phone app on my pc's desktop see's my Lumia 521 running Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview. The Nokia Software Recovery Tool doesn't see my phone, at all.I've done 2 factory resets through settings > about on the phone. Each time it reinstalled Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview with the Black update. In the USA, T-Mobile still has Cyan listed as, Under Testing.
Mine saw the phone, recognized it and downloaded the ROM. The install, however, fails every time. Then the cycle begins...

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
When your phone shows the large NOKIA logo, if you check Device Manager, do you see a device in there that is unrecognized or not properly working (sometimes Windows will also pop-up a message that says your device could not be recognized)? More than likely, proper drivers are not being installed for your device.

Couple of things I tried to get it working:

1. Restart the phone.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Uninstall/restart/reinstall Nokia software.
4. Switch USB ports. (For me, switching from a USB 3 to a USB 2 plug worked).
5. Go into the Device Manager and remove any devices that were not installed properly or were having issues.

NastySasquatch

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I can't get it to recognize my phone is plugged in. The windows phone app for win 7 won't recognize it after installing the recovery tool. Have tried all the tips in this thread nothing works. So ******* annoying!!!!!! My computer installs drivers and sees my phone but NOTHING ELSE DOES!!!!!

Trying the nokia care suite guide posted directly above me I guess.... Well.. that didn't work either.

Guess I screwed up... Stupid phone won't even restore the backup I made before starting this whole mess.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have more luck.

Last edited:

henkepalmquist

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Edit!
If you have a SD card inserted take it OUT before trying to revert back to wp8.

Removing the sim card has also been reported to work in some cases.

If you have USB 3.0 as standard on your computer try to Activate USB 2.0 compatibility mode.
On some moderbords it can be done thru windows and on others you have to go into bios.

EDIT!!
It is the usb drivers are what is messing with the program(nokia recovery).
If the program doesn't recognize your device;
1 Go into device mng, uninstall the 3 or 4 drivers while the phone is connected. (right click the driver to get uninstall option)
2 unplug the phone.
3 open the program.
4 plug the phone into a usb port. (if it dosent work, try a new usb after a restart at steps 1-3.)

In device mng, you should have 1 not 2 "Winusb Device" driver and (edit) 1 "Nokia usb connectivity" under "Universal Serial Bus devices", 1 "Windows Phone" driver under portable devices.

This is how it should (edit)NOT look!!!!
Untitled.jpg

Edit: trying to replicate the problem.
Did not recognize my phone, so i follow my own steps and wholla!

Here is the print:
Untitled2.jpg

If this dont work for you or you get stuck at "big nokia logo", i will try to replicate the problem if i can.

Last edited:

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Not if you have the dev preview. Unfortunately I'm having the same problem as you...

What you are seeing is the hardware bios rev and yes it is the same as what you have. What you are missing is that there is the WP8 GDR3 OS version that is included with this download.

Just do it and you see what I mean.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I have the ICON and when I first tried, it did not go. I downloaded the version of the Nokia Software that ends in "For Retail". Once I did this it worked. I have gone back and forth a few times without problems using this version.

Good luck.

NastySasquatch

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
At least I got my settings restored finally after a 3rd Hard Reset. Also got the Windows Phone App for Desktop to start seeing my phone again.

I'll try going through the device manager after work. So glad some other people are finding solutions. I was pulling my hair out for a bit there. Thank you.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
You have to delete the download files if they fail before retrying. Also may want to try the Software Updater, which was the version before the Recovery tool. I successfully reverted my Icon a couple months ago with the Updater after failing with the Recovery tool. If you try the Updater, make sure you first completely uninstall the Recovery tool including the additional components it installs. You'll see them in Control Panel\Programs. I had to try the Updater a couple times and it only worked when I selected the option for "Phone won't turn on".

jankri

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I would be very gratefful if anyone haves any link with help how to revert from WP preview for developers 8.1 to 8.0.
I have tried suggested solution with Nokia Software Recovery Tool, but it can not be performed.

I downloaded the software, plugged in My phone. Interface is showing my phone (Nokia Lumia 625) mut it says that there is no software found for my phone and it can not update it.
Any idea what to do?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I ran into an issue too during an update to the Recovery Tool software. I ended up uninstalling it from my PC, power off/on, then reinstalling it. After that...success.

jankri

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I tried several times with install/uninstal, and allways without success. Then I decided to uninstal Recovery Tool and make a system recovery to earler time (Windows 7) to a time without Recovery Tool installed.
Now I am waiting for solution from Microsoft. :)

henkepalmquist

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I would be very gratefful if anyone haves any link with help how to revert from WP preview for developers 8.1 to 8.0.
I have tried suggested solution with Nokia Software Recovery Tool, but it can not be performed.

I downloaded the software, plugged in My phone. Interface is showing my phone (Nokia Lumia 625) mut it says that there is no software found for my phone and it can not update it.
Any idea what to do?

Lumia 625 should be supported, at least nokia say so...
Did you update to the latest 1.4.3?
Try to reboot the computer and phone.
If not then try to softreset the phone and see if it detects a new software after that.
If that fails then do a backup and then do a full wipe.
If that fails then my friend, i guess you're out of luck from me :p

Btw you could always try "NSU retail".
But you need to uninstall the "Nokia Software Recovery Tool" and do a restart before you install the "NSU retail".

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Not seeing a response, missylob...

I've tried USB 2 and 3 ports, several cables, including the Nokia cable.

Has anyone tried a hard reset?

Yip.......I've been trying to get around these problems for a week now. I've tried every combination I can think of....

hard reset my phone several times

Uninstalled / Reinstalled the recovery tool....several times

Tried different cables, different USB's, running the programme at different times of the day

I've seriously tried EVERYTHING

I'm open to any suggestions....anything I've missed or not tried yet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett