Nokia Software Recovery Tool is not working

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Geez. I have slow internet and it took hours to download the OS. Left it running and came back the next day and there was no OS to install and it attempted to download again. Could not find the supposed folder it was downloaded into... Wtf. I'll be pretty upset if I wait by the PC this time and it doesn't even work.

Just wanted to say I was able to get some decent internet and it all went smoothly.

Joemar Serrato

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I noticed that too. I was thinking that I might be able to get the Cyan update right away because the software version on my phone is similar to the one being downloaded. But upon installation, the phone rebooted and shown a large Nokia logo then the level went to 1% then on the PC the Software Recovery Tool prompted "Installation Failed" then the phone's screen went blank! It won't turn on now no matter what I do. Help!

anon(8763253)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I finally got mine to work with the software updater but it didn't install the back up I made before hand it installed the last backup I made before upgrading to 8.1 so that was a little annoying

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Joemar Serrato

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
has it started to update or is it on 0%?

Yes the software download has already completed. It's 1.3 GB then upon installation, the phone turned off. I turned it on, the installation begins and gets stuck at 1% and I saw a big Nokia logo on my phone's screen then it just turned off for no reason and on my PC it prompted that the "installation failed". Now I can't turn on my device. I tried to do recovery by pressing volume down and power button but to no avail. What should I do? It's been a day and I can't get my phone to work.

anon(8763253)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I cancelled it because every time I connect my phone, it won't recognize it because it's turned off then the recovery tool will give instructions to push those two buttons but my phone wouldn't vibrate at all.

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers as suggested above? Then try the my phone won't turn on option

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
What finally worked for me was to:

1. Uninstall ALL the associated apps plus the recover tool
  2. Remove all winusb devices plus the phone from device manager
  3. discoonect my card reader so that the phone was the ONLY USB device showing
  4. reinstall recovery software and GO!!

Bond_001

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
my lumia black software downloads to 100 percent and then it starts again... i m using nokia software recovery tool. what could be the problem?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
my lumia black software downloads to 100 percent and then it starts again... i m using nokia software recovery tool. what could be the problem?

Did you go to Nokia's site & download the latest version of the software ?
What device are you using to download the software (PC, laptop, Mac, tablet, your phone)?

jankri

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 625 should be supported, at least nokia say so...
Did you update to the latest 1.4.3?
Try to reboot the computer and phone.
If not then try to softreset the phone and see if it detects a new software after that.
If that fails then do a backup and then do a full wipe.
If that fails then my friend, i guess you're out of luck from me :p

Btw you could always try "NSU retail".
But you need to uninstall the "Nokia Software Recovery Tool" and do a restart before you install the "NSU retail".

Yeah my friend! I am totaly out of luck at the moment. Nothing I tried (as instructed) worked.
It seems that the best option is to sit and wait the solution from Microsoft. No cyan update for my preview for developers :(
Thanks for Your help anyway!

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I too am having issues with this software recovery tool. So I came here to get advice. For me it downloads the rom to 99% but shoes 1.53 gb OF 1.53 gb downloaded. Then it just sits there. Waited for 30 min at one point and nothing. Change destination folder restarted phone/NSR changed USB cables and again downloads seems to get all but it just sits there.

What should have been ~1 hour process has turned into 3 hours. I gues I don't get to try my miracast adapter on my WP and I'll have to wait for Microsoft to fix the dev preview. A little dissapointed as I just got up the motivation to downgrade/save data...

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I too am having issues with this software recovery tool. So I came here to get advice. For me it downloads the rom to 99% but shoes 1.53 gb OF 1.53 gb downloaded. Then it just sits there. Waited for 30 min at one point and nothing. Change destination folder restarted phone/NSR changed USB cables and again downloads seems to get all but it just sits there.

What should have been ~1 hour process has turned into 3 hours. I gues I don't get to try my miracast adapter on my WP and I'll have to wait for Microsoft to fix the dev preview. A little dissapointed as I just got up the motivation to downgrade/save data...

I ran into your exact problem when I started the downgrade process. My fix: I totally shut down my computer, powered it back up, went into control panel/programs and features, and unistalled the recovery tool. Then, I powered off/on my PC again and downloaded the recovery tool once more. Everything went smoothly after that.

Keith Brooks

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
How did you get it to work in Windows 8.1 ? I have Windows 8.1 Pro Update w/Media Center x64 on my pc. The latest version of Nokia Software Recovery Tool 1.4.3 open's up on my pc. However, it can't detecy my Nokia Lumia 521, even though Windows 8.1 does.

henkepalmquist

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
How did you get it to work in Windows 8.1 ? I have Windows 8.1 Pro Update w/Media Center x64 on my pc. The latest version of Nokia Software Recovery Tool 1.4.3 open's up on my pc. However, it can't detecy my Nokia Lumia 521, even though Windows 8.1 does.

Look at post #26, and follow the instructions.

Go to Control panel then go to device mng.
Or type in "device manager" in windows search and open the program.

henkepalmquist

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I cancelled it because every time I connect my phone, it won't recognize it because it's turned off then the recovery tool will give instructions to push those two buttons but my phone wouldn't vibrate at all.

You have to hold the buttons pressed for 5-15 sec or so.

But if it went to 1% then i don't know.
Do you have a SD card in the phone? If so TAKE it OUT during the downgrade, It can mess with the usb connection and readability of the phone.

PFI-Guy

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
After downloading the Nokia Software Recovery Tool and suffering through a painfully slow download (even with a 50 Mbits Comcast Business Account), I tried several times to restore with 2 or 3 different failure messages.

Got "Phone cannot be restored" and "Phone flashing has been canceled" and forgot the third message.

Finally got the downgrade to install, then applied the AT&T update and restored the backup.

I followed the various steps from the different threads, but had to do a modified series of steps.

1. Backup the phone to your Microsoft OneDrive account. (Even make a local backup of all the folders you can access from your computer while the phone is connected via USB).
2. Delete the backup from the phone Settings>>Backup>>Apps+Settings and then back it up again to your Microsoft account.
3. Disconnect your phone from the computer.
4. Hard reset the phone (but DO NOT restore nor connect to your Microsoft account).
5 While waiting for the hard reset, uninstall the Nokia Software Recovery Tool (and other Nokia software) from your computer. After it is uninstalled, delete the Nokia folder under the ProgramData folder. (I also uninstalled the Windows Phone software from the same computer). REBOOT.
6. Once the phone is done from the hard reset (DO NOT connect it to your Microsoft account or restore the back), power it down and remove both the SIM and the SD Card.
7. Before re-installing the Nokia software, power the phone on and connect it to the computer. If the computer asks what to do when it sees the phone, select "Do Nothing".
8. Disconnect the phone and install the Nokia Software (right click on the install file and select 'Run as Administrator').
9. Once the Recovery Tool is installed, run it and follow the prompts.
10. If the install succeeds, it will reboot the phone. You will get a 'SIM ERROR', because neither the SIM card nor the SD Card is installed.
11. Go through the setup questions, but do not connect to your Microsoft account or restore.
12. Power down, put the SIM card in and power it up.
13. Go through the 2 to 4 updates from the Settings>>Phone Updates (including all the reboots).
14. When the Phone Updates say there are no more updates available, power down and install your SD Card.
15. Power up, answer any questions and then do a hard reset.
16. During the install setup, make sure to connect to your WiFi and sign in to your Microsoft account. Select restore your data.

Make sure to have a full battery and only during the final restore keep it plugged in.

This is from someone who has a 521, 630, 920, 925 and 1520 (plus a 2520).

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
This could be a Out Of Topic Question.
What is the difference between NokiaSoftwareRecoveryToolInstaller and NokiaSoftwareUpdaterForRetail_4.1.0
Are these 2 programs different?. I have downloaded both not sure which is one does what.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss