12-17-2014 04:29 AM
64 123
tools
    Prices Dropped today for the 1520.3 (Not sure about the others). Now I'm even more tempted...although I'm wondering why the reduction? (1525 incoming?)
    07-30-2014 04:30 PM
    You have two choices
    1. Lumia 1525 coming soon
    2. Lumia1520.3 RM-995. Supports tmo/att 3G/4G and LTE bands. The 1520 RM-937 only supports ATT 3G/4G
    Don't forget mine! The RM-940. AT&T 32GB Model.
    07-30-2014 04:36 PM
    I really do like my 1520 it's quite a useful device, but I have to admit I'm beginning to second guess my decision to give up my iPhone for a phone that in Australia doesn't get updated with the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong the 1520 is terrific, I just don't understand why a country like Australia is forced to be so far behind with Windows updates when having an iPhone means being up to date all of the time. (let the flaming begin I suppose)
    07-31-2014 06:11 AM
    Prices Dropped today for the 1520.3 (Not sure about the others). Now I'm even more tempted...although I'm wondering why the reduction? (1525 incoming?)

Thanks for the heads up on the price drop. I email B&H this morning and got a refund of the difference I paid for it since my 30 days runs out on Aug 3. Better deal got sweeter. Big thanks!!
    07-31-2014 10:29 PM
    You know real Aussie I'm on the same page as you are until my HK cv 1520 got updated. Now my wife really hates this phone lol.
    08-06-2014 06:07 AM
    What phone are you currently using and thinking of replacing?
    08-06-2014 09:55 AM
    My concern is whether it will get future update I mean WP 9 especially because it has hardware buttons, I dont want to invest so much if it will get obsolete in an year in terms of software updates. So should I get it or not?
    Last edited by Mahesh Abnave; 08-07-2014 at 04:14 AM.
    08-07-2014 04:01 AM
    I understand your concern, and if WP9(Threshold) is important to you, the safe choice would be not to get the 1520.

However, there is still a good chance the 1520 will get the update, because:
    1. Its got a powerful Snapdragon 800 processor and 2GB RAM which is pretty futureproof
    2. Flagships usually get updated
    3. It got Windows Phone 8.1 despite having non on-screen buttons

Of course, Microsoft could pull another WP 7.8. Hopefully not.
    08-07-2014 04:19 AM
    You ask if,it is a safe bet?? I say it is the best ever bet till date!! (though you may wait for an,upgraded 1520 snapdragon 801 soc or HTC w8).. But right now in the present there no better phone than that...it is future proof for upto 2016 .....it can and will easily take whatever new you throw at it...go for it...plus ignore the comments about having hardware buttons...it has nothing to with the core of the os...as long as the kernel used i.e windows NT is same..
    It will get the updates no matter what.....microsoft present customers are its base for future...you cant have a future if abandon your base...plus if at all in any case windows phone 8 devices don't get upgrade to windows phone 9..it will mean that Microsoft will have a new app store all together...and i am sure they are not in a position to have another app,store with no apps...ao don't worry.....it is... the best
    08-07-2014 04:49 AM
    .as long as the kernel used i.e windows NT is same
    thats what I am wary of, cause I heard Win 9 will be significantly different, tho not sure in what aspects precisely, they might change the kernel too... and I dont want to end up with something which will not update to full Win 9 but to something like Win 8.5 etc. the same way MS provided Win 7.8 (the post mango update) to those old devices running Win 7.5.

plus if at all in any case windows phone 8 devices don't get upgrade to windows phone 9..it will mean that Microsoft will have a new app store all together
    I dont think so, they can have WP 8 app emulator on WP 9 plus new apps only run on Win 9.
    08-07-2014 08:40 AM
    thats what I am wary of, cause I heard Win 9 will be significantly different, tho not sure in what aspects precisely, they might change the kernel too... and I dont want to end up with something which will not update to full Win 9 but to something like Win 8.5 etc. the same way MS provided Win 7.8 (the post mango update) to those old devices running Win 7.5.

I dont think so, they can have WP 8 app emulator on WP 9 plus new apps only run on Win 9.
    they cannot change,the kernel,it will go against there "one" plan.... Xbox one, windows 8.1 windows RT windows phone 8 all use NT...that is wy they,left Windows CE in the first place.....keeping the kernel same they will first unify RT and WP...with a uniform experience across all of there devices...(maybe even smart watches) imo..so that you'll always feel you are using windows...
    08-07-2014 02:43 PM
    The 6" screen is the perfect size and super easy to get used to. You can never go back to a lower resolution and/or smaller screen once you get used to the 1520.

Plus everything else that's been posted too.
    The 1520 is a great phone, but big is an understatement. HUGE is more like it. I believe it might be the biggest phone out there. I know for sure, it is bigger then the Samsung Note series. It is true that the screen is an awesome 1080p and the specs are great. I just don't think this is a mass appeal device. The Icon or 930 would be, if they were available on all carriers. For me, I wanted a WP with modern specs and this was really the only choice on AT&T. I bet, I'm not alone. Before you buy this device, go to the store and handle it. It will fit in a jeans pocket, but barely.
    08-07-2014 03:43 PM
    The 1520 is a great phone, but big is an understatement. HUGE is more like it. I believe it might be the biggest phone out there. I know for sure, it is bigger then the Samsung Note series. It is true that the screen is an awesome 1080p and the specs are great. I just don't think this is a mass appeal device. The Icon or 930 would be, if they were available on all carriers. For me, I wanted a WP with modern specs and this was really the only choice on AT&T. I bet, I'm not alone. Before you buy this device, go to the store and handle it. It will fit in a jeans pocket, but barely.
    The Galaxy Mega 6.3 is larger than it, but the other specs aren't that great.
    08-07-2014 05:01 PM
    The 1520 is great. I'm having problems with the Cyan firmware currently and can't use it right now, my 1020 feels like a toy. Also as a side note, I have an extra 1520 for sale if anyone is interested.
    08-07-2014 11:41 PM
    I damaged my 1020a week ago and insurance sent me a 1520. I can't put it down! I love it. Sure it's bigger, but for me that's actually a plus. The screen on this thing is amazing! I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a smaller screen after using this. My wife teases me about how big it is but she admitted she wishes she had one.
    08-07-2014 11:47 PM
    Ok emotional decision, going for Nexus 5 until WP platform becomes stable in terms of OS evolution and apps. I honestly believe I will not buy WP unless the OS is completely evolved to prevent my worry about my phone will not be getting next full update. Also WP now badly needs Android app emulator or whatever it is despite of whatever the app count is in WP store. Many Indian banks and stock brokers' apps are missing from WP, but are shining on Android. Hopefully I believe WP will get evolved very soon, proving Nexus 5 my last android.
    08-08-2014 07:33 AM
    An OS will never final, unless it dies. There will always be evolution.

As for your mention of an emulator, I know there have been talks about it but I hope it never happens!
    08-08-2014 08:07 AM
    Ok emotional decision, going for Nexus 5 until WP platform becomes stable in terms of OS evolution and apps. I honestly believe I will not buy WP unless the OS is completely evolved to prevent my worry about my phone will not be getting next full update. Also WP now badly needs Android app emulator or whatever it is despite of whatever the app count is in WP store. Many Indian banks and stock brokers' apps are missing from WP, but are shining on Android. Hopefully I believe WP will get evolved very soon, proving Nexus 5 my last android.

A phone, is a phone. Go with whatever works best for you. The Nexus 5 is a good choice, in my opinion. However, OS updates will cease with Google at some point as well. Nothing is really future proof. Get something you will enjoy using and don't worry so much about OS updates, firmware updates, etc...
    Timbre70 and chezm like this.
    08-08-2014 10:34 AM
    I came to WP in part because of the Android emulator and the reliance on Android apps on BB10. I do NOT want to buy a platform that relies on another platform for apps. I will not so that. So I hope WP does not follow BlackBerry down that path.
    08-08-2014 01:40 PM
    Yes this. I currently have a 920, 1020 and 1520 on my account. I wouldn't want to use anything but the 1520. I would say exactly what MDK22 said, it's big but you get used to it quickly..... then everything else seems like a small toy. Best phone I have ever owned hands down. And even that is by a mile.
    JamesPTao likes this.
    08-08-2014 06:18 PM
    I got my 1520 when two of my 920's went bad. Traded them even up for a 1020 and 1520. 1520 is the best phone I have ever had, and my wife calls it a computer. :)
    08-08-2014 06:22 PM
    I went from an IPhone 5s to the 1520 and have enjoyed it so far, I have a 1020 for my work phone and wanted to have two on the same platform. After using the 1520 I have loved everything about it (That screen is amazing!!!) but have found that it is a little big for me sometimes... for day to day use its amazing, but its a little big when going for a run or wanting to use it one handed. Needless to say that I will be in the market for a 1020 to use once in a while when the 1520 it too much for me
    08-10-2014 09:25 AM
    The 1520 is a great phone , not too big not too heavy and very well made.
    However windows phone is by far the worst os I have used to the point where now I'm going to have to save up and buy either and android again or suck it up and get an iphone( shudder)
    At the end of the day I wanted above all a phone that ....well. works!
    Sooo many problems with this phone it feels like a fake knockoff .
    Alarms don't always go off
    Can't connect to my pc
    Mobile data speeds are very slow and weak
    Phone will sometimes not make calls
    Phone will sometimes not receive calls
    Audio and video player is garbage
    Standard email client is garbage

That's the main points and tbh there are more but lately I don't "play" with my phone like I used due to the fact it is not very good at all

Sad to say I regret buying this phone and would never recommend it to anyone I didn't dislike.
    Timbre70 and ketan2604 like this.
    08-12-2014 04:17 AM
    Wow we must have different phones. I run three different platforms simultaneously and I do not find this phone to be in any way inferior to the others. As a matter if fact, I might delay getting the Note 4 and just stay with the iPhone 6 and the Lumia 1520 for a while. That's how happy I am with it.
    And the battery? A phone that lasts over one full day with a screen that size is one that I'm keeping.
    08-12-2014 04:29 AM
    The 1520 is a great phone , not too big not too heavy and very well made.
    However windows phone is by far the worst os I have used to the point where now I'm going to have to save up and buy either and android again or suck it up and get an iphone( shudder)
    At the end of the day I wanted above all a phone that ....well. works!
    Sooo many problems with this phone it feels like a fake knockoff .
    Alarms don't always go off
    Can't connect to my pc
    Mobile data speeds are very slow and weak
    Phone will sometimes not make calls
    Phone will sometimes not receive calls
    Audio and video player is garbage
    Standard email client is garbage

That's the main points and tbh there are more but lately I don't "play" with my phone like I used due to the fact it is not very good at all

Sad to say I regret buying this phone and would never recommend it to anyone I didn't dislike.
    I've had 0 of the 7 problems you listed on my 1520. Windows Phone has thus far proven to be the most fluid and efficient OS I've used yet, that includes Android and iOS.
    08-12-2014 10:55 AM
64 123