Is it worth it, Nokia Lumia 1520 ?

Mahesh Abnave

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok emotional decision, going for Nexus 5 until WP platform becomes stable in terms of OS evolution and apps. I honestly believe I will not buy WP unless the OS is completely evolved to prevent my worry about my phone will not be getting next full update. Also WP now badly needs Android app emulator or whatever it is despite of whatever the app count is in WP store. Many Indian banks and stock brokers' apps are missing from WP, but are shining on Android. Hopefully I believe WP will get evolved very soon, proving Nexus 5 my last android.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
An OS will never final, unless it dies. There will always be evolution.

As for your mention of an emulator, I know there have been talks about it but I hope it never happens!

bigmoneymike

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok emotional decision, going for Nexus 5 until WP platform becomes stable in terms of OS evolution and apps. I honestly believe I will not buy WP unless the OS is completely evolved to prevent my worry about my phone will not be getting next full update. Also WP now badly needs Android app emulator or whatever it is despite of whatever the app count is in WP store. Many Indian banks and stock brokers' apps are missing from WP, but are shining on Android. Hopefully I believe WP will get evolved very soon, proving Nexus 5 my last android.

A phone, is a phone. Go with whatever works best for you. The Nexus 5 is a good choice, in my opinion. However, OS updates will cease with Google at some point as well. Nothing is really future proof. Get something you will enjoy using and don't worry so much about OS updates, firmware updates, etc...

qbnkelt

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I came to WP in part because of the Android emulator and the reliance on Android apps on BB10. I do NOT want to buy a platform that relies on another platform for apps. I will not so that. So I hope WP does not follow BlackBerry down that path.

the36thCipher

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes this. I currently have a 920, 1020 and 1520 on my account. I wouldn't want to use anything but the 1520. I would say exactly what MDK22 said, it's big but you get used to it quickly..... then everything else seems like a small toy. Best phone I have ever owned hands down. And even that is by a mile.

the36thCipher

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I got my 1520 when two of my 920's went bad. Traded them even up for a 1020 and 1520. 1520 is the best phone I have ever had, and my wife calls it a computer. :)

bsmithphoto13

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I went from an IPhone 5s to the 1520 and have enjoyed it so far, I have a 1020 for my work phone and wanted to have two on the same platform. After using the 1520 I have loved everything about it (That screen is amazing!!!) but have found that it is a little big for me sometimes... for day to day use its amazing, but its a little big when going for a run or wanting to use it one handed. Needless to say that I will be in the market for a 1020 to use once in a while when the 1520 it too much for me

saveferris77

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 is a great phone , not too big not too heavy and very well made.
However windows phone is by far the worst os I have used to the point where now I'm going to have to save up and buy either and android again or suck it up and get an iphone( shudder)
At the end of the day I wanted above all a phone that ....well. works!
Sooo many problems with this phone it feels like a fake knockoff .
Alarms don't always go off
Can't connect to my pc
Mobile data speeds are very slow and weak
Phone will sometimes not make calls
Phone will sometimes not receive calls
Audio and video player is garbage
Standard email client is garbage

That's the main points and tbh there are more but lately I don't "play" with my phone like I used due to the fact it is not very good at all

Sad to say I regret buying this phone and would never recommend it to anyone I didn't dislike.

qbnkelt

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow we must have different phones. I run three different platforms simultaneously and I do not find this phone to be in any way inferior to the others. As a matter if fact, I might delay getting the Note 4 and just stay with the iPhone 6 and the Lumia 1520 for a while. That's how happy I am with it.
And the battery? A phone that lasts over one full day with a screen that size is one that I'm keeping.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The 1520 is a great phone , not too big not too heavy and very well made.
However windows phone is by far the worst os I have used to the point where now I'm going to have to save up and buy either and android again or suck it up and get an iphone( shudder)
At the end of the day I wanted above all a phone that ....well. works!
Sooo many problems with this phone it feels like a fake knockoff .
Alarms don't always go off
Can't connect to my pc
Mobile data speeds are very slow and weak
Phone will sometimes not make calls
Phone will sometimes not receive calls
Audio and video player is garbage
Standard email client is garbage

That's the main points and tbh there are more but lately I don't "play" with my phone like I used due to the fact it is not very good at all

Sad to say I regret buying this phone and would never recommend it to anyone I didn't dislike.

I've had 0 of the 7 problems you listed on my 1520. Windows Phone has thus far proven to be the most fluid and efficient OS I've used yet, that includes Android and iOS.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Just received the 1520.3 from B&H a few days ago; getting used to the size. :winktongue:

Wasn't sure I was going to keep it, but now think I will until something else comes along. Surprisingly, the performance isn't leaps and bounds above my dual-core Lumia 810. I think that speaks of two things, the speed of the OS and the speed of the internal storage of the 1520 vs. the slower SD card on my 810, where I kept most of my apps.

While I like it, I honestly think it's about 1/2" too big and just an ounce or so too heavy. This is the first time I've found that I'm taking careful note of the weight and size of a phone's case as it's now an additive comfort factor. Even though I have large hands (L-XL glove size), when using one handed the corners of the screen are just out of a comfortable thumb's reach and I have to shift the phone up & down. Something on order of the LG G3 (5.5") is about right for me as the maximum screen size & weight. Hopefully LG will take a crack at Windows Phone now that some of the hardware parameters have been simplified.

But otherwise the 1520.3 hits all the right notes: Glance, Qi charging, it's fast, great screen, great camera, works on T-Mobile, 32 GB + SD card (!). A lot to like there. :grin:

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I am doing an exchange of my L1520.3 so in the mean time I am using my L920. What is up with this TINY phone! :cool: :winktongue:

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
And no one mentioned the Big GREEN hulk that AT&T.... It's Huge.... It's Green.... It's a 1520! Yeah!

Personally, my 1520 Black 32GM with 128GB SD with Cyan WP 8.1... A serious piece of Hardware and has yet to have any issues. It runs everything... the battery lasts me 2+ days. I can read text on web pages without zooming... that's a 1st. The 1520 gives a great experience...

Oh, did I mention... I can read the screen in full sunlight!

~ScottGeek.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I came to WP in part because of the Android emulator and the reliance on Android apps on BB10. I do NOT want to buy a platform that relies on another platform for apps. I will not so that. So I hope WP does not follow BlackBerry down that path.
Don't worry that idea has been officially killed ay MS...Thank god! Lol.

Neore0

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Just received the 1520.3 from B&H a few days ago; getting used to the size. :winktongue:

Wasn't sure I was going to keep it, but now think I will until something else comes along. Surprisingly, the performance isn't leaps and bounds above my dual-core Lumia 810. I think that speaks of two things, the speed of the OS and the speed of the internal storage of the 1520 vs. the slower SD card on my 810, where I kept most of my apps.

While I like it, I honestly think it's about 1/2" too big and just an ounce or so too heavy. This is the first time I've found that I'm taking careful note of the weight and size of a phone's case as it's now an additive comfort factor. Even though I have large hands (L-XL glove size), when using one handed the corners of the screen are just out of a comfortable thumb's reach and I have to shift the phone up & down. Something on order of the LG G3 (5.5") is about right for me as the maximum screen size & weight. Hopefully LG will take a crack at Windows Phone now that some of the hardware parameters have been simplified.

But otherwise the 1520.3 hits all the right notes: Glance, Qi charging, it's fast, great screen, great camera, works on T-Mobile, 32 GB + SD card (!). A lot to like there. :grin:

johnj2803

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Just to update this thread.

I ended up returning the phone before the 14 day buyers remorse period ended on att.

I want to wait for the iPhone and note and maybe the successor of the 1520. Just to see the competition.

In the meantime I got a Lumia 520 prepaid gophone for $50 on WalMart and I'm using my regular line on att with it. And I think it's the best back up phone 😊

I love the screen and battery life of the 1520. I love how all Lumia phones go into "drive mode" when paired with a BT car or headset automatically, and this feature alone can make me switch.

What I miss most on android is google now. Cortana isn't there yet. I don't need to launch google now to remind me to leave for an appointment for traffic, or see when packages are coming in and some other small things.

I'm looking forward to iOS 8 because of continuity between the mac. I love my mac. But its not a feature that will make me want to switch tho.

For me, the one who meets my needs is android > windows > iOS

tapatalk on my nokia 520

Goosinurwife

Banned
Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
i dont think its worth it thats why i got a lumia 1320 and im waiting now cuz i heard rumours that a lumia 1820 thats way better than the 1520 is coming soon maybe by xmas i dont know

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
i dont think its worth it thats why i got a lumia 1320 and im waiting now cuz i heard rumours that a lumia 1820 thats way better than the 1520 is coming soon maybe by xmas i dont know

An 1820? I wouldn't bother waiting for something that's was 'supposed' to be unveiled in February. A good chance it's not coming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99