AT&T 1520 w/ 8.1 update quirks

wra1th3

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Install took a lot longer than amber and black, but all went well. Two issues I'm seeing & wondering if anyone else is experiencing as well:

Start screen tiles seem to have been "squished" width wise & theres what I'm perceiving to be a black border around the tiles...hope we can change this to use the screens real estate properly!

The capacitive buttons no longer light up, which is no biggie during the day but in the dark I have to rely on muscle memory for button location. Any option to turn back on?

tcmoon

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Cortana no longer speaks! Do I need to reset phone, like I had to on DV 8.1???

Edit: Decided to do a hard rest and now Cortana works great.

Last edited:

junglescope

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Everything works for me, in fact the overall experience is speedier and more polished than DP.

I don't know what you can do to fix your problems, but I updated all my settings because rolling back caused me to lose things like brightness profile and the option to disable key vibration, which I gained back with setting app updates.

wra1th3

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I never upgraded to Dev Preview, I stuck with 8.0 w/ black up until today...

The start screen is definitely not as wide as 8.0, which is no biggie...my big gripe is the capacitive button backlight
Are those still working for everyone?

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
For some reason...only system apps like messaging are showing in my notification + action settings.. I can't specify whether I want banners for certain apps anymore... I'd hate to do another reset...takes forever to download all those apps

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
For some reason...only system apps like messaging are showing in my notification + action settings.. I can't specify whether I want banners for certain apps anymore... I'd hate to do another reset...takes forever to download all those apps

Once you receive your first message from those apps, they should show up in the settings.

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, did the update yesterday from 8.0 and now my stock embedded google account in email + accounts is greyed out and says syncing. I have no idea on how to stop this as it doesn't give me any options. Anyone seen this before??

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Everything working well here. I did what was suggested in one of the article on wpcentral and did a hard reset right after it updated.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, did the update yesterday from 8.0 and now my stock embedded google account in email + accounts is greyed out and says syncing. I have no idea on how to stop this as it doesn't give me any options. Anyone seen this before??

Anytime they sync, it is greyed out. If it is like this for an extended amount of time, you can try turning your phone off and back on and then try to delete the account. The Google accounts need to be set up again in WP 8.1 because it uses a different protocol so it should have had you log into your Google account when you upgraded.

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Anytime they sync, it is greyed out. If it is like this for an extended amount of time, you can try turning your phone off and back on and then try to delete the account. The Google accounts need to be set up again in WP 8.1 because it uses a different protocol so it should have had you log into your Google account when you upgraded.

Yeah, initially when I setup my google (gmail account) account again after the update it was fine. Then at some point it's just been stuck in syncing. I have no option to delete the account. I've also done multiple soft resets and that has had no affect on changing the constantly syncing status, it never actually stops or completes now. I did uninstall metromail & mytube which both use my gmail account and that also had no affect. I'm really hoping I don't have to perform a hard reset and completely wipe the phone.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, initially when I setup my google (gmail account) account again after the update it was fine. Then at some point it's just been stuck in syncing. I have no option to delete the account. I've also done multiple soft resets and that has had no affect on changing the constantly syncing status, it never actually stops or completes now. I did uninstall metromail & mytube which both use my gmail account and that also had no affect. I'm really hoping I don't have to perform a hard reset and completely wipe the phone.

Hmm, a couple other suggestions. Do you have a computer or other device you can access your gmail account with? You can try to change your Google password. Then soft reset again and see what happens. That might help stop it from syncing and then you can change the password on your phone. If it still does it after that, temporarily move all your inbox e-mails to another folder and try again. Are there a lot of e-mails in your inbox?

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, a couple other suggestions. Do you have a computer or other device you can access your gmail account with? You can try to change your Google password. Then soft reset again and see what happens. That might help stop it from syncing and then you can change the password on your phone. If it still does it after that, temporarily move all your inbox e-mails to another folder and try again. Are there a lot of e-mails in your inbox?

Thanks for your help, but I'm at a loss right now. I just tried your suggestion of moving old emails to another folder aside from inbox, cleaned out and deleted a bunch of emails as well as changing the password as well as doing a soft reset and the gmail account is still greyed out and showing Syncing....

Not sure what elase to do at this point.

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your help, but I'm at a loss right now. I just tried your suggestion of moving old emails to another folder aside from inbox, cleaned out and deleted a bunch of emails as well as changing the password as well as doing a soft reset and the gmail account is still greyed out and showing Syncing....

Do you happen to have the 2-step verification on for your Gmail?

Deaconclgi

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Go into settings, then "backup", click "text messages" and turn off Text message backup if you have it turned on. Backing up a ton of text messages, especially since Windows Phone keeps all messages and files for great spans of time will cause your main account to be greyed out due to the time it takes to sync.

Once your account is no longer showing that it is syncing, feel free to turn text message back up on and then do a backup by going clicking apps+settings and then back up now.

If you run into the forever sync issue again, just turn text messaging backup off again and then on when you need to do a backup. This issue will also prevent linked accounts with your contacts such as LinkedIn and will cause your contacts sync to take a while depending on the amount of messages that are being synced.

I hope this helps.

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Go into settings, then "backup", click "text messages" and turn off Text message backup if you have it turned on. Backing up a ton of text messages, especially since Windows Phone keeps all messages and files for great spans of time will cause your main account to be greyed out due to the time it takes to sync.

Once your account is no longer showing that it is syncing, feel free to turn text message back up on and then do a backup by going clicking apps+settings and then back up now.

If you run into the forever sync issue again, just turn text messaging backup off again and then on when you need to do a backup. This issue will also prevent linked accounts with your contacts such as LinkedIn and will cause your contacts sync to take a while depending on the amount of messages that are being synced.

I hope this helps.

I do not use this account to back up anything, I use my oulook account which is fine. I also have another google account on the phone which is for work and this account is fine. At the moment my gmail account is the only account on the phone that is having the issue.

Deaconclgi

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I do not use this account to back up anything, I use my oulook account which is fine. I also have another google account on the phone which is for work and this account is fine. At the moment my gmail account is the only account on the phone that is having the issue.

Ok. Sorry I couldn't resolve the issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo