Cannot Downgrade Lumia 1520 on AT&T US!!!

EnteriiB

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
re: Cannot Downgrade Lumia 1520 on AT&T US!!!

No idea, well put I dev preview back on and it is updating. What was weird for me was not being able to finds the 059T1K8 product code that's on the SD Card slot anywhere.

Ent

pararigger

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

The 1520.3 (938) has only been out for a few months, maybe that has something to do with it?
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

EnteriiB

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

The 1520.3 (938) has only been out for a few months, maybe that has something to do with it?

Had the 1520 for around 6 months now and I don't see the QI charging on it?

Ent

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

if you don't have the 3 connectors then you do have Qi charging, which probably means you can flash with the international version of RM_937 and get cyan/8.1 and get rid of AT&T bloatware :)

pararigger

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
937 rom won't work on a 938. At least from what I've read, I personally have no experience.

So Ent, what you're saying is you have a Lumia 1520 that you purchased from an ATT store that says it's a RM-938 and does NOT have the three metal contacts on the back of the phone? Get your torch and pitchfork, what you have is Frankenstein's Monster.

pararigger

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
um yeah that a Frankenstein's Monster.alright. you'd be well within your rights to take it back and demand a brand new especially as your now unable to get updates and it says not for resale, although it might just be worth keeping :)

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
AT&T did got it new from them, it had all the AT&T bloatware on it as well.

Ent

I call Bull$**t ...

AT&T does NOT sell that phone (unless AT&T had an epic fail) - as a matter of fact, it was very difficult to get (he has the unicorn it appears).

Is it possible, you got this from an AT&T reseller (not a corp store), or does this whole story fall apart.
Let's see your Extras & Info screen, your ABOUT screen & the back of your phone.

EnteriiB

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
LOL, I wonder if they gave me a demo unit or a engineering unit, either by mistake or cause they are idiots..

No point in try a 937 ROM then I guess. Will just have to wait till MS sort out CYAN on the dev preview.

Ent

EnteriiB

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
says 1520.3 rm-938 and says a lot about Canada on it, since I used a 938 rom on it it now just says nokia lumia 1520 instead of not for resale.Still nothing on this product code 059T1K8 anywhere.

The back is plain white with Nokia on it. I got it from AT&T when I returned my 920 which I got on contract within the 14 days and asked for this one instead wanted the bigger screen. This was the one they gave me.

Ent

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
says 1520.3 rm-938 and says a lot about Canada on it, since I used a 938 rom on it it now just says nokia lumia 1520 instead of not for resale.Still nothing on this product code 059T1K8 anywhere.

The back is plain white with Nokia on it. I got it from AT&T when I returned my 920 which I got on contract within the 14 days and asked for this one instead wanted the bigger screen. This was the one they gave me.

Ent

If you've successfully downgraded to WinPhone 8.0 / Lumia Black, checked for updates & found your phone is up to date ...

Bad news is ... you may be stuck there. The Lumia Cyan update for (unlocked) Lumia 1520s is already available (I believe).

If I were you ...
- Dial ##7820# on your keypad & see if the lock is unlocked (if Locked, rut roh!).
$1,000,000 question is - are you on AT&T, are you an AT&T customer ?

- I'd hard reset that phone (after backing up, but you may want to reserve your previous backup from (I assume) WinPhone 8.1 Dev Preview)
- check Extras & Info (s/b Lumia Black based on what you've said)
- go to SETTINGS >> Phone Update & see what happens
- IF ' ... your phone is up to date ... ' - you may be waiting quite a while to update to Lumia Cyan (if ever !).
- IF it starts to download something - you're OK (I suspect the former).

EnteriiB

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
did the 7820 it flashes something then goes to "Something happened and we couldn't complete this action. I took a random 938 rom and downloaded it that said white Americas on it. So not sure what ROM I should use. I am on AT&T and yes I am a customer.

it does say Lumia Black. But I had to update that with the DEV preview as it would not update when it was on 8.0 said it was up to date.

Ent

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
did the 7820 it flashes something then goes to "Something happened and we couldn't complete this action. I took a random 938 rom and downloaded it that said white Americas on it. So not sure what ROM I should use. I am on AT&T and yes I am a customer.

it does say Lumia Black. But I had to update that with the DEV preview as it would not update when it was on 8.0 said it was up to date.

Ent

If I were you I would just stay where you are. If indeed you have an RM 938 then you have a better phone than what AT&T sells. Not only will it work and AT&T, but pretty much on any carrier. When MS releases Cyan for the 938 you will likely be able to flash that one. I have a 938 myself and expect Cyan any moment now.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
If I were you I would just stay where you are. If indeed you have an RM 938 then you have a better phone than what AT&T sells. Not only will it work and AT&T, but pretty much on any carrier. When MS releases Cyan for the 938 you will likely be able to flash that one. I have a 938 myself and expect Cyan any moment now.

yep this sounds like your best plan at the moment but go buy a qi charger youll love it :)

PFI-Guy

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem. Got that message and "Phone flashing has been canceled".

Finally got the downgrade to install, then applied the AT&T update and restored the backup.

I followed the various steps from the different threads, but had to do a modified series of steps.

1. Backup the phone to your Microsoft OneDrive account. (Even make a local backup of all the folders you can access from your computer while the phone is connected via USB).
2. Delete the backup from the phone Settings>>Backup>>Apps+Settings and then back it up again to your Microsoft account.
3. Disconnect your phone from the computer.
4. Hard reset the phone (but DO NOT restore nor connect to your Microsoft account).
5 While waiting for the hard reset, uninstall the Nokia Software Recovery Tool (and other Nokia software) from your computer. After it is uninstalled, delete the Nokia folder under the ProgramData folder. (I also uninstalled the Windows Phone software from the same computer). REBOOT.
6. Once the phone is done from the hard reset (DO NOT connect it to your Microsoft account or restore the back), power it down and remove both the SIM and the SD Card.
7. Before re-installing the Nokia software, power the phone on and connect it to the computer. If the computer asks what to do when it sees the phone, select "Do Nothing".
8. Disconnect the phone and install the Nokia Software (right click on the install file and select 'Run as Administrator').
9. Once the Recovery Tool is installed, run it and follow the prompts.
10. If the install succeeds, it will reboot the phone. You will get a 'SIM ERROR', because neither the SIM card nor the SD Card is installed.
11. Go through the setup questions, but do not connect to your Microsoft account or restore.
12. Power down, put the SIM card in and power it up.
13. Go through the 2 to 4 updates from the Settings>>Phone Updates (including all the reboots).
14. When the Phone Updates say there are no more updates available, power down and install your SD Card.
15. Power up, answer any questions and then do a hard reset.
16. During the install setup, make sure to connect to your WiFi and sign in to your Microsoft account. Select restore your data.

Make sure to have a full battery and only during the final restore keep it plugged in.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

yep this sounds like your best plan at the moment but go buy a qi charger youll love it :)

Looks like some good advice - Sounds like AT&T F'd up somewhere ... possibly someone returned it & you benefit. Should you decide to sell it, you may have some takers !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb