09-15-2014 07:22 AM
97 1234
tools
    Right you are Byrese, this is indeed a silly thread ... :D

But ill play along ... I do not use a case because I like them phones naked
    I don't think it is a silly thread, in fact cases are a multi-million pound industry and almost everybody I know with an expensive handset is using a case. I think for something as expensive (and overpriced) as premium phones can be, it makes sense to protect it, especially if you are on a long contract and will still be paying for it in at least a year's time.

I'm grateful to some of those who have posted as it gives me a few ideas. I like the leather cases which you just pull the phone out of rather than the flip cases, but I am struggling to find anything for my Lumia 930 (Icon) here in the UK. seems to be a choice between the cheap crap and the expensive Puhama cases which are great but take weeks to arrive because they come from China.

If anybody knows of anything decent in the UK please shout - there seems to be a gap in the market there for somebody!
    08-08-2014 08:38 AM
    I ride a motorbike all day for my work, the phone is normally in a pocket by itself but sometimes other things end up with it, I bought the Nokia flip case (In red for my black phone) and it's still as new.

I would also prefer not to use a case but given my work I thought it best.

Bob
    08-08-2014 04:30 PM
    This may be silly but I'm curious to know who uses a case for your 1520 and If so why? Which one?

The 1520 is so big that wanted to get a case to protect it. I got a Red Nillkin case(its made in China) and it's awesome. Still, I sometimes I don't carry it because I love the feel of the phone itself. I go back and forth sometimes. Anybody with me on that?

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

I use a brown Nillkin. Best 1520 case available. IMO.
    Scienceguy Labs likes this.
    08-08-2014 04:41 PM
    I use the Incipio PMI charging case on mine. It's relatively thin, protects the back and corners from scratches as well as offering wireless PMI charging. Something I had never thought about until today, it's also a hard case so my phone doesn't suffer from flexing which I have read causes swipe/touch issues on the 1520.
    08-08-2014 05:11 PM
    ... Whoops. I should learn to read. Didn't see this was in reference to 1520 til after I posted. Sorry!
    08-08-2014 05:18 PM
    I use a Muvit Slim Case on my Lumia 625 for basic protection.
    DrSARANG MALI likes this.
    08-08-2014 05:31 PM
    Does anyone have one of these?

TUDIA Ultra Slim Melody TPU Bumper Protective Case for Nokia Lumia 1520 (Black): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

IF so does it protect the camera bump? Hard to telll in the given photos.
    08-08-2014 11:05 PM
    I use a case on my icon because I am on edge and have no insurance.
    08-08-2014 11:15 PM
    I do. It does not. It sits flush with the glass.
    Timbre70 and jammytech like this.
    08-08-2014 11:15 PM
    Am thinking about getting one. Couldn't bring myself to use one on my 925 because it was too good looking. But the 1520 is nothing special looks wise. I did try a clear case on the 925 but stopped using it because I didn't think it gave much protection and even though clear it still detracted from the looks. That 925 converted a lot of people to Windows Phones. The 1520 will get the initial attention based on size even if it looks bland otherwise so no downside for a case other than bulk.
    08-09-2014 09:31 AM
    I thought about it but all I felt I needed was better grip so I use the xtremeguard clear film for the 1525 on the back and a glass screen protector. Did the same with my 925.

Provides a good amount of grip and changes nothing in terms of looks and bulk. Of course it doesn't protect from drops if they do happen but scratches aren't a problem if I put the screen down. Still trying to find a nice ring to put on the camera just enough to prop it up.
    08-09-2014 10:43 AM
    red phone is slippery, so a red piel frama case.
    08-09-2014 02:41 PM
    For my 920 I got one of the ones that goes by many brand names, I think they are Amzer in the WPC store. It's the rubber/plastic combo. I got it because I wanted to protect the phone from drops and the reason I got this one was because it has a kickstand, which is AWESOME! It hides the cool red color, but with no backup phone, I can't risk it!
    08-09-2014 02:44 PM
    Got tired of screen protectors and slowly took the protector off my otterbox for my icon and no glue residue stayed on the case but instead stayed on the protector so I guess if I want it back I can. So now I have a defender with out the plastic screen protector and using the bare screen its pretty nice.
    08-11-2014 12:38 PM
    I use one of the wallet cases when I travel. I find I tend to get my screen scratched more when traveling. Plus, with that, i can leave my wallet at home, so one less thing to worry about.
    08-11-2014 01:00 PM
    i use a translucent jelly case and matte screen protector for protection
    JerseySal likes this.
    08-14-2014 01:05 PM
    I use one of the wallet cases when I travel. I find I tend to get my screen scratched more when traveling. Plus, with that, i can leave my wallet at home, so one less thing to worry about.
    Which one? Anything in particular? I prefer a decent leather case rather than the plastic bumper type cases. There are some good ones on Etsy.com and I like this one, but it's pricey for a bit of felt sewn between two bits of leather:

Nokia case
    08-21-2014 09:17 AM
    I have pretty much always used a case on m devices since I started using pda's and then converged devices. I currently have the 1520 and its in an Incipio feather and I carry that in a horizontal pu leather case I got on Ebay Before the 1520 I had a 920 with an Incipio hybrid case and a pu leather case from the same manufacturer. It's what I've become used to using and it works well for me.
    08-21-2014 12:26 PM
    Does anyone have one of these?

TUDIA Ultra Slim Melody TPU Bumper Protective Case for Nokia Lumia 1520 (Black): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

IF so does it protect the camera bump? Hard to telll in the given photos.
    i have 3 of those. 2 for the 1020, 1 for the 1520. they work great. AVOID buying the yellow one. they get dirty and they look ugly after. but as most cases, the 1020's camera never gets the full protection...

i rarely use it anymore, since i've switched to an MLT wallet case.
    08-21-2014 01:54 PM
    I hate cases, but nokia's inability to make a phone that will not last through one drop without shattering has left me no choice. So now i use the smallest case available (amzer pudding).
    My opinion Followed by some rhetorical questions:
    Why have a nice phone when you need to use a case? Thus proving the popularity of ****ty ugly android phones with good specs
    why doesnt nokia just sell me the internals so i can f'in put it in a f'in case?
    08-21-2014 03:50 PM
    Using a gel case but i wanna try nokia official case or nillkin..which is the best for u?
    08-21-2014 03:58 PM
    Two broken screens later (should have bought stock in Gorilla Glass and Palco Repair Facility @ $200 each repair..) and I finally bought a case. Hate using cases on my phones but not gonna chance it any further. My previous 920 went through a dozen drops and never cracked the screen even once but this 1520 just is fragile as all heck.
    08-21-2014 08:03 PM
    Two broken screens later (should have bought stock in Gorilla Glass and Palco Repair Facility @ $200 each repair..) and I finally bought a case. Hate using cases on my phones but not gonna chance it any further. My previous 920 went through a dozen drops and never cracked the screen even once but this 1520 just is fragile as all heck.
    Would you mind saying how the phones got dropped so many times (>=14)? Might be useful to someone starting out with usage similar to yours. I have never dropped a phone which I'm sure has a lot to do with where and how I use it. I bought but didn't use a case for my 925 because it looked too damn good to cover up but I am going to use one with the 1520 if the case ever gets here from china (last time I do that to save $2) to minimize what I see as MY biggest risk of a drop: someone bumping me from behind while I'm using it. Came close once in a store checkout line.
    08-22-2014 11:39 AM
    Originally I thought phones we're strong enough to handle drops, so I stopped using a cover.

I bought a Sony Xperia S in 2012 and after a few drops, it completely stopped working.

I have a Nexus 5 now, I always keep a cover on it.
    08-22-2014 11:41 AM
    I've used a case on every mobile phone I've owned. I've learned after chipping my first phone a black Motorola KRZR from dropping in a gravel lot to accidentally throwing my iPhone 4s across the train after falling asleep. Some people actually yelled in anguish at the iPhone 4s incident (not me and no damage!)

A twenty dollar investment is a small price to pay instead of a 200 USD repair.

Currently have four cases for my white 1520.3:

Amazon.com: Forester Capdase Nokia Lumia 1520 Ultra Thin Soft Karapace Jacket Case Transparent Crystal Back Cover (Clear White): Cell Phones & Accessories
    Currently being used. I chose this as it is clear matte, allowing the white show to show without being glossy. Only issue would be the annoying opening for the AT&T version of wireless (for the two wireless charging contacts. An aside story, I was mistakenly sent the glossy version. As the cases were both direct from China, I did not have to send back the glossy.

Amazon.com: GMYLE(R) White PU Leather Protective Slim Fit Case Cover for Nokia Lumia 1520: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Also sold by StilGut for $15 more.

Amazon.com: 2014 Susenstore Nillkin Matte Shield Hard Cover Case+ Screen Protector for Nokia Lumia 1520 (White): Cell Phones & Accessories
    Great case but gets dirty fast.
    08-23-2014 01:54 AM
97 1234